Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Sheep Hunting / Unsuccessful / Picture Request

  1. #1
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default Sheep Hunting / Unsuccessful / Picture Request

    Title says it all.
    Only reason why I am posting is because I gave my word to MDHunter that I would post pictures of our hunt.
    I have learned a great deal from this and hopefully I'll have a trip report in to post on my livejournal. (www.livejournal.com/users/hideamongtrees)
    If you have access to my myspace account, you will see the pictures for yourself. (www.myspace.com/hidingamongthetrees)


    One last thing...
    if there is one major thing that I have learned is that.... everything I have learned from climbing Colorado 14ers (14,000ft mountains) have been completely kicked out the door. You think that you are ready to hunt Alaska? Try a sheep hunt!

    Here are a couple of pictures to hold you over and there are a few on my profile.


    The Husband on the mountain... this is where we have to go...


    Sheep!
    Lambs. Ewes. Some with 3/4 curls. No legals.


    I counted 28 sheep total that we saw... and none were legal.

    They are curious creatures... it was amazing that this one came 91 yards from us (thanks to a rangefinder)!


    A little bit too steep for comfort.
    I couldn't handle traversing this mountain. Time to turn around....


    I think that's all for now.
    Lurker.

  2. #2
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Welcome home, safe and sound. Eating just moose isn't too bad is it?

  3. #3
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Welcome home, safe and sound. Eating just moose isn't too bad is it?
    Ha! Moose is an easy hunt. Bow and back yard. This is intricately planned and thought out. Then, after planning for months, you have to ease your way out and up that mountain side and then grasp on for dear life in *hopes* that you find a full curl.

    This was a great experience for me, though. I needed it.
    Lurker.

  4. #4

    Default

    thanks for the pics CO, and glad you both made it back safely! beautiful country, some animals, and learning that AK mountains are a whole different ballgame - that's a pretty good hunt in my book. sorry you didn't see a legal one, but getting one on your first sheep hunt is a tall order.

    how were the streams and rivers you had to cross? still really high?

  5. #5
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    Unsuccessful I say no, Just call it training and scouting for next year.
    You will get one next year. Nice photos, always nice to be in sheep country.

    Good Hunting

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Right on! At least you got up in to the Sheep Mountains! AlaskaCub and I ran in to 6 other hunters as well, except they were skylining all over the place. Including 3 of them on the ridge above us at 8:45 the night before opening day! They were walking where they should have been glassing which was right above were we got Cubs ram last year. After scurrying around for a few days and seeing 3 more guys we finally found some rams hold up in the gnarly craigs in no mans land. About 9 sub legals. We saw a few other subs and man were they skittish. Any legals were long gone. Too many hunters in the mtns making the sheep nervous. But, we got to spend some more days in the Sheep Mountains and learned a few more things. Plus we got to try out Cubs new Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT! Awesome tent. We had rain, wind, sleet, wind, frost, wind and oh, did I say wind??

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Plus we got to try out Cubs new Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT! Awesome tent. We had rain, wind, sleet, wind, frost, wind and oh, did I say wind??
    Man too bad I don't have a partner for my september hunt, Then I would take my nallo 4 gt which would be the closets thing you can get to packing an RV up the mountain! Going solo I can't aford the extra 4lbs so I will be taking my solo seedhouse, it should keep me dry but not much for creature comforts.
    Coto AK: any hunt up high is a good hunt! I am looking forward to reading the rest of the story.

  8. #8

    Default

    COtoAK I don't think that there is such thing as a truly bad hunt except when you are hauled out by the SAR guys. In that case, you probably had a sucky day but seeing as that didn't happen to you...well you got nothing but good memories to toss around till next year.

    Anyway, I did look through you online journal and saw the rest of your pics and I thought that I saw you carrying what I think to be an Eberlestock. Did I see that right?
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

  9. #9
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    thanks for the pics CO, and glad you both made it back safely! beautiful country, some animals, and learning that AK mountains are a whole different ballgame - that's a pretty good hunt in my book. sorry you didn't see a legal one, but getting one on your first sheep hunt is a tall order.

    how were the streams and rivers you had to cross? still really high?

    Extremely high. I can't even begin to tell you. We had to raft out, but I haven't been able to get that far in my LiveJournal yet.

    I thought that it was because of all the rain when it actual fact, it was because the snow melt. The creeks and rivers were running high because of the snow melt. Although snow on top pushed down the lambs and ewes, it wasn't good news for us because of the way that we came in.
    Lurker.

  10. #10
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Unsuccessful I say no, Just call it training and scouting for next year.
    You will get one next year. Nice photos, always nice to be in sheep country.

    Good Hunting

    Steve
    Thanks, Steve!
    I saw that 3/4 curl and hopefully in the next few year that bad boy will be ready for me to put into the freezer to entertain my guests all winter long.

    It really was good scouting. We know now that we can't traverse that mountain side.
    Lurker.

