Thread: Crescent Lake Grayling

Default Crescent Lake Grayling

Two years ago, I hiked into Crescent Lake via the Carter Lake trail. Although I didn't know much about the fishing there, I found it to be one of the most enjoyable and visually stunning experiences I've ever had.

Not knowing much about the lake, I didn't have a float tube, but I did wear waders. Since it was raining, the grayling were down, and I finally caught six on a sinking wooly booger on a 5 wt. rod before having to hike back. (Oooh, and what a strenuous hike!)

These grayling were HUGE, around 16-17 inches. Real trophies that were worth the hike.

If anybody has fished there, please share your experience and any tips you can give for fishing Crescent Lake.

I've fished it but from the kenail side not the seward side. Most of the fish in Crescent creek I found rather small. Most were under 10''s. Biggest I caught was only 14"s but I bet I caught over 200 fish between 8 and 14''s. Great time and I look forward to doing it again.

Did you happen to catch any rainbows? I wondered if there were any in Crescent or in the creek.

None of the grayling I caught were less than 15". I'd read that the fish in the lake were some of the best on the K.P. I can't wait to bring a 3 wt back, and hopefully the weather will cooperate to where I can catch them on dries.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagman View Post
    Did you happen to catch any rainbows? I wondered if there were any in Crescent or in the creek.

None of the grayling I caught were less than 15". I'd read that the fish in the lake were some of the best on the K.P. I can't wait to bring a 3 wt back, and hopefully the weather will cooperate to where I can catch them on dries.
    I'd like to try the other side of the lake sometime. I just fished Crescent Creek and the mouth. Tossed out for a bit in the lake but couldn't get anything to bite, everything was in the creek and rather small. No rainbows at all. I'm not sure there are any in there.