Thread: Nelchina Reports?

Default Nelchina Reports?

The folks have permits...typically hunt off the western end of the Denali Hwy. It sounds like creek crossings might be difficult. The F&G recording does not sound too promising. Anyone been out this year and have information to share?

Thanks

Still nothing at Lake Louise...

I went out looking for a sheep yesterday and saw about 25 caribou with 1 being a true monster bull. They are out there.

The bou are running at Lake Louise! Seen them all weekend along with gun shots. Almost got a couple myself....with the truck! Be careful, they come out of no where along the road.

Cool Nelchina

Hunted the east end of Denali up to McLaren and they were few and far between. Some guys did OK way back in the Alphabets but the crossing was not conducive for wheelers. Not so the gnats and flies-about as ugly as it gets, especially with no breeze. Probably a minor blessing we didn't put one down. The few groups sighted were WAY up high in the mountains, not typical for that area. Other than that, the lone cow/calf and a couple of scattered bulls. Did see 3 sets of sow/cubs roaming hard loooking for forage. Cold spring, snow on the south sides still, non-existent summer, few berries-global warming is alive and well on the Denali........

I couldn't help but notice all the caribou racks coming back from Eureka last week, sounds like you guys are hunting in the wrong area.

Default Just a question?

AKHunter45 just a question are you sure they were coming from Eureka and not the Chicken hunt? Were the racks whole? I thought the racks with more than 8 points coming from unit 13 were to be destroyed, i.e. spiliting skull plate, sawing through main beam, etc. It just seems if they are not whole they are difficult to see. I think the Chicken hunt was open through last Saturday. Just curious.

That might be, never thought of that, but i have to believe that some of them had to be coming from Eureka way. If the trophy value has to be destroyed then they might have come from the 40 Mile herd as most I saw were fairly nice one's. The caribou are around though, I've seen them up that way but I don't qualify for tier II so no bou for me unless I go up the Haul rd and i'm not participating in that circus.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the reports and input. I also do not qualify, but the parents do and will be joining them in the field. Mom's almost 70 and still rides a wheeler and gets out and hunts. I don't know how many more years she will be going. I enjoy getting out with them so I will go as long as they will.

Keep the reports coming...