Thread: Salmonberries

Default Salmonberries

Has anyone had any luck in Whittier picking Salmonberries?

They might be getting ripe in the Whittier area, but up in Turnagain pass they are either green or the bushes are still in bloom. It'll be a terrible berry year up high, so get 'em down by the coast if you find them.

Quote Originally Posted by skinbuck View Post
    Has anyone had any luck in Whittier picking Salmonberries?
    Last weekend they are ready and sweet. We brought home a few gallons. They get the three grins award.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

We picked lots of them last week in the Valdez area.

Every summer my family and I go out on camping trips 30-35 miles north of the village and pick salmonberries. This season we picked 35 gallons, should be enough to last us all winter. My wife and 3 daughters really enjoy the trips, I enjoy them too except for the mosquitos and no-see-ums. Gotta have a good no-see-um proof tent and lots of bug repellent, a little wind always helps too. On calm days the mosquitos are just thick.

Default Question...

Does anyone know where to find salmonberries in the Fairbanks area? Any info would be appreciated...I know it isn't really the season for them yet but I want to be prepared! (detailed directions or landmarks would be greatly appreciated...we just moved here!)

here is the problem with common names for plant species.

The "salmonberries" originally being discussed in this thread are Rubus spectabilis, which grow in coastal areas of southern (and western?) AK, many fruits on large bushes, but definitely not in the interior of the state.

The "salmonberries" talked about by Nukalpiaq are Rubus chamaemorus, also called cloudberry, which are common on wet tundra in western Alaska in particular, with scattered locations elsewhere. These are very small forbs with a single berry on each female plant. Plants are actually either male or female, with only the females yielding a berry.

jb_153, you'll have to head to the girdwood or kenai pen. to get the first kind of salmonberry, and I am certain that anyone who knows about the second kind, which i call cloudberry, near fairbanks, or anywhere in the state will remain very tight lipped about their whereabouts.

The swedes and finns went to war specifically over claims to cloudberry meadows years ago, and I assure you that you will have to find the patches in Alaska on your own, and the odds are against you finding them in the interior unless you enjoy bushwhacking, mosquitoes, and wet feet.

Best advice I have is to take every opportunity to get out and explore, and to not always follow the easy route, and you will eventually locate good berry patches that you won't want to tell anyone about.