Thread: Egg curing question...

Default Egg curing question...

OK, I'm kind of an amature when it comes to curing my own salmon eggs. However, I keep seeing addative products like SODIUM SULFITE and
    SODIUM METABISULFITE. What are these and how are they used?

I can't tell you much about these products. However, if you want an easy way to cure eggs just get on the adn.com fishing site and watch the Fishin' Dude's video on how to cure them. I think he uses a commercial brand like Pautzke's. It's really easy and I have caught many fish with my roe.

Yah, I use the Pro-Cure's "Last Supper" egg cure....works pretty well.

But I'm still curious as to what these addatives are really used for.

I'm going to venture a guess here as I am no scientist. When I use salt (sodium), sugar and brown sugar in my smoked salmon cure I notice that the fillet's are nice and firm when I get done rinsing them. Maybe the salt has something to do with getting the roe nice and firm instead of mushy like they are before you cure them. Once again, just a guess.

Thumbs up Check out the ingredients label on Borax(Boraxo)

That's pretty much the base ingredient for cure products anyway. FYI, using a box of borax costs about a buck, a small jar of Pautskes cure costs about $6.99. All thats missing from straight Borax is the color dye. I make a mixture of both that gives me a slight coloring as needed, or just use straight borax depending on the "brightness: of the eggs right out of the hen.

I used to cure my loose roe in saltwater. The salt firms the shell of the egg while allowing the liquid to be drawn inside the egg for preserving, flavoring and hardening the eggs up.

Try it some time, when you get some loose roe mix up some salt and water and put your eggs in the mixture overnight in the fridge. Check them out the next day. They are great for tying in bags after salt curing.

a newbie question here, but i've seen the small red net/bags a couple times...presumably to hold eggs. i haven't come across these bags yet in a store??

Quote Originally Posted by Hogslice View Post
    a newbie question here, but i've seen the small red net/bags a couple times...presumably to hold eggs. i haven't come across these bags yet in a store??

It's mostly a Great Lakes thing.
    Spawn net such as is this regularly available in the GL region and online of course.

A big choker bag for dirty water is the size of a quarter with the average size being about the size of a nickel.