Thread: Flyreel easy on the fingers?

Default Flyreel easy on the fingers?

I'm about to expose my flygear ignorance, so hear goes:
    After 2 seasons of using flyrods for reds on the Kenai; my buddy gets quite a few cracks from his flyreel when a fish takes off; he doesn't react quick enough to get his fingers away from the spinning handle; quite funny, but he doesn't see the humor!
    He was asking me if you could get a flyreel that when a fish is running & taking out line, that the handle doesn't spin.
    Is there such a thing?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Yes there is. A company in Australia makes them and I purchased one and used it this summer after reading about it on this forum.

It is reasonably priced at about $175 and the drag is excellent. The two negatives about the reel is it is heavy and the drag adjustment knob is small and hard to work when you have a fish on. Other than that, thumbs up!

Reel is the Alvey 425B

Jim:
    Tell him to tighten his drag or buy a reel with a better drag. His fingers will still get the occasionaly "whack", but a tighter drag should give him more time to react.
    For reds, the Pfleuger Trion 1990 has a pretty good drag for a reel under $100. If he wants to spend a little more, go with a Ross or Lamson.
    Ben

Default Lots of options

SnowWolfe's info is spot on and the least expensive way to "Getter Done" That is unless you find a Old Martin on ebay. I would stay away from any old DXR by Orivs unless it has been reconditioned to new.

Back in the day you had limited options such as the ORVIS DXR which I believe Lamson made I must be getting older!!!!!

That being said you also might want to check out Peux, Hardy, Marryat, and Orivs's Vortex. None are in-expensive and most are all designed for Salt Water use.

Just thought I would toss in my .08 cents because of inflation.

Best of Luck in your choice!

Tight Lines and Best Wishes.

Blue Moose

Default American Classic Sales

Get and American Classic Sales reel. Built like a tank in Utah and anti-reverse. Excellent drag.

Thanks guys, I'll check out the ones you mentioned. To be honest, I get caught with my fingers in the cookie jar too sometimes, doesn't seem as funny to me.
    Anyway, I like fishing my 8 wt. with a fairly light drag even though I run straight 25 lb. Big Game mono. I think the less initial pull on the fish results in a more docile fish (not always!).
    I did have some reds this year that really put the hurt on me a few times! They just would not budge; it was awesome! Everytime my buddy says, get a heavier rod! I just say, "finesse, finesse!" He actually downgraded by the way, not by choice; his 10 wt busted a tip and he got a 9 wt Lamiglas on sale at TW for 57.00; way nicer rod in my opinion; a little stiffer than my 8 but still pretty sensitive. What the heck am I saying? My flyfishing experience is a total of 6 weeks of sockeye fishing! Not exactly "fly" fishing, but what a kick! Love it, wondered how we used bait casters in the past (now we use those same setups for drifting kings; a little light but they have 2 kings (30 lbers) to their credit last summer.
    Jim

Exclamation They are called.....

Anti-Reverse Fly Reels. There are several good makers out there. Just do some searching and you'll find em.....

Default technique..

Your buddy may benefit more from improving his technique than buying an expensive reel to overcome his short comings. With that being said, he could just buy an anti-reverse reel as mentioned earlier. But it will be much cheaper to change the way he holds the reel. This is nothing new. We all get "popped" every now and then. But if it happens enough to be a problem, your buddy needs to work on his technique.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Anti-reverse reels work well. Wifey uses an American Classic. I have an Orvis in the collection as well, but I like direct drive reels best. Abel makes really nice ($$$) ones, too. My Orvis is a monster size-wise for an 8 wt reel. The American Classic is about the same size as a typical non-AR reel. Changing spools is a bit of a nuisance but otherwise no negatives at all.

Default Better drag

When are out fishing all day a lighter rod and reel is really appreciated. The anti-reverse work but are heavy and clumbsy compared to a regual fly reel. With a good drag you should never get your fingers wacked.

On the low end the Okuma Intergrity works great. I used one for several years and the drag is about the best for a low to medium end reel. Downside is that they are cast aluminum so they are a bit heavy and clunky. I upgrade to a machine aluminum Okuma Helios several years ago and find to me it worth the difference in cost - $125 to $150 vs. $50 -65 for the Integrity. A lighter weight rod with a lighter action will also help by softening the jerking a bit and is a lot easier to flip all day.

With a decent drag I find there is no reason for an anti-reverse reel. It took me a while to figure this out; the anti-reverse looked like the obvious solution at first.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

My idea of fighting drag on a fly reel is the palm of my reeling hand. I have one fly reel that has a good enough drag to stop a big angry fish but I never tighten it enough to do so. Especially not with a rod I care about. Like Dan said, we all get spanked occasionally. Drag won't prevent it.

Default Drag or no drag

As I mentioned in another post I use inexpensive fly rods when fishing for reds - not need to use high end hardware that may get broken. That being said I've only broken a couple of cheap rods in the last 4 or 5 years and I muscle the fish in hard when the Kenai is crowed to get them out of the other fishermens way. If I break a $35 7 or 7/8 wt. rod every couple of years it is no big deal and I don't need to quality of a high end rod to flip slitshot and yarn flies. I've caught a lot of reds and silvers on my cheap setup and out fished a lot of guys with high end rigs.

I also use heavy monfilament line and leader - 40# & 30# generally - and tightened the drag down pretty hard. I occasionally get whacked when I snag a king but the impact is a lot less than with a light drag.

One can always lighten a drag up but if you don't have a good drag you are pretty much outta luck until you learn to use your palm. Okuma has really captured a good part of the low end market with their Intergrity and Helios reels both of which have good heavy drags.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    My idea of fighting drag on a fly reel is the palm of my reeling hand. I have one fly reel that has a good enough drag to stop a big angry fish but I never tighten it enough to do so. Especially not with a rod I care about. Like Dan said, we all get spanked occasionally. Drag won't prevent it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Seems...

the best solution is to be prepared & palm the reel, as my buddy is not prone to spending money on stuff; it took quite a bit of persuasion on my part to get him to buy another rod instead of using his MacGuyver patched-up 10 wt. and that was mostly due to the Lamiglas being on sale! Also, hard to justify big $$$ when the only use of our fly gear is fishing reds 3 weeks during the summer.
    Jim

Default Cheap solution

If cost is a real object get the Okuma polyomer (plastic) version of the Intergity. It has the same drag and I think it goes for around $25 - $30. If it saves getting whacked hard once or twice it is a bargain. Also if you are doing the combat thing as you indicate you can get the fish in a lot quicker - you obviously can't palm and reel in a the same - and show a lot of consideration to those around you that want to catch their fish also instead of waiting on someone playing with their cheap dragless reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    the best solution is to be prepared & palm the reel, as my buddy is not prone to spending money on stuff; it took quite a bit of persuasion on my part to get him to buy another rod instead of using his MacGuyver patched-up 10 wt. and that was mostly due to the Lamiglas being on sale! Also, hard to justify big $$$ when the only use of our fly gear is fishing reds 3 weeks during the summer.
    Jim

Just wanted to be clear that the reels we use do have drags, but when the fish goes ballistic suddenly and rips out line, better get your fingers out of the way! I usually get rapped a few times each year, but with the excitement going on, hardly even notice it! When my buddy gets busted though, it's pretty dang funny cause I can hear the "knuckle rap" pretty loudly even yards away! Just comes with the territory and I'm sure things will improve with experience.
    Jim