Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

I am taking my 17 year old grandson moose hunting. The area is 50”, 3 brow tines and very brushy. I will be calling moose and we need to be separated by 30 to 50 yards. The problem is, he does not know how to tell if the bull is legal. How do you signal your partner when to shoot or not? The only thing I can come up with is to yell “yes” or “no”, which seems dumb because the moose will also hear me.

i'd say yell yes or no, moose don't always run for the back 40 just because of a noice you make. being sure to be legal is much more important than possibly scaring a moose away, you don't want your grandson's first experience to be a bad once fue to a sub-legal bull getting shot. plus, if it's a legal bull concentrating on you after a yell, it might not see him raise his rifle.

better to be safe and sure, than sorry.

Send him a text message that is the way his generation communicates.

Can't use cell phones or radios to co-ordinate hunting.

Thumbs up 550 cord.

Get a rope/550 cord and he has one end tied to his belt – you have the other.
    1 tug = shoot -
    2 tugs = don’t shoot -
    A bunch of tugs = a bear is attacking you and he should turn and shoot the bear FAST -

Drew

Default If the cell phone rings

pull the trigger. Never have to answer the phone.

Why do you have to be seperated? I called a moose in to 35 yards of myself and my buddy. My buddy and I were seperated by 10 yards..he heard me hiss "take 'em" with no problem.

Default Teach Him

Explain/Teach him how to tell if the moose is legal or not. This way he'll benefit for years to come and will be able to someday hunt on his own. Get the "Is it legal" video for F&G have him watch it. Further explain. Pull up pics of bull moose on the web and ask him if they are legal or not. If he's 17 he's more than capable of learning to determine if its legal. The biggest thing to teach him though is if he's unsure at all DON'T SHOOT!!! Just a thought.

hey lanche - isn't it about time for you to head off to start your 6 week stretch of hunting?

good luck, stay safe, get some animals, and take lots of pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Explain/Teach him how to tell if the moose is legal or not. This way he'll benefit for years to come and will be able to someday hunt on his own. Get the "Is it legal" video for F&G have him watch it. Further explain. Pull up pics of bull moose on the web and ask him if they are legal or not. If he's 17 he's more than capable of learning to determine if its legal. The biggest thing to teach him though is if he's unsure at all DON'T SHOOT!!! Just a thought.
    While this is very true it is not near as funny as shooting rounds over your buddies head. Try to hit near by alders for better recognition. One for no two for yes.

This is a sure way to either create a non-partner or awaken old combat instincts.

Default Getting ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    hey lanche - isn't it about time for you to head off to start your 6 week stretch of hunting?

good luck, stay safe, get some animals, and take lots of pics!
    Yeppers. Get off work August 20th and kick it off on the 21st with a caribou with the wife. Hope to end it on the end of September with a black bear hunt and a bunch of other fun in between.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Can't use cell phones or radios to co-ordinate hunting.

How about two tins can and a rope!

Default Signal

Tom,
    Just come up with a signal like a raven call or a particular moose call. Even hitting a tree trunk with a stick a certain number of times would work. If he hears three wacks- shoot! That way you could continue to call and brush thrash without alerting the moose.
    Good luck,
    Patrick

Default Video

If memory serves me correctly, doesn't the state put out a video on that very subject.