Thread: Question about regs for private sales

Default Question about regs for private sales

I understand that you must be over 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun in a store and over 21 to buy a pistol. As far as I know also this reg is also the same for private sales. Could someone with actual knowledge of this confirm or dispute this for me so I can make sure Iím straight? I want to make sure I do the right thing.

A little background, I have a gentleman interested in buying a pistol from me. Seems like a real stand up guy only issue is that in talking with him I found out he is 19. I then told him we would have to go through "parents" or something like that. Then I was thinking "what if he is out on his own, away from his parents and they might not even be around"? I personally was out of my parents house at 18 making my own living just seeing my parents a weekend or so a month. I also have been in the military for 22 yrs and have had PLENTY of Soldiers under the age of 21 covering my right or left flank with everything from M-4's to 50 Cal MG's and out of the 53 Soldiers we lost on that deployment there were a few that were under the age of 21 let alone the ones that got wounded in action so you can see where my personal opinion is....

I feel this gentleman is plenty mature/capable of owning a pistol but putting aside my personal opinions, I just need to make sure Iím doing the right thing, the pistol is a target pistol, not some TEC 9 with five 100 round mags and a fileíd off serial number.....

Thanks for any input and help!

Will

Thanks!

Good question.

Makes me think back to when I bought my first pistol from one of my shop teachers. I had to get a ride from my buddy since I was not old enough to legally drive yet. These days some nosey neighbor could get that guy in deep trouble.

I wonder what the age to be in possession is these days?
    It used to be 18 for handguns, but then again, I retired from Law Dawging 6 years ago and there has been plenty of time for more meaningless laws passed by nanny state lovers.

If the possession age is still 18 for handguns, I would just give him the gun as a present and the sell him a $200 box of ammo.

I think you are actually OK,

Look up Alaska Statue 11.61

http://crime.about.com/gi/dynamic/of...ion/alaska.pdf
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

AS 11.61.210. Misconduct Involving Weapons in the Fourth Degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree if the person

(1) possesses on the person, or in the interior of a vehicle in which the person is present, a firearm when the person's physical or mental condition is impaired as a result of the introduction of an intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance into the person's body in circumstances other than described in AS 11.61.200 (a)(7);

(2) discharges a firearm from, on, or across a highway;

(3) discharges a firearm with reckless disregard for a risk of damage to property or a risk of physical injury to a person under circumstances other than those described in AS 11.61.195 (a)(3)(A);

(4) manufactures, possesses, transports, sells, or transfers metal knuckles;

(5) manufactures, sells, or transfers a switchblade or a gravity knife;

(6) knowingly sells a firearm or a defensive weapon to a person under 18 years of age;

(7) other than a preschool, elementary, junior high, or secondary school student, knowingly possesses a deadly weapon or a defensive weapon, without the permission of the chief administrative officer of the school or district or the designee of the chief administrative officer, within the buildings of, on the grounds of, or on the school parking lot of a public or private preschool, elementary, junior high, or secondary school, on a school bus while being transported to or from school or a school-sponsored event, or while participating in a school-sponsored event, except that a person 21 years of age or older may possess

(A) a deadly weapon, other than a loaded firearm, in the trunk of a motor vehicle or encased in a closed container in a motor vehicle;

(B) a defensive weapon;

(C) an unloaded firearm if the person is traversing school premises in a rural area for the purpose of entering public or private land that is open to hunting and the school board with jurisdiction over the school premises has elected to have this exemption apply to the school premises; in this subparagraph, "rural" means a community with a population of 5,500 or less that is not connected by road or rail to Anchorage or Fairbanks or with a population of 1,500 or less that is connected by road or rail to Anchorage or Fairbanks; or
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thank you! Pretty cut and dry. Thanks again

Yep, you're good in Alaska to sell a pistol to a private individual as long as they are 18 years old and not disqualified under any of the other pre-conditions. The 21 year age requirement is federal law and only applies to federally licensed firearms dealer.

The catch comes when you buy the pistol from a dealer because you are 21 and you're really buying it for someone who isn't 21. That's referred to as a straw purchase and can carry up to a 10 year penalty and $250,000 fine.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Hey a thread about me. I really appreciate the time and pictures you sent me wholden. I ended up convincing my Father to take my money to sportsmans to pick up a stainless steel buckmark and a few rounds for it. I am leaving the state soon so the firearm is really my Fathers and not mine. I would have loved to purchuse your buckmark from you but I guess it just wasnt ment to be. Once again I appreciate your time and help.

Thatís great! You can see now that it is OK for you to get a pistol though private sales. I just wanted to make sure, with everything that has happened in the past few years. Your Dad seems like I really great guy from what you have said and what he did, you are very lucky!

Iím sure you will be pleased with your new Buck Mark, it is a good pistol and I think will give you plenty of adjustment on the sights and the trigger for target shooting like I think you were looking for.

Good luck in school, and your future endeavors!

Will

I wanted to bring this thread TTT just to confirm there is really no restrictions or paperwork/background checks for any private party firearm transfer/sale as long as they are not NFA/Class III restricted firearms.

As long as the buyer is over 18...?

Also, are there any restrictions for number of firearms you can purchase in a day from an FFL or private party?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post

Also, are there any restrictions for number of firearms you can purchase in a day from an FFL or private party?
    Only restrictions are #1) Your wife/signifigant other, #2) your personal finances, & #3)the size of the truck you have to hual them in (probably in that order!)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Here is a link to a synopsis of the Alaska State Firearms laws.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/AKSL.pdf

Also a link to a summary of Federal Firearms Laws.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=60

From what I have read there are no restrictions on how many firearms can be purchased in a day. Hope these help.

Default A new gun

You may not purchase a gun, from a dealer, for another person. Whether it is new or used. When purchasing from a dealer the application, for the background check, asks; if you are purchasing this for yourself or someone else. Purchasing a firearm for someone else (a straw purchase) is a crime. These are not AK laws, but Federal laws. Enforced by the ATF. The law makes mention of bona-fide gifts, but I do not recall the application having a place to answer that question. Fraudulent entries on your ATF background check are crimes.

That being said. Persons not restricted can transfer firearms legally between each other. For sale or free. So even if you only own this gun for 1 day and decide to sell it, you can transfer it to an unrestricted person legally. Your lawyer may need to be consulted before doing so.

Also remember most people talk their way into a violation. Us caution when opening your mouth, choosing your words carefully.

Lets be safe and legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_purchase

There is a limiting factor to how many firearms you can buy in a day in Alaska, there are only 24 hours in a day.