Thread: Most difficult fly tying step

Default Most difficult fly tying step

I was trying my luck at tying up some ESL and have found the "final whip" technique to be most difficult. I watched videos (youtube) on doing it by hand, and with a tool, but both look daunting. I am a total noob in this so any suggestions or resources to learn this knot? Of course I could always tie a ghetto knot and glue it...muhahahahaha.. or probobly need to join a fly tying club here in the fairbanks area.

If you have ever tied up egg loops, it is much the same. It basically makes kind of a half hitch over and over. I have mainly used a tool, but by hand isn't all that hard either. Your best bet is to have someone show you in person. If that isn't a possibility, go ghetto!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Try here

http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/matarel...finishvid.html Keep trying you will get it.....DB

Default Be at the Shop

Dude! You know we offered 12 weeks in a row in Fairbanks this winter every Sat for free. Fly tying lessons notice the word Free to inlcude the materials. Dude!

That being said I will be at the Shop Friday Night 5:00 - 7:00 PM Sat 10:00AM till 12:30PM

Stop in I will show you two fail safe methods to make this easy for you! FREE! I do not sell fly tying material or anything related! No Sales Pitch just a quick lesson.

Dude!

I know I am ragging on you sorry! Please feel free to stop in either Friday night or Sat morn. Aftet that I am on the river for three days.

Richard "Moose' Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafintg.com

Default Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Dude! You know we offered 12 weeks in a row in Fairbanks this winter every Sat for free. Fly tying lessons notice the word Free to inlcude the materials. Dude!

That being said I will be at the Shop Friday Night 5:00 - 7:00 PM Sat 10:00AM till 12:30PM

Stop in I will show you two fail safe methods to make this easy for you! FREE! I do not sell fly tying material or anything related! No Sales Pitch just a quick lesson.

Dude!

I know I am ragging on you sorry! Please feel free to stop in either Friday night or Sat morn. Aftet that I am on the river for three days.

Richard "Moose' Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafintg.com

I'm actually hitting the Parks streams Fri-Sun, but I will look into the classes you mention. That would be great..thx

Default Pen Shaft Technique

I like to use the end of an ink pen. Find a cheap platic ink pen that you can unscew at the middle of the pen. Unscrew it and take out the ink stick/head so you're left with the hollow shaft at the top half of the pen. When you are ready to tie half hitch finishing knots, create a half-hitch on the pen shaft. Then guide the shaft over the eye of the hook while it still holds the half hitch. Gently pull the thread off of the shaft onto the hook shank below the eye. Then gently snug the knot onto the hook. 3 times for light flies and up to twenty times for a burly fly like an ESL.

I like this method for hackled flies like parachute adams and other dry flies. It makes it easier to keep the hackle out of the way of the knots, but it might be easier and cheaper than the whip finish tool.

Cheers,
    Ben

Default My most difficult fly tying step

is spinning and trimming the body of a Rat-faced McDougal. I never can get my trimming to look like the pictures. It looks sort of ratty.

I got a vise as a gift a year ago and never used it until last weekend. I decided I'm done with buying flys, so I tied up some ESL. This was the first time I've ever tied a fly, and in about two hours i had tied up 15 of them. The first 10 were not that great, lol, but the last 5 sure are nice.

I used thsi video as a reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyj1TCLmpZ4

I also have a book that i bought at borders that helped a little. The whip finish was definately the hardest part, but once you learn to do it, its the best way to tie the end. I have a tool to do it also. The trick i found was to not do it extremely tight, or the thread will break with you try to release the tool. PM if you have any other questions.

Just ask anyone at a fly shop, or who ties flies, to show it to you; it is actually really easy to do, less easy to learn from writing/video/pictures.

Go to the Alaska Fly Shop past the freddies and safeway on university. if you're heading from the U it will be on your left. There is always someone tying in there.
    River Runnin

I started out doing whip finishes with a tool (the non-Materelli kind), then eventually bought a Materelli just because I wanted to learn how to use it too. Eventually I moved on to just doing it by hand and that is what I do for most flies these days. Especially the bigger ones like ESLs. I occasionally use my first tool if I am tying up smaller trout flies.

One key that I found is that sometimes the head of your fly gets in the way and then when you are trying to do the whip finish, you unravel your thread. To avoid this, learn to do just a half-hitch. Do one half-hitch first, then it won't come unraveled. Then do the whip finish, which is basically several half-hitches over each other, like said above.

Good luck and welcome to one of the most addicting hobbies ever!!!
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Anchorage Library has some good flytying videos you can check out
    NRA Lifetime Member

I production tied for many years, skip the tool! It's faster and easier to whip finish by hand. I also agree with the "have a shop person show you", nearly impossible to explain second hand. Take Blue moose's advice and stop by his place, he knows his stuff and like me cut his fly fishing teeth in Michigan's upper peninsula, got to be a good guy with history like that!

PS the pen body half hitch works to, I find it slow but for a newbie great advice.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Use the Tools Dangling off Your Arms

I agree with Rick. I have tied commercially for 15 years. With that, you tend to pick up the most efficient ways to tie. The less gadgets,the better off you are. A whip-finisher is just another tool you have to keep track of and that gets in the way. Learning to do it by hand will save you a lot of time-and frustration in the long run. There is also nothing wrong AT ALL with 2-3 half-hitches. Any more half-hitches is just a waste of time. I also agree that the best way to learn is to have someone show you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I production tied for many years, skip the tool! It's faster and easier to whip finish by hand. I also agree with the "have a shop person show you", nearly impossible to explain second hand. Take Blue moose's advice and stop by his place, he knows his stuff and like me cut his fly fishing teeth in Michigan's upper peninsula, got to be a good guy with history like that!

PS the pen body half hitch works to, I find it slow but for a newbie great advice.

One of those things came with my tying kit and in 10 years I've never even tried it. By hand gives you plenty of control. I do it with a bodkin ready between my teeth to put tension on the final loop right down to the head. Without that I sometimes find it slips over right at the end. Nothing wrong with a couple of half-hitches either; it's not as pretty but the fish don't care.

What remotealaska and calebsb said. A couple half hitches, glue and done. Works great for me too. HH