Thread: Grizzly 700 tire option.

Default Grizzly 700 tire option.

I punctured my stock wheel and had to ride on a flat for two days. So it's time to put some better stuff on. Mainly used on hunts and local Fairbanks trails. A good mix of mud to rocks...hills to swamps. The clearance on the rotor and the stock 12 inch rims wasn't enough and a rock was wedged tight enough to put a hole in the rim. The dealer recommends a clutch kit if I jump up to an ITP 27 inch tire for a 14 inch rim to help with the weight and force of the bigger tire (yet another $300). Anyone have any good ideas?

I'd get the 26" mud lites and rock on. I've seen this combo (grizzly 700) in action and it'll put on a show...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz_ View Post
    I punctured my stock wheel and had to ride on a flat for two days. So it's time to put some better stuff on. Mainly used on hunts and local Fairbanks trails. A good mix of mud to rocks...hills to swamps. The clearance on the rotor and the stock 12 inch rims wasn't enough and a rock was wedged tight enough to put a hole in the rim. The dealer recommends a clutch kit if I jump up to an ITP 27 inch tire for a 14 inch rim to help with the weight and force of the bigger tire (yet another $300). Anyone have any good ideas?
    Save yourself the money on the clutch kit. You don't need it unless you are going 28" tires or larger. Yamaha improved the springs in the 700 (versus the old 660). When tested, the current stock spring in the Grizzly 700 tested out to be the same strength and tension as the aftermarket EPI clutch kit. EPI will sell you lighter roller weights for your current 700. It will save you a ton of money and give you improved pulling power on the bottom end. That will help with the added weight of the larger tires. Additionally, stay with 12" rims versus 14". 14" tires have a smaller side wall that puts the rim bead closer to the ground. This causes the bead to be exposed to more rocks, sticks, etc. I have 14" wheels on my Rhino and have had a terrible time keeping air in them. I finally got them fixed (for the 5th time) by slimming them. You will be good with 26" or 27" on the Grizzly without having to clutch it. You local dealer is giving you old and bad information. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default 26 inch

I have a 2008 700 26" Mudlites. They are the deal, superb action. NO clutch kit, it is a waste of money..