Thread: New Honda or Yamaha 20 HPOB

Default New Honda or Yamaha 20 HPOB

Want a new Honda or Yamaha 20 HP Short Shaft 4 Stroke outboard. Honda around 104#
    Yamaha 114#. Have heard a little negative on the Honda, good things about the Yamaha.
    Yamaha is around $300 less money. Give me some input. Going to go on my 21' Scott
    Freighter canoe.

Default both good

I don't have experience with that HP in either motor but I do own both Yamaha and Honda outboards (Y2k 4 strokes). Both have been awesome, you can't really go wrong. One thing I will say, I have been more pleased with my Yamaha service experience. PM me if you want info on that.

I talked to my kenai guide about outboards last weekend. Seemed everyone was running yamahas, He said the hondas were great, just not the push that the yammis have or something like that.
    His was 7 years old and had worked every season guiding. It purred like a kitten.

I know thats not much info, but i was really impressed with the amount of yamahas out on the water. I bet 90 percent of the motors were yammahas.

Default 2nd year...

we've had our 2003 25 Yamaha 4 stroke; although I don't have a reliability report per se, we're happy with the motor. Starts every time with the push of the button (elect. start) no matter if it sat in sub-zero temps all winter. See more Yamaha's then anything else, that should say something but depending on your location, service may be king.
    Jim

Default Mostly Yamaha outboards

I'm in agreement with everyone else. I've traveled around a bit to various bush communities and have noticed by and large the majority of outboards tend to be Yamaha's and the majority of ATV's/four wheelers tend to be Honda's. I don't know why this is but I have found this to be very consistent throughout the state.

I am also in the market for a Yamaha or Honda 15-20hp, 4 stroke, longshaft, and Honda's are much more expensive. Maybe this is the reason for there being more Yamaha's running around. All things being the same, a new 15hp Yamaha is about $2300.00, where as the same Honda (on sale) is around $2800.00.

Can't go wrong with either one, find the best service where you live.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!