Thread: E.O. Knik Arm Drainage Area (Coho)

Default E.O. Knik Arm Drainage Area (Coho)

The bag and possession limit for coho salmon has been increased from two (2) per day and two (2) in possession to three (3) per day and three (3) in possession in those waters of the Knik Arm Drainage Area that are open to salmon fishing, excluding Jim Creek. This change goes into effect 12:00 a.m., Saturday, August 16, 2008.

So how does everyone interpret this applied to the Knik River itself, in particular, the part of the Knik River BEFORE you get to Jim Creek itself?

If you read the statement it says Knik Arm Drainage not Knik River drainage. Jim Creek is on the Knik River Drainage. Fish,Cottonwood, Wasilla and the Lil Su are on the Knik Arm Drainage.

It means that every place that you normally fish for coho in the Knik Arm Area, except Jim Creek, the bag limit is now three. That would include the Knik River, except those waters that are closed to fishing for salmon (Bodenburg Creek and the waters of Knik River with a 100-yd radius of the mouth of the creek).

Just remember that any part of clear water that came from Jim creek is considered Jim Creek.

Most rivers have a radius of 1/2 mile from the confluence regarding regs.

There is a definition of what is a stream mouth in the Alaska statutes. I could not find it but I have seen it before.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I ended up calling the Palmer ADF&G office, since we all aren't quite sure either. The woman who answered thought the EO included the Knik River, because it didn't specifically exclude it, only Jim Creek itself. Meaning, in the Knik River, not in or around the confluence with Jim Creek, the limit would be 3, not 2.

But she couldn't be sure I wouldn't get a ticket if I took 3 silvers home. So I called the Palmer Wildlife Troopers, and the first person I talked with wasn't sure either...waiting (maybe a long time?) for a field trooper to call me back for a reading on the EO...

So does that mean the interpretation is left to individual troopers? I would think the office would have a standard policy...but from some of the stories in here about enforcement, maybe not...

Any Wildlife Troopers reading this have any input?

Default The intent

of the EO was to allow the catching of more fish in locations where goals for spawning fish were exceeded. Since this does not include Jim Creek, any fish that would spawn in Jim Creek is excluded. Therefore the Silvers limit in the Knik below Jim Creek would still remain 2 since those fish were obviously Jim Creek bound.

Quote Originally Posted by AKKCChief View Post
    of the EO was to allow the catching of more fish in locations where goals for spawning fish were exceeded. Since this does not include Jim Creek, any fish that would spawn in Jim Creek is excluded. Therefore the Silvers limit in the Knik below Jim Creek would still remain 2 since those fish were obviously Jim Creek bound.

This is not accurate. If the Knik River was to be excluded, the EO would have stated it. Keep in mind that the coho bag limit for Eklutna Tailrace was already at three and the area open for the tailrace includes a portion of the Knik River. Fishing effort in the Knik River itself away from stream mouths typically isn't very high.

As I stated previously, all the waters of the Knik Drainage Area that are normally open for coho salmon, except Jim Creek are liberalized by the EO.