Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian river bear incident (guy hunting)

Default Russian river bear incident (guy hunting)

Ive been reading alota reports about someone pullin a gun on a black bear and killing it near crowds at the Russian. It seems like he was hunting and skinned it on site leaving the carcass?

Does anyone know if this is legal? , I mean obviously it's not safe with everyone around.. and the carcass will most likely draw more bears ...

-Nick

There was a post about this the other day. As it turns out you can hunt black bear but need to be atleast 150 yds away from the river. (too close in my opinion). According to reports he was not that far away and actually killed the bear at the cottonwood hole on the gravel bar. Leaving the gut pile for the ADFG guys to remove. So no this was not legal and down right ignorant endangering many peoples lives.
    String him up!!!!

Default Not entirely correct!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    There was a post about this the other day. As it turns out you can hunt black bear but need to be atleast 150 yds away from the river. (too close in my opinion). According to reports he was not that far away and actually killed the bear at the cottonwood hole on the gravel bar. Leaving the gut pile for the ADFG guys to remove. So no this was not legal and down right ignorant endangering many peoples lives.
    String him up!!!!
    While I don't disagree that there could be some ethical issues here, and this would not be my choice for prime hunting area, if the initial shot was greater than 150 yards from the river and the hide and skull were salvaged, there was nothing illegal.

If he shot it within the corridor, which direction did he shoot? Was he considerate of bullet trajectory? If he was within the corridor, yes, give him a citation. But "String him up!!!!"??? What about the person whose bead is 2.1" from the hook? Or the hook gap at 7/16", or the person driving 56 miles per hour? "String them up!!!!"???

Do you know that ADF&G had to remove the gut pile (or carcass)? How is that rotting flesh any different than the rotting fish flesh along the river banks? What about a winter killed moose carcass? While unsightly, yes, biologically, not much difference. This will feed the birds, the trout, the salmon fry, the bugs and other scavangers.

Page 51 of the Hunting Supplement:
    "Russian River Closed Area: consists of the area within 150 yards, and including the river, from tehoutlet of Lower Russian Lake downstream to the Russian River/Kenai River confluence is closed to hunting during June and July (emphasis mine)."
    Page 26 of the Hunting Supplement regarding what must be salvaged from a bear:
    "From Jan 1 - May 31, in Units 1-7, 11-17, and 20 the hide, skull, and meat must be salvaged and removed from the field; from June 1 - Dec 31, the hide and skull must be salvaged and removed from the field."

Default No stringing up...

String him up!!!!

Banish him to Canada! (just teasin' Drifter)

I think it's insane that there is only a 150 yard buffer zone in an area that gets so much human traffic.
    We have a 1.5 kilometer buffer zone on each side of the highway which I think is a little excessive but it is safe.
    I would think a buffer zone of 500 to 100 yards would be appropriate in that heavy traffic area.
    If this person did indeed take his shot inside the buffer zone do you think he was concerned with his shot direction?????

There is no 150 yd buffer in august. Only June and July.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Default No legal issues

I think it's insane that there is only a 150 yard buffer zone in an area that gets so much human traffic.
    We have a 1.5 kilometer buffer zone on each side of the highway which I think is a little excessive but it is safe.
    I would think a buffer zone of 500 to 100 yards would be appropriate in that heavy traffic area.
    If this person did indeed take his shot inside the buffer zone do you think he was concerned with his shot direction?????
    I don't know, I wasn't there.

You are certainly welcome to propose your suggestion to the Alaska Game Board for consideration. But presently, the person did not appear to break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by adfraiser View Post
    There is no 150 yd buffer in august. Only June and July.
    I agree... thanks for the clarification.

No legal issue here... again, not my choice of prime hunting grounds, but no legal infraction, so we'll hold on the gallows today.

The hunting is legal but you may not leave viscera on trails. It must be out of sight.

It sounds to me like there are definately trails there at the russian.

--

String up those against lawful hunting or just send them back to Canada.

Thumbs down

It doesn't sound safe shoot a bear that close to the river with fisherman around. Not to mention the gut pile left on a popular fishing hole. Check out post 8 on the Hunting forum

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=36639

Reckless endangerment... Covers quite a bit of ground.

If you are shooting anywhere near the Cottonwood hole while there are ANY salmon in the river, you are endangering peoples lives. IMO

It would be reckless if he sprayed bullets everywhere.

How close was the closest bystander?

I am guessing a little ways from the bear.

