Thread: Yamaha Grizzly 700 recall

Default Yamaha Grizzly 700 recall

Just got back from a hunt last night. During the hunt I turned my wheeler off about 35 miles from the trail head and noticed a funny sound coming from the gas cap. When I popped it off it was like opening a pressure cooker. The fuel was boiling off in the tank. Called the dealer today and they said they just had a recall on em for that problem. Apparently it can vapor lock without the recall work.

Default any more info

Does any one know any more about this recall the anchorage dealer was not aware or might just be the person I was dealing with

All dealers have not been notified yet. Additionally, it is not being listed as an official "recall" by Yamaha. Here are a couple of links that may add to your information...

The best Grizzly site on the web: http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forums...6869&hl=Recall

Yamaha Factory Modification Campaign site: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/fmc/home.aspx
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

the 660's had the same problem. I still love my 600. 4000 miles and only had to change tires and a belt

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz_ View Post
    Just got back from a hunt last night. During the hunt I turned my wheeler off about 35 miles from the trail head and noticed a funny sound coming from the gas cap. When I popped it off it was like opening a pressure cooker. The fuel was boiling off in the tank. Called the dealer today and they said they just had a recall on em for that problem. Apparently it can vapor lock without the recall work.
    HI THERE ALL, JUST TO LET YOU WITH YAMAHA GRIZZLY 700'S. JUNE 29, 2010 ME AND 4 FRIENDS WERE RIDING ABOUT 2 HOURS, WHEN WE CAME TO A TREE ACROSS THE TRAIL. WHILE THEY WERE TURNING AROUND, I THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK MY GAS TANK? EVER SINCE I BOUGHT IT WHEN I WOULD TAKE THE GAS CAP OFF AFTER RIDING IT, THE GAS WOULD BE BUBLING. SO THIS TIME WHEN I TOOK IT OFF, THE GAS RUSHED OUT OF THE TANK BLOWING MY GAS CAP OUT OF MY HAND AND BLOWING OFF THE GAS CAP COVER. IT WAS HAD SUCH FORCE, THAT IT SHATTERED MY GOGGELS. THE GAS WAS IN A VAPOR LIKE FORM PLUS LIUQED FORM. I WAS PARKED UNDER A TREE AT THE TIME. THE CANOPY WAS ABOUT 20 TO 25 FEET ABOVE ME. THE GAS PRESSURE WAS STRONG ENOUGH TO HIT THE CANOPY. IN ABOUT A 20 TO 30 FOOT RADIUS. WHEN I CONTACTED YAMAHA ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, THEY SAY THAT THERE ARE NO RECALLS ON THIS PROBLEM AND IT SEEMS IAM GETTING THE RUN-AROUND. THIS ATV IS A 2008, BOUGHT IT NEW IN 09. I ONLY HAVE AROUND 60 MILES ON IT. IF THERE ARE ANY ONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM AND HAVING TROUBLE GETTING HELP THROUGH YAMAHA, PLEASE E-MAIL ME. IF THERE ARE ANY ONE OUT THERE THAT CAN ASSIST ME WITH THIS, OR KNOW HOW I CAN GET BETTER ATTINTION WITH YAMAHA, AGAIN PLEASE EMAIL ME. JUST THINK IF I WAS PARKED NEXT TO A CAMP FIRE WHEN I TOOK OFF THIS GAS CAP. OR WHAT IF I HAD TAKEN OFF MY GOGGLES, BEFORE REMOVING THE GAS CAP. PLEASE LET OTHERS NO ABOUT THIS I WOULD BE DISROT IF A CHILD OR OTHERS WOULD GET HURT OR EVEN KILLED. THANKS officermike@yahoo.com.

The pressure is caused by the tank vent system. There is a vent that has a ball in it that is supposed to keep gas from leaking if your roll the ATV. My guess is that a the ball is stuck and causing your tank to pressurize. Yamaha, fuel injected ATV's do not have the old tube vent and use this as a replacement for the vent. If you click on the forum link in AKMuddy's signature block you can find more info on this issue (post #3 in this thread).

