Thread: Haul rd questions

Default Haul rd questions

myself and a partner are planning a caribou hunt for early September, we plan on doing the 5 mile hike in and hunting rifles. Problem is we are getting alot of conflicting reports or the general area to go, we've heard galbraith lake good and bad for that area along with a ton of other conflicting advice. Can anyone point us in the right direction??

The problem you probably have is that there is no *one place* to go as you need to follow the migrating herd. This herd changes paths/times/dates on some internal setting that I don't think anyone has ever truly figured out. Once you get to the top of Atigan Pass, from there to the ocean you may see caribou. If you hike in the wrong spot you may never see anything, then again you may see tons of animals. If you are walking, be sure to check you topo maps real close and plan on any area where you DO NOT have to cross any large rivers or streams. Take a high quality GPS that you know how to use as the enforcement folks fly SuperCubs everywhere up there and can land most places we can walk (besides it is always best to follow the rules).
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Galbriath Lake

There is a trail behind the gravel pits at Galbriath Lake that is by far the "easier" of the walks out to 5 miles. We did it last year around Labor Day, but there where no bou in that area, they were all around Toolik Lake and north. I have also done the 5 miles in just down the road from Toolik Lake two years ago and saw a lot of bou. But we got snowed on in the middle of August. The 5 miles in the middle of the tundra was much worse. But as said before, you never know where the bou are going to be one hour to the next.

Default On the move

Quote Originally Posted by janda5854 View Post
    myself and a partner are planning a caribou hunt for early September, we plan on doing the 5 mile hike in and hunting rifles. Problem is we are getting alot of conflicting reports or the general area to go, we've heard galbraith lake good and bad for that area along with a ton of other conflicting advice. Can anyone point us in the right direction??
    Think of the caribou as a migrating animal - because, they are.
    They move.
    To tell you to hunt at location x on day x, will only put you at a particular place at a particular time. That doesn't mean there will be critters there.

My first time: It was like National Geographic. The caribou were EVERYWHERE. It was spectacular.
    Second time: There were caribou, albeit sporadic
    Third time: Caribou were moving, groups of 25 or so... found a herd of 300 hundred-ish. Good time. Understand that during this seven day trip, a chunk of pipeline was HOT for three days. Then, nothing. Not a critter to be found. 60 miles south is where we found the herd of 300.

Fourth trip - saw NINE (9) caribou in ten days.

Same 400 mile stretch of road. Same period.

Going up this year - I haven't the foggiest what to expect. I'll be happy to be hunting. Thrilled to see caribou. Just down right ecstatic to take one home.

Many 5 mile hikers like Galbraith because you can get about 2 miles off the road before you begin the walk. If there aren't caribou near Galbraith where you park your car, you're probably in for a nice 3 mile walk.
    Toolik has a couple areas that can get you away from the road without walking the tundra - same rules... no caribou near Toolik? Nice hike.

Once you cross Atigun pass, start looking for caribou. When you see decent groups of caribou, then you may have found a place you would want to consider hiking five miles out.