Maybe the guy got to the hole early before anyone but the bear was there. That would make the scenario clear of all bystanders.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default bear shooting

Hey, at least this guy was hunting and shot the bear. What about the yahoos carrying guns to protect themselves from bears and the bears that get shot that way. They shoot in this corridor without understanding the situation behind the animal in the line of fire. Sure, hunting you have some time to think and the person may not have made the smartest decision but it was within the law. Maybe they studied the scebne and knew the situation in the line of fire, I wasn't there and it sound like the oother posting were'nt ther either. Propose to get the law changed if this behabvior bothers you.

Question What if

the person went there to fish and shot the bear for thier own protection, then because it was a legal kill kept the hide and skull? I have done similar while deer hunting on the islands in PWS. What's so wrong with taking advantage of an opportunity that presents itself? Sounds to me like the only thing this person is guilty of is they didn't stop - chop - and throw.

"Personal protection" Yea right.... I like many others enjoy fishing and seeing the wildlife. Some of us may not be into seeing a bear get blasted, and then butchered on the gravel bar. So I can understand why some of the people present were angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    the person went there to fish and shot the bear for thier own protection, then because it was a legal kill kept the hide and skull? I have done similar while deer hunting on the islands in PWS. What's so wrong with taking advantage of an opportunity that presents itself? Sounds to me like the only thing this person is guilty of is they didn't stop - chop - and throw.

Default a few less

Bears on the river there would be good. IMO they should open it for the brownies also. If the enviro lefties don't like it - well then they can close their eyes or leave (NO, I am not calling steelie an enviro leftie).

If this guy was legal then I am all for it. Maybe not the most sporting and challenging "hunt" - but if he cut his tag and salvaged what is required - good for him. If some more of the bears in that area get shot - they won't be so inclined to get so close to humans.

OTOH - I would surely hope that a person with a license would make sure of his target and beyond.

I could care less about the guy killing the bear, it just seems like a stupid thing to do at such a high destiny place people wise. An injured bear would not have been a good site for the russian

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    It would be reckless if he sprayed bullets everywhere.

How close was the closest bystander?

I am guessing a little ways from the bear.

Maybe the guy got to the hole early before anyone but the bear was there. That would make the scenario clear of all bystanders.
    You can be cited for reckless endangerment from leaving a ladder leaning against a house so a kid could try to climb and get hurt (Please don't ask me how I know this).
    You don't have to "spray" bullets to put someone in danger or be considered reckless. Not to be an ***** (even though I sometimes come off that way), during salmon season this is a heavily populated area with thick growth that keeps you from seeing much more then 10 feet into the woods from the trails or gravel bars. How do you know there's not someone just out of sight answering the "call of nature"? You don't. It has already been documented that there were plenty of people around to see the actual shooting so there were evidently bystanders. I agree that it MAY have been a legal kill but come on, there is still such a thing as right and wrong (not to mention "fair chase") and I think this was just very poor judgment and not the right thing to do considering the circumstances.

I shot a black bear in Valdez last year. There is a time and place for everything. Is the Russian going to turn into a cast & blast area? Probably not a good way to promote hunting with all the greenies that hike and camp in the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Bears on the river there would be good. IMO they should open it for the brownies also. If the enviro lefties don't like it - well then they can close their eyes or leave (NO, I am not calling steelie an enviro leftie).

If this guy was legal then I am all for it. Maybe not the most sporting and challenging "hunt" - but if he cut his tag and salvaged what is required - good for him. If some more of the bears in that area get shot - they won't be so inclined to get so close to humans.

OTOH - I would surely hope that a person with a license would make sure of his target and beyond.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 08-14-2008 at 15:08. Reason: spelling

Default I guess

that I always come across harsh in my "concerns" for what anti-hunters think. I am of the opinion that bambi lover is always going to love bambi. On a few occasions I have had rational conversations with anti-hunters that were able to see my side of things from a hunters perspective. On those rare occasions - their response has always been - well, you use a bow and arrow so I guess that is better than murdering them with a rifle.

The way I see it is that hunters need to stick up for our hunting traditions and not let those who feel otherwise push us out of our sport.

You see that there canine tooth in your mouth? Well - that is made for eating meat. We have evolved into a society where the once minority that would have perished by starvation. (yes, I do understand that the meat from this bear was not salvaged).

Default Legal vs. ethical

There is a difference between legal and ethical. As hunters, we should all present ourselves as ethical, especially when in the prescence of antis. These actions, although legal as I now understand it, weren't very ethical in my opinion, and to commit such an act in the prescense of the people that frequent the Russian river presents a negative picture of hunters and gives the antis more ammunition to sway the opinions of those that have not yet formed an opinion of hunting. This act could have and probably did impact some young person's opinion of hunting and those that participate in hunting activities. Bottom line, in my opinion, is this type of hunting sets us pro-hunting outdoors men back a step because it is the exact red-neck personna that the antis try to make everyone else believe that we are.

just my opinion
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast