Thread: Smoking Silvers yes or no

Default Smoking Silvers yes or no

Of course it's all about the reds, but this year I havn't caught many of them. I do have many silvers, and to be quite honest, as far as grilling them, I could take it or leave it. So, what about smoking silvers? I don't hear much about that here on the forums. I have a great dry brine that is killer on reds and kings, just never tried it with Silvers. Any advice/comments on this?

Thanks all....

Default silvers

silvers are great for smoking I just did a batch a few days ago turned out great.

My buddy has an incredible hot smoked silver, basically a salt and brown sugar brine. Another buddy got 2nd at the state fair with his cold smoked silvers.

I'm also with you on preferring reds and kings on the grill, but silvers are no slouch on the smoke.

Thumbs up Yes

Doesn't hurt to try. I'm eating some right now that were caught last weekend in Valdez, yum........
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default smoke 'em if you got 'em

hot-smoked some silver last weekend using a brown sugar/kosher salt/garlic powder/seasoning salt brine -- very tasty.

I also grilled up some of the same silver (which is a large chromer), and that was also very good. One thing I can say for silvers over reds on the grill -- not so easy to overcook.

Just smoked some silvers last weekend. Brown sugar, sugar, kosher salt was used for the cure. They turned out great.

Default Wow, you are so right!

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    hot-smoked some silver last weekend using a brown sugar/kosher salt/garlic powder/seasoning salt brine -- very tasty.

I also grilled up some of the same silver (which is a large chromer), and that was also very good. One thing I can say for silvers over reds on the grill -- not so easy to overcook.
    I tend to NOT cook silvers enough, and more than once had to finish one off in the microwave (oh the shame!). Wonder why that is?? hmmmmmm...

Default Can't say for Smoking

but I can 7-10 cases every year and love them. I don't know why smoking wouldn't be just as ggod.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Silvers smoke up just fine. A little dryer then King so adjust your time depending on your tastes.

Default You guys talking about a dry "brine"...

What kind of amounts/ratios of the ingredients do you use?
    Can't wait!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    What kind of amounts/ratios of the ingredients do you use?
    Can't wait!
    Jim
    I use

2 cups white sugar
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup non iodized salt

mix this up and sprinkle on the flesh side. Put in a glass or other non metalic container. Put the first row skin side down then put the next row flesh to flesh. Cover container and refrigerate overnight. The salt will draw some of the liquid out of the fish.

The next day I marinate in a combination of molasses, soy or teriyaki with some garlic and black pepper. You can add other things like hot pepper flakes, jalapenos, onions, etc. Give it a good 8 hours in the marinate and move the pieces around occasionally.

Removed and drain the marinate off. Air dry the fish until it's sticky. Smoke to your preference. Eat and enjoy

Absolutely.

Silvers are great smoked.

To me its all the same smoked. I throw the Chum right in with the silvers.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Got four Kenai silvers brining up in plastic jars as I type.

Will pull them off tonight to air dry... into the smoker in the morning when a good solid pellicle has formed.

Mouth is already watering in anticipation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc, That looks like a treble hook in your picture. I sure hope you were not fishing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Doc, That looks like a treble hook in your picture. I sure hope you were not fishing with it.
    Treble hooks are much better smoked - I am surprise you didn't know that already That looks yummy DOC. I think silvers have the perfect fat content, the perfect texture, and are just great smoked. As you can see, they are my favorite. I love the Salmon University Recipe. It is great....

Default question

Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    I use

2 cups white sugar
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup non iodized salt

mix this up and sprinkle on the flesh side. Put in a glass or other non metalic container. Put the first row skin side down then put the next row flesh to flesh. Cover container and refrigerate overnight. The salt will draw some of the liquid out of the fish.
    I was wondering if you did a coldwater rinse after the brine. I assume you do, but it was not mentioned. This is very similar to my recipe except the 8 hour marinade part, I plan on trying this method.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.