Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 rebored to 35 Whelen

Default 30-06 rebored to 35 Whelen

Just sent my MRC 1999 30-06 off to Clearwater Reboring to have it rebored to 35 Whelen. Rifle has a 24" # 4 fluted barrel, so I am not too concerned about barrel wall thickness.
    I was curious about weight reduction and their process for altering the caliber mark, so I email their Company and Allen informed me that based on his calculations barrel weight would be reduced by approximately 2.57 ounces when rebored to 35 caliber on this 24" barrel. As for altering the caliber mark, he stated they normally use a 3/16" end mill, to mill a pocket just deep and long enough to remove the old mark. Then the new caliber mark is placed on the bottom surface of this pocket using a New Hermes pantograph engraver. Reboring job will take approximately 16 weeks. Must be a few rifles ahead of mine. My rifle wears a HS Precision stock which is a little on the heavy side so I am considering replacing it with one that is a little lighter, sometime this winter. Haven't decided which stock company to go with on this project yet. Still need to look at some options.
    I keep telling myself that I will work on just one more rifle project for this season and call it quits for the year, but for some odd reason I just can't stop planning out another and another and another..........Anyone ever have this problem?

Sent my .25-06 Mauser barreled action to Clearwater the end of April so maybe I'll be getting it back soon! I'm having it rebored to the 9.3x62mm. It's got,or had I hope by now,a 26" semi varmint bbl that I'm getting cut back to 20" and will measure .75" across the muzzle.
    As far as stock options for you go,I can put in a good word for Brown Precision stocks. I've had one on my S&W(HOWA).300 for over 20yrs and have never had a problem. It was designed for a Sako but worked out fine. You mention wanting light weight,mine goes 26oz.
    As far as our problem? I have no problem! Just because I finished up a S&W(Husqvarna)today and am waiting for a Mod70 Classic Featherweight from the gunsmith doesn't mean I have a problem. At least that's my opinion and I'm stickin to it!

til later

35 whelen is a great round, you should enjoy it once the long wait is over.

35 Whelen is easy to load for and is just a good meat and potato cartridge. You should have a lot of fun with it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

300S&W,
    Just sent Brown Precision an email to ask a few questions. Looking at their website seems they have 2 blanks available that should work with the MRC 1999 action; Alaskan and Classic Style Hunting. The Elephant hide finish on their Pro Hunter Elite rifle also looks like a great finish, nice textured look to it, seems it would have a good grip even in the rain.
    I am really looking forward to this rifle, always wanted a 35 Whelen in a bolt action. A few years ago I bought a Remington 7600 pump action in 35 Whelen, it's a nice rifle too.
    Thanks

Default "Walrus hide finish"

"Walrus hide finish" sounds better for Alaska. I bet the 35 Whelen would be a good walrus hunting caliber especially with 225 or better yet the 250 grain bullets. Probably be more effective than the 30-06 and the 220s, which grandpa's always used during his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    "Walrus hide finish" sounds better for Alaska. I bet the 35 Whelen would be a good walrus hunting caliber especially with 225 or better yet the 250 grain bullets. Probably be more effective than the 30-06 and the 220s, which grandpa's always used during his time.
    I am not so sure it would me more effective than the 06 with a 220 grain bullet but you could be right about that. I know the 240gr Woodleigh bullet has vaulted the 30-06 to new levels of use.

I can't wait to get my 06 back so I can finish my load development of that load. No matter how you look at it the 35 Whelen is a fine proven cartridge and as I said you should really have a lot of fun load developing, shooting and hunting with the 35 Whelen.

Cartridges developed through the years off the 06 case sure are dependable and perform very well.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

one thing for certain you're rebore'd barrel if it shot decent will most certainly be a good shooter when done. I had dealings with Jim and studied his career some prior to sending him my .30-06bbl. off my Rem. 30 to be rebored to the "famous" .338-06 A-Square. His work is exceptional! It was the first Rem. 30 he has ever had in his hands and when done it shot like a house afire!

I think because of the "sentimental" consideration of that old rifle the rebore was just. When I get a hankering for another "project" it is a full barrel replacement not the rebore. What ever you're need is or requirements are for in another rifle project "just do it" or go to church and have them "lay" hands on you to be delivered I believe that to be the only cure.

