Thread: Problems with T.C. pistol 35 Remington

Default Problems with T.C. pistol 35 Remington

My TC is not firing every time the hammer drops. Some time it will fire on the 2nd or 3rd time I try it on the same shell and may not at all. This is Winchester factory ammo. Any help will be apprecated.

Big Fisherman

If that is a Contender, I had one a looooong time ago so I don't remember all of the inner workings. The gun must be closed all of the way. There is a little flipper inside that must go all the way over. I had to slam the gun shut every now and then to make sure it closed. The shells, if they don't fit right can cause it. Like a thicker rim or one that doesn't go all the way in the chamber.
    It can get you in trouble in bear country or lose a match for you.
    If you don't have trouble with other brands, then it is the WW brass.
    I had the same problem with a Virginia Dragoon .375 super mag. WW was the only brass made. Some of the rims were so thick they would not let the cylinder rotate, others fit. I spent a lot of time making all of them the same thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfisherman View Post
    My TC is not firing every time the hammer drops. Some time it will fire on the 2nd or 3rd time I try it on the same shell and may not at all. This is Winchester factory ammo. Any help will be apprecated.

Big Fisherman
    I'm assuming that you're getting a small dent in the primer when you get a failure to fire. Been there done that with the TC in 35 Remington, though not with factory loads. That condition develops in handloads when the headspace is off on a rimless case. The very small shoulder on the 35 Rem contributes. Basically the case can move forward slightly when the firing pin lands. Easy fix on handloads with the 35 is to neck size only, thereby keeping the case body and shoulder very close to chamber dimensions in order to prevent movement.

Here's question that may help answer the question about factory loads. Have you shot hot handloads or +P factory loads in it, then had extraction difficulties? In the worst situation the extractor/ejector pops up when you open the action, but the case stays in the chamber and requires ejection with a range rod?

If that's happened to you before, odds are good that the ejector/extractor is bent and failing to hold the case securely enough for the firing pin to do it's job. The way that extractor/ejector has to work on rimless cases, it has to move down against spring tension to get out of the way as you chamber a case, then snap back up into the groove in the case once it's chambered. It's a pretty critical relationship. There's also the potential that the spring is weakened and doesn't provide adequate tension to keep the lip in place when the firing pin strikes.

Replacing the extractor/ejector and or the spring may be called for if you're getting a dent in the primer on your failures to fire. If you're not getting the dent, then it's back to bfrshooter's point about the action not closing completely. That will cause a failure to fire without denting the primer.

The whole thing on that extractor/ejector for rimless cases has kept wildcat developers like Kelly from using rimless cases for their super rounds. The E/E for rimmed cases is much more secure and does a better job of extracting at high pressures.

First does it do this with other barrels.second how old is the gun. If it does it with other barrels or is an older model it may be as simple as a worn hammer spring ,a simple fix you can do yourself the springs cost about a buck last time I ordered one. Alex

bigfisherman-

Another thing that I've read about (but never actually experienced myself) is that if you a hammer extension spur, you might need a stronger hammer spring. The extra weight on the hammer slows the hammer as it's falling (the spring isn't strong enough to accelerate it to reach the necessary impact speed and energy).

Try taking it off (if you have one) and see if it still misfires.

Default TC & Winchester

Winchester is known for very hard primers. If you hand load, change to Federal or CCI

Deathray7 is correct on the hammer spur. I had one on my 375 barrel and it would not fire 25% of the time. I called TC and the first thing out of the ladies mouth was take the hammer extension off. I didn't even tell her I had one on. It was explained to me that the gun was not designed for the extension. I took the extension off and never had a problem. For kicks I threw it back on one year and the problem showed up again. I took it off again and have never looked back.