Pilot1995

Some have been replacing the tank vent ball check valve with a small inline filter. As above, the filter is there to keep fuel from leaking when you roll. I replaced mine with a filter and don't have the boiling gas problem any more. Check out Nyroc ATV and you can find out more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1995 View Post
    Some have been replacing the tank vent ball check valve with a small inline filter. As above, the filter is there to keep fuel from leaking when you roll. I replaced mine with a filter and don't have the boiling gas problem any more. Check out Nyroc ATV and you can find out more about this.
    That's exactly what I did. Easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by officermike View Post
    HI THERE ALL, JUST TO LET YOU WITH YAMAHA GRIZZLY 700'S. JUNE 29, 2010 ME AND 4 FRIENDS WERE RIDING ABOUT 2 HOURS, WHEN WE CAME TO A TREE ACROSS THE TRAIL. WHILE THEY WERE TURNING AROUND, I THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK MY GAS TANK? EVER SINCE I BOUGHT IT WHEN I WOULD TAKE THE GAS CAP OFF AFTER RIDING IT, THE GAS WOULD BE BUBLING. SO THIS TIME WHEN I TOOK IT OFF, THE GAS RUSHED OUT OF THE TANK BLOWING MY GAS CAP OUT OF MY HAND AND BLOWING OFF THE GAS CAP COVER. IT WAS HAD SUCH FORCE, THAT IT SHATTERED MY GOGGELS. THE GAS WAS IN A VAPOR LIKE FORM PLUS LIUQED FORM. I WAS PARKED UNDER A TREE AT THE TIME. THE CANOPY WAS ABOUT 20 TO 25 FEET ABOVE ME. THE GAS PRESSURE WAS STRONG ENOUGH TO HIT THE CANOPY. IN ABOUT A 20 TO 30 FOOT RADIUS. WHEN I CONTACTED YAMAHA ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, THEY SAY THAT THERE ARE NO RECALLS ON THIS PROBLEM AND IT SEEMS IAM GETTING THE RUN-AROUND. THIS ATV IS A 2008, BOUGHT IT NEW IN 09. I ONLY HAVE AROUND 60 MILES ON IT. IF THERE ARE ANY ONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM AND HAVING TROUBLE GETTING HELP THROUGH YAMAHA, PLEASE E-MAIL ME. IF THERE ARE ANY ONE OUT THERE THAT CAN ASSIST ME WITH THIS, OR KNOW HOW I CAN GET BETTER ATTINTION WITH YAMAHA, AGAIN PLEASE EMAIL ME. JUST THINK IF I WAS PARKED NEXT TO A CAMP FIRE WHEN I TOOK OFF THIS GAS CAP. OR WHAT IF I HAD TAKEN OFF MY GOGGLES, BEFORE REMOVING THE GAS CAP. PLEASE LET OTHERS NO ABOUT THIS I WOULD BE DISROT IF A CHILD OR OTHERS WOULD GET HURT OR EVEN KILLED. THANKS officermike@yahoo.com.
    I smell a troll!!!! Someone is fishing!!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    I smell a troll!!!! Someone is fishing!!!!
    The account seems to be legitimate, with other useful posts around the site. I am no fan of the all caps posts but it looks genuine to me given the posters history. (member over a year, just a low post count).

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The account seems to be legitimate, with other useful posts around the site. I am no fan of the all caps posts but it looks genuine to me given the posters history. (member over a year, just a low post count).
    Are we reading the same thing? Officermike: join date July 2010 with 1 post count?

Quote Originally Posted by Psylas View Post
    Are we reading the same thing? Officermike: join date July 2010 with 1 post count?

x2 agree!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Obviously not.... Sorry guys I was looking into the user on the mod side of the forum and clicked the wrong user

It certainly is weird that someone wouldn't just use google and find the easy fix on this, it is a widely known problem. Really he hasn't broken any rules so just best to ignore it and hope it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Obviously not.... Sorry guys I was looking into the user on the mod side of the forum and clicked the wrong user

It certainly is weird that someone wouldn't just use google and find the easy fix on this, it is a widely known problem. Really he hasn't broken any rules so just best to ignore it and hope it goes away.

Ya, it was an issue with early 700 models in warmer climates mostly. I have heard of a couple up here but not many. Mostly in warm weather dry environments. It seems to be too cool and wet (frequent water crossings) for it to be a big issue up here. There is a widely known fix for the issue. A simple "google" search will point you in the right direction. I have never had the issue or experienced it with any of the 20 or so Grizzlys I ride with but I have heard of the issue enough to know it is real. The gas boils from pressure build up, not heat, as many would think.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660