  11. #11
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Right on! At least you got up in to the Sheep Mountains! AlaskaCub and I ran in to 6 other hunters as well, except they were skylining all over the place. Including 3 of them on the ridge above us at 8:45 the night before opening day! They were walking where they should have been glassing which was right above were we got Cubs ram last year. After scurrying around for a few days and seeing 3 more guys we finally found some rams hold up in the gnarly craigs in no mans land. About 9 sub legals. We saw a few other subs and man were they skittish. Any legals were long gone. Too many hunters in the mtns making the sheep nervous. But, we got to spend some more days in the Sheep Mountains and learned a few more things. Plus we got to try out Cubs new Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT! Awesome tent. We had rain, wind, sleet, wind, frost, wind and oh, did I say wind??
    Glad that your tent worked REAL well for you. Ours did, too. It's a Tadpole 23 North Face. It bunkered down so well that we were actually able to get some good rest while it rained sideways on opening day when we were blocked in.

    You know... I have to admit that I honestly think that there were quite a few things that scared the sheep and one being the bush pilots. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are paid to do what their hunters request of them... but man oh man... it's terrible when you get to the point where you see 28 sheep and most of them run or scatter because they hear a plane closing to them.
    Our biggest thing is that when we were at 4k/ft, there was this SuperCub that came so close to us... it was almost as if they were trying to eye ball who we were, what kind of tent we were in, and check out our equipment. *laugh* They might as well have landed right next to us.
    Oh well... at least I know for next time to make it up side the mountain before the pilots get out.
    Lurker.

  12. #12
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Backcuntry View Post
    COtoAK I don't think that there is such thing as a truly bad hunt except when you are hauled out by the SAR guys. In that case, you probably had a sucky day but seeing as that didn't happen to you...well you got nothing but good memories to toss around till next year.

    Anyway, I did look through you online journal and saw the rest of your pics and I thought that I saw you carrying what I think to be an Eberlestock. Did I see that right?
    Eh... it wasn't a bad hunt. The situation wasn't prime and ripe is all. There is always next year and the year after unless I get pregnant and then I"ll have to take a year off then. I would rather have not been hauled off by the SAR guys.

    I still have yet to add more to the online journal, though. Sorry... I got tired quick and I just wanted to get something... anything started on my trip report. I have friends in Colorado that wanted to hear about the climb right away.

    Eberlestock is my husband's preference on his pack. I really like his pack. It's light weight and he has a gun holder/holster for it. Mine was a Marmot that I paid good $$ for almost 3 years ago, but since has gone down in $$ significantly. That's probably the last time that I'll pay for such a good bag until I find a really good one like my husband's Eberlestock.
    Lurker.

  13. #13
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Man too bad I don't have a partner for my september hunt, Then I would take my nallo 4 gt which would be the closets thing you can get to packing an RV up the mountain! Going solo I can't aford the extra 4lbs so I will be taking my solo seedhouse, it should keep me dry but not much for creature comforts.
    Coto AK: any hunt up high is a good hunt! I am looking forward to reading the rest of the story.
    As soon as I can type it, it will be online.
    Lurker.

  14. #14
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default It's done!

    My trip report is done:
    www.livejournal.com/users/hideamongtrees

    Simple. Easy. I tried to add more pictures than content and html.
    Enjoy!
    Lurker.

  15. #15
    Member akshrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Forget the sheep and how about some sockeyes smoked for me. I am tired of chicken over here.

  16. #16
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Forget the sheep and how about some sockeyes smoked for me. I am tired of chicken over here.
    You are awesome! I owe you some, but sockeye is one fish we didn't catch this year.

    We plan to get some silvers Labor Day weekend and I was planning on hopefully sending you some of that!
    Send me a PM and let me know if there is ANYTHING else that you want me to send you.
    Lurker.

  17. #17
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Forget the sheep and how about some sockeyes smoked for me. I am tired of chicken over here.
    Beware! She might send you some nasty coffee beans.

  18. #18
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Beware! She might send you some nasty coffee beans.
    What? Are you trying to say that North Pole Roasters has nasty coffee beans? If you don't want them, KingFisher, I am quite positive that there are a TON of other people on these boards that would love to receive an anthrax/glitter filled box with North Pole Roasters coffee on the inside of it.
    Lurker.

  19. #19
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Yeah, I haven't felt well since I touched that box. Lawsuit and money have been coming to my mind recently.

    Besides, the glitter had a horrible flavor.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 08-15-2008 at 13:27. Reason: added info

  20. #20
    Member Rick P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer Alaska
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    CO to AK

    Also didn't bring home a sheep, I'll post some pic's after I get them developed. ( About the mountians........told ya so)

    Others personally guys I consider any sheep hunt that doesn't end in injury successful! Fact is we are out there chasing sheep for totally different reasons(at least those of us who do it more than once) than folks chasing moose, not even comparable! Moose is work and getting groceries, sheep is like a devote Catholic visiting the Vatican, IMHO Sheep/ goat hunting is about personal challenge and spirituality!

    Synd
    Ready to join me in the shoe leather only areas now? I had an entire drainage to myself and didn't see a single sign of human traffic the whole time I was out! Really cuts down on the Yahoos when you have too hike 2 days before you statrt climbing.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •