Thread: Mushy King

Question Mushy King

I caught a king earlier in the season. It was slightly blushed, but I figured I'd smoke it anyway. The meat was a little mushy when I froze it, but when I unfroze it, it was allot more mushy. Kinda want to just throw it away. Was wondering if it is worth smoking or not?

Give it a try to see if it turns out. It beats wasting what might be potentially decent tasting fish.

If you put a turd in the smoker, all you get out of it is a smoked turd.

I did the same thing (not turd-smoking, but smoking a mushy king). It was blush and a little mushy; froze it last summer after I caught it, unfroze it this spring and it was more mushy. I smoked it and it tastes good. Enough salt, brown sugar and Johnny's seasoning can fix anything.

I caught a bunch of silvers out of Valdez last summer, and a percentage of them were mushy (though not really even blushed). The first batch I smoked, I used the mushier stuff up in salmon dip. The next batch, I cut the pieces thinner, used a little more salt, and smoked them a couple hours longer - came out much firmer and quite edible. I hate to waste salmon.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Another use:

Fish that tend to be less firm make great stock for fish chowders. The flavor is what you need in such an entre'. Also, if you boil up the meat and de-bone it, you can make some dandy fish patties or fish loaf. Check out the pantry forum for some recipes probably.

Talking Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    If you put a turd in the smoker, all you get out of it is a smoked turd.
    Wow, not original, but what a laugh you gave me...thx..

too true....

Mushy before the smoker - is still mushy after....just devoid of some moisture

it aint the water in the flesh that is the problem....its the flesh