Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Species locations

Default Species locations

Hi all, sorry to trouble you with this but as you may know, I'm not exactly local but I'm very interested in coming over to hunt this year. Trouble is that I'm struggling to find out what's available where?

Just wondered if there is a website where I can research species availability and location?

If you know of somewhere I'll be glad of a link to it - many thanks!

Roo

Default Just my thoughts

Google up "Alaska Fish and Wildlife", it will get you to the regs, there is like 14 different types of animals to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    Google up "Alaska Fish and Wildlife", it will get you to the regs, there is like 14 different types of animals to hunt.
    Many thanks, that's much appreciated, cheers!

If I remember an earlier post, you live in England. If so, you need a guide to hunt any big game in Alaska. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...TOKEN=82688998

Good luck in your search, I hope you get over here.

Bill, thanks, what a brilliant site - much appreciated!

Roo,

I can hook you up with a great snipe guide for really cheap or just share some tips (guides are not required for non-res on snipe). Snipe are a great game to fill-up some empty evenings between other hunts, or just to have for dinner. Best part is, when hunted correctly, you make zero noise bagging them (no shots to scare off other game and no need to bring a shotgun). They are a non-native species, so no bag limits either. Anyway have a great time and even if you don't do a seperate snipe hunt, ask your guide to hook you up. Most will without any extra charge. They love to have clients fill in down time this way.

Cheers

Are ya sure there's no bag limits?
    Yeah, they sure are plentiful, bout any time of the year.
    Hard to catch tho...

I am pretty sure there are no bag limits. I believe that is correct under the non-native animal cause (sorry I am not looking at the reg right now, Mark can you post them for us?). As far as hard to get, I think it is like most worth while pursuits, you put your time in and hone your technique. That was why I mentioned the guide, since Roo might not have hunted these critters before.

Yeah, you're right, a guide would be helpful.
    I checked the regs...and there is no limit.

Although I believe the Snipe thing was meant to be a joke I would clarify that there are Snipe in Alaska and they are considered waterfowl. If you look in the waterfowl regulations under "Common Snipe" you will find you are allowed 8 per day and 16 in possession.

Wow, that really blows the whole joke. You could have kept that under the hat, atleast for a little while. Roo didn't even get a chance to play. Now that's not cricket!

lol, actually I've not even seen a snipe!

We get them in the UK apparently but not near anywhere I've been!

I did find a few sites with loads of information on them - I honestly didn't appreciate the diversity of your species guys - incredible - no point me thinking about moving over either, I'd never get any work done!

Thanks again!

Hi all, a while back I posted questions out on numerous forums asking if there was a central website which had details on huntable species and their locations, but found that there really wasn't such a thing to be had....

So, as I had some spare time and an interest, I decided to see what I could do about that - I wonder if you guys would be interested in taking a look at www.SafariSearchEngine.com - it's not finished by any means yet and when I add the links section, this forum will certainly be listed as it is already from my other hunting and outfitter sites.

I know it could be cosmetically prettier, but please take a look at the species and location searches and let me know what you think?

Cheers folks,

Roo

I see a dangerous mistake on the site. Rabbits are listed as non-dangerous, when they have huge teeth and require holy hand grenades to harvest. At least for English knigits types.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    I see a dangerous mistake on the site. Rabbits are listed as non-dangerous, when they have huge teeth and require holy hand grenades to harvest. At least for English knigits types.
    :-)

I knew I was going wrong somewhere - maybe I should trade in my DPM for some chain-mail and a horse! (I'm fine with that so long as I get to keep my bullet-powered-bunny-basher rather than a lance or one of those clubs with a ball and chain in the end!)

Little secret for you the - I'm actually known as 'Sir Rupert' in Namibia - it's not a real title, but more there way of taking the P*** out of a limey a long way from home!

Cheers matey!

Roo
    The Hunting Agency

Hey Roo, If you get a chance to hunt with Ramblin Raven, pass, seems he would be like an old Col. W/O his afternoon gin & tonic, just kidding RR

Default Neat rifle

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuntingAgency View Post
    :-)

I knew I was going wrong somewhere - maybe I should trade in my DPM for some chain-mail and a horse! (I'm fine with that so long as I get to keep my bullet-powered-bunny-basher rather than a lance or one of those clubs with a ball and chain in the end!)

Little secret for you the - I'm actually known as 'Sir Rupert' in Namibia - it's not a real title, but more there way of taking the P*** out of a limey a long way from home!

Cheers matey!

Roo
    The Hunting Agency
    Bunnies must be really subversive/hardcore, if you have to have a supressed rifle to hunt them.
    Cheers Ron
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuntingAgency View Post
    Hi all, a while back I posted questions out on numerous forums asking if there was a central website which had details on huntable species and their locations, but found that there really wasn't such a thing to be had....

So, as I had some spare time and an interest, I decided to see what I could do about that - I wonder if you guys would be interested in taking a look at www.SafariSearchEngine.com - it's not finished by any means yet and when I add the links section, this forum will certainly be listed as it is already from my other hunting and outfitter sites.

I know it could be cosmetically prettier, but please take a look at the species and location searches and let me know what you think?

Cheers folks,

Roo
    good job on the site there roo.. the tourist should love it.

need to spend a little time going over the game book here to make sure you have the correct species.. such as the bison.. we do not, to my knowledge have any wood bison for hunting they are all the smaller plains bison. we have much more then duck and goose for wing shooting..

the Kodiak is a brown bear. and a brown bear is a grizzley... ( i never did see a reason to distinguish between where they lived they are all the same species...

and not all the game species live in all of the state...

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey Roo, I had the oppurtunity to hunt roe deer and pheasants over in England a few years ago, well, longer than a few. They were great trips. Let me know if there's any other information we can help with.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Hey Roo, If you get a chance to hunt with Ramblin Raven, pass, seems he would be like an old Col. W/O his afternoon gin & tonic, just kidding RR
    Not quite sue what that means but I am never without my afternoon Gin and Tonic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast