Thread: RussianRiver Sockeye Tracking

Default RussianRiver Sockeye Tracking

My wife, kids and I hiked into the Russian River Falls Tuesday evening. Looking at the weir counts it seems we picked a good day, although not as good as the 11th.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...l/qResults.cfm

I was really suprised by the lack of people fishing downstream from the falls. We started fishing about 4:30pm and only had about 6 people pass by the time we left at 8:00pm, and only 2 were fisherman. There were a large number of reds stacked in the hole and still some dark kings. We ended up keeping 6 reds. Two were bright, the rest a bit blush but the filets all looked equally good. The highlight came when we discovered one of the fish had a tracking device down it's throat.

It had a label with a return address and phone number for the ADF&G office in Soldotna. I called today and they asked me to return the device with a note describing the date, time, place, and species. In return, they'd send info on the study that the fish was involved in. Pretty cool. I'm still searching for my first banded duck but now I have my fist banded fish so to say.

The campgrounds and lower parking lots were also pretty desolate considering the fishing is pretty darn good.

Sounds like a great day. When you get the info on the fish could you share it with us. There was a guy who caught a tagged grayling in fairbanks this year and found ou the fish was tagged years ago and had traveld over 20 miles. I'd like to hear what you find out if you dont mind.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Will do. I'm curious myself.