Thread: Grizzly Bear thoughts

Default Grizzly Bear thoughts

What are everyone's thoughts on timing of a good Grizzly coat. The area I am hunting, and have taken a Grizzly from before in June a few years ago-hide didn't take, didn't plan on taking a grizz was kinda me or the grizz kinda thing..but it was legal and in the season. We'll this area I know and know where the bears are at. A taxidermist I talked to told me the best time is early spring April or fall October. With this being a late spring and kinda early fall. There is already termination dust on top of the mountains in this area...some late summer plants have already stopped producing berries etc. and some fall plants are already out. WIth temps getting cold in the evenings at or even close to 32 degrees F I was thinking of getting one before OCT....maybe even late August..early or mid September...What are people/experienced grizzly hunters thoughts...of course I will only take one if I see a good hide...but I would hate to start early if it isn't neccesary. Also the area I hunt is a good natural food source for them..So I wanted to get them before moose season...because once moose season starts their diet will change to guts and yes I can wait by a pile..but the area is very very busy with hunters and I would prefer avoiding that..and there is a cow hunt as well that runs into Nov
    Thoughts/advice
    Thanks in advance

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Grissly bear thoughts???

Heres a thought to ponder.. WHY do they like to EAT MY GAS JUGS that are all full.... *(*&^%$#%%^ bears ate 25 gallons of it this last week. including the Drums......not to mention tore up the mining camp.

I guess that one knows i filled my tag last june... and he is safe for the season... but i wont forget he ate my gas, drank,. my beer and spilled my coffee so i spent a week with none..... IT is BAITING???? if you leave gas jugs laying around????????just a thought for next spring....

Vince - If it's a one bear every year area and you took one in June, you're legal to shoot another one now. The regulatory year is from July-June, so as of July 1st it was a new regulatory year. Shooting one in the spring and another in the fall is perfectly legal, but then you won't be able to take another next spring.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

really???????? so i can leagally buy 2..... 2008 tags i will have to find out..... thanks i hope you are right. i have six more bears out there to thin..... hmmmmmmmmm

so Brian is RIGHT..... so what time of year was the orginal queston is best to shoot one and have his hide good .. i like spring but what time of year can we hang gas jugs around ( or can we?) maybe it would be cheaper in the long run to leave little zip locks out there with a rag in it? he can huff it when i am not around and be to high to notice when i show back up??????

next question how do you cook a gas soaked bear? wine choice i guess would have to be a low octane of course.....

Default One per year

The area where I hunt mine is one per year..season is Aug 10-June 30...so if I shot one this June...then that was last years regulatory year and I can now legally hunt one again In August of this year (the next ADFG regulatory year). Also where I hunt tags are not required just a hunting license (predator control areas)....so check the area you hunt in..you may not need bear tags...saves some $$

Default Bears

Vince,
    I know a buddy who had his inflatable punctured by a bear....hmmm...seems they do things just to piss us off or maybe hunting us...maybe the bear figured if you didn't have any gas you would be stranded and easy pickins....and if they kill your boat so you can't get out..same thing...I know the grizz I killed a couple of years ago...I was really close to her and killed her with a buffalo bore round from a lever action 45/70. I could see/look into her eyes...she looked right into mine and I could tell there was something behind those eyes as if it was thinking/contemplating....definately made me feel like the tables were turned...lucky I could chamber a round faster and shoot faster....but it made every hair on my body stand up...still does thinking about it....eeery feeling....something I will never forget.

POlaris, I know that look, your talking about. and one thing i WILL NEVER underestamate is the inteligence behind the eyes of a Grizz... I have a young Bore i named JR... he takes one of my bait stands every year. but he ALWAYS checks my camp first to make sure i am not home... then he goes back to gorge. if i am there his track fade off the other way and he comes back a week later... every year for the 3rd year this one.. i guess is is now about 5 and a nice blonde soon he will be worth tracking after...i have photos but have never met him yet... and you know the funny thing is on camera he always sniffes my drums where i grasp the lid. if i am not the one touching it he wont eat. I was reading an old thread last week about baiting... heck i take a leak right in front of the barrel. have smoked i leave my clothes behind after wearing them. all my bears KNOW me... and walk in knowing i was there. the kids each got a blackie this year.. they both looked up at me before they ate. Grizz, Blackie they all know we are there,,,, andthey are just waiting for the mistake we will make. the know if they act nice they will get more. heck the grizz dont even tear up the stand any more cause i dont fill it for 2 weeks when he does... and the blackies wait for him to wander off on his adventures before wandering in.. he will hang 3-4 days leave for 14-18 days and come back.. funny critters they are... I love to hunt them but DANG 25 gallons of GAS??? now he is costing me... couse if i use flaming arrows i wont have as much a job skinning him