I like the "new" Murphy round that shoots the 400 bullets so........I too still need a winter project. If the "rifle" becomes part of your soul then I suspect there is no cure-keep us informed down the road.

How is the .35 Whelen with grizzly, brown bear, or moose. With the right load is it as good as a .338? If so what loads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    How is the .35 Whelen with grizzly, brown bear, or moose. With the right load is it as good as a .338? If so what loads?
    The Whelen is a good choice for any North American big game. Although you may have seen differences in loading manuals between 35 Whelen and 338-06, in reality you will never notice them under real world shooting or hunting conditions. Over the past couple years my 35 Whelen has become my go-to gun for all of my hunting. So far, I have killed moose and caribou with it and been completely satisfied. I personally don't see the need for anything bigger.
    The one advantage to the various 338's that guys used to talk about was bullet selection. I don't think that is much of a factor any more. There are plenty of good choices nowadays for 35 caliber bullets. I have been using 250 gr. Kodiaks. If Nosler ever brings out 250 gr. Accubonds in 35 caliber, I'll probably give those a try, too.

The 250gr partition and 225gr accubond are two very good choices for bullets.
    Reloader #15 , H4895, and TAC are also good for the powder.

Clearwater Reboring finished my 30-06 to 35 Whelen rebore project back in April. Finally got 'er paid for and the rifle should be home soon. Now gonna consider gettin a lighter stock for it. The HS seems to be a lil on the heavier side. Brown Precision was my first choice but decided to keep my options open for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Clearwater Reboring finished my 30-06 to 35 Whelen rebore project back in April. Finally got 'er paid for and the rifle should be home soon. Now gonna consider gettin a lighter stock for it. The HS seems to be a lil on the heavier side. Brown Precision was my first choice but decided to keep my options open for now.
    Nukalpiaq.....ur AWSOME! Way to be unique and own a gun chambered in rifle cartridge that is both unique and a truly "do everything in AK" kind of gun. Way to pay resptect to a cartridge with a rich heritage amongst all the new ones out there. Good luck with that gem!

Here is the caliber remark Clearwater did on my Mauser:

Thanks for posting the pic 300S&W. Looks like the pantograph engraver did a good job on your rifle's new caliber mark. I was wondering what the end result would be of the process.

Is the Caliber mark made by the Pantograph as deep as the original stamped mark? I tried to have the caliber mark done by a trophy engraver and the mark was very shallow into the steel. I was going to Cerakote the action and it wasn't even deep enough to show through the coating.

I'ts not as deep as the markings under it in the photo. It's as deep as the cartridge id on my S&W bbl but not as deep as the manufacturing logo on it's receiver. I've never had any Cerakoting done but I'd guess and say it could be of concern.

Default Great cartridge

You'll have to get back with everyone on how this turns out. I really like this bore size, it should work out nice here.

Nukalpiaq,

Congrats on the rebore. Several years ago I picked up a 1941 Model 70 30-06 that had been converted to left handed (receiver cut, rewelded and bolt on the left side, still loads on the right) and sent it off to Cliff Labounty for a rebore to 35 Whelen. Cliff has since retired but he did a great job. The rifle went away shooting pretty good. It thinks it is a varmint gun now. It shoots any 250 grain bullet into less than an inch with boring regularity. I guess that old gun just always wanted to be a 35 Whelen. I have yet to blood the old Whelen but have no doubts about it's capabilities. It seems that the days I leave it home and hunt with something else are the days I get game; no reflection on the rifle, just coincidence.

You are really going to enjoy the Whelen. Congrats again.

Mart

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences with the 35 Whelen, I am looking forward to getting this rebored rifle home soon so I can start shooting it, probably use the stock that is on it for the time being until I can afford to get a lighter one.
    Mart, I dont know if my rifle wanted to become a 35, previous owner said it shot pretty well as a 30-06, when I looked at it I initially saw a 338-06, then my vision cleared a bit and I saw a 35 Whelen right there in my hand, which I always wanted in a bolt action. With the Montana action and fluted #4 contour barrel I think it will be a nice rifle too. Gotta find a good leupold scope to mount on it when it gets home.
    The 35 whelen rifle you described sounds pretty unique, your rifle must have been built before left handed rifles started being put out on the market by the manufacturers. Man, when I think about it gunsmiths back in the day sure knew how to do a lot of pretty cool smithing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast