Thread: Hook size for silver salmon

Default Hook size for silver salmon

Guys i need a little help. For mooching with herring in Seward for Silvers what size hook do you use? I need to get some tied up before i go. Thanks guys!

Thumbs up Hook size

I usually use a 4/O, but sometimes will downsize to a 3/O if fishing is slow. There are also a number of commercial rigs that have two differerent size hooks withone being a 4/O and the other 3/O. Hope that helps.

I run a 5/6 combo and haven`t lost one yet this year. Last year I ran a 4/5 combo and had several misses....same hook manu. so I`ll stick w/the bigger ones.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I run a 5/6 combo and haven`t lost one yet this year. Last year I ran a 4/5 combo and had several misses....same hook manu. so I`ll stick w/the bigger ones.

For cut plugs, I like two 5/0 wide gap hooks for the same reason. I get nicer hook sets with the big bait in the way, and fewer dropped fish like i often get with trolled lures using trebles.

Default How do you rig em?

Big Bait - so how do you cut the bait? I bought some little herring - maybe 4.5 inches long and was going to plug cut em - like I would for springers on the columbia in WA state.....then troll them solo or behind a flasher

I also have some large herring that I was going to fillet and cut into slabs for drifting......

Am I on the right track?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Big Bait - so how do you cut the bait? I bought some little herring - maybe 4.5 inches long and was going to plug cut em - like I would for springers on the columbia in WA state.....then troll them solo or behind a flasher

I also have some large herring that I was going to fillet and cut into slabs for drifting......

Am I on the right track?
    Yep. I quit buying troll herring because of the price. The Silvers don`t care as long as it appears to be part of a fish...I just filet a slab off of the halibut bait.

I like the 4/0 for trolling, soaking eggs, ETC...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK