Thread: 338 Wm

Default 338 Wm

Is there anyone here that would be willing to work up a load for me. I would really like to get into reloading but my wife and I are foster parents for FSCA and gun not have guns in the house (kept themin storage). I am shooting a Howa 338 WM and at $70 a box it is getting expensive fast. I have brass and can get more and I am willing to get all the needed supplies plus pay for labor. Been shooting the 225grain barnes triple shock bullet from federal and I like it. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Husker, foster parents are exceptional gifts to a child-good for you! I would be more than happy to help out but.....I live in Venetie, some 180 miles kind of North from you and don't get to the "hub" but maybe 3 times a yr. I've 2 .338 win mags and a couple of .338-06's and they shoot just nicely. I have not bought any factory fodder for many yrs and now tailor make or "roll" my own - it is not cheaper I think if you reload with your own equipment but if you can locate someone in town and am sure you can it is. There is one here in our forum that resides in North Pole and I believe he reloads and seems like quite the gentleman, perhaps he may help. He might or surely one in the area of Fbks or North Pole will chime in.

Keep up the good work!

regards,

Tim,

I can load for your 338, one of my favorites. I don't have 225 TSX's on the bench and they are about $45 a box of fifty. If you want new brass it is about $30 for fifty. I would have powder and primers. If you want load development for your particular rifle I can do that, too, that's really what I do. I would need your rifle and you could supply the components or I can order them in. If you want to use your once fired brass that would be ok but honestly Federal brass is not something I would normally use. It does not reload well. (I know folks will be coming out to disagree with that comment but I load thousands of 338 each year) I would buy new Winchester. You could stop at your favorite supplier and get bullets and brass and if you want come over for the whole proceedure. It would be more economical to load the full fifty but with some firing for testing along the way taking two or three evenings. Load some, shoot some, and generally you will end up with 1 1/2 to 2 boxes of loaded ammo that we know works well.

I hope you followed these ramblings. You have to understand I do this every day. Different caliber, different rifle, but someting every day through the summer and mostly my own stuff all winter long. I've been chronographing loads every evening since the rains stopped. Yesterday was 6.5x300 Weatherby, 375 Ruger, and 9.3x62 and some of my 44 special loads. Tonite there is more 6.5x300 to test, no I think someone is coming over to load 330 Dakota. The loading bench stays busy during the night and daylight is for shooting. It's a hobby!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Let me know...

If you don't take Murphy up on his offer... You can come over to my place and use my equipment. You provide the componants and I'll provide the lesson's/equiment. The price would be Free!

Jake

Thats cool.Im sort of in the same boat.trying to re-learn this reloading and Id like to have more for my .338wm as well,but I dont mess witht he wm relaoding yet.I have to take baby steps.

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help and offers guys I appreciate it. I have contacted Murphy and also CZ.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    Is there anyone here that would be willing to work up a load for me. I would really like to get into reloading but my wife and I are foster parents for FSCA and gun not have guns in the house (kept themin storage). I am shooting a Howa 338 WM and at $70 a box it is getting expensive fast. I have brass and can get more and I am willing to get all the needed supplies plus pay for labor. Been shooting the 225grain barnes triple shock bullet from federal and I like it. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    $70.00 per box is too expensive. A box of Federal 225-Grain TSX costs around $44.00 at "Sportsman" in Fairbanks. It's perhaps my favorite Federal ammo, and loaded to produce 2,800 fps at the muzzle.

Ray,
    Do you know someone in the store b/c that is where I bought them. They were 69.99 a box last week and 62.99 this week. I would gladly pay $44 it would seem like I won the lottery.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    Ray,
    Do you know someone in the store b/c that is where I bought them. They were 69.99 a box last week and 62.99 this week. I would gladly pay $44 it would seem like I won the lottery.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Maybe I am wrong? I bought a couple of boxes for around $44.00 each last year. I was there this week, and noticed that the ammo on display is not that plentiful. To tell you the truth, I didn't try to read the price of the .338 ammo (didn't have my reading glasses with me However, I did look at a set of Peltor Tactical 6S, and the price was quite high ($89.00) compared to Cabelas, so I ordered it from this store instead and still saved some cash. Now, a box of 50 ea. 225-grain TSX bullets costs around $44.00, at least the ones I saw there.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Maybe I am wrong? I bought a couple of boxes for around $44.00 each last year. I was there this week, and noticed that the ammo on display is not that plentiful. To tell you the truth, I didn't try to read the price of the .338 ammo (didn't have my reading glasses with me However, I did look at a set of Peltor Tactical 6S, and the price was quite high ($89.00) compared to Cabelas, so I ordered it from this store instead and still saved some cash. Now, a box of 50 ea. 225-grain TSX bullets costs around $44.00, at least the ones I saw there.
    I just called Sportsman's Warehouse (Saturday), and was told that the price is $62.99 for a box of 225-grain TSX ammo!

Husker,

I did the same thing you are doing this spring. I headed over to Sportsmans for a box of Barnes for my .338, saw the price of $62 a box and walked right back out the door. Called a hunting partner that handloads, he told me what components to buy and we started working up loads.

Using my old brass I believe we can handload Barnes TSX for about $1.20 or so a round. Compared to $3.10 per round off the shelf.

Definately won't be buying factory ammo again any time soon. Going to pick up some dies for my 270wsm build an Accubond load next.

From what i've read here anybody in the Fairbanks area who wouldn't take up the offer to sit in with Murphy and learn a few tips on loading is a fool. He's probably forgot more than I've ever learned and I've loaded off/on for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    From what i've read here anybody in the Fairbanks area who wouldn't take up the offer to sit in with Murphy and learn a few tips on loading is a fool. He's probably forgot more than I've ever learned and I've loaded off/on for 30 years.
    Thanks for the kind words, Eric, but truth is I'm still learning, too. And as for the forgettin' part....oh yeah!

I load almost every day and do a lot of custom ammo and wildcat development but also get to load several boxes of what has become pretty much standard Alaska calibers such as the 338's, 300's, 375 and of course the old standy 30-06. I did some 330 Dakota's with a fellow the other night and we went out to dial in and chronograph some of them today. Also shot a few of our hand made 480 Ruger rounds through the chrony. Lots of fun and I'm busy this summer, rain cuts down on the chronograph time. Anyone is welcome, just drop me a line.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default need 338 win mag data

Hey guys. Can anyone out there give me some good load data for 338 win mag using Swift 210 gr Siraccos? I picked up a full box of 100 for $25 at a gun show last winter and want to work up a fast flat shooting Elk load for Arizona hunt. I normally load 225gr Hornady SST and Interbonds over R19 and Barnes 250gr TSX over same powder. I have Speer, Hornady, Accurate and Hodgden manuals and don't want to spend the $40 for a Swift manual to work up just one load. Unable to locate any data on the internet.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Hey guys. Can anyone out there give me some good load data for 338 win mag using Swift 210 gr Siraccos? I picked up a full box of 100 for $25 at a gun show last winter and want to work up a fast flat shooting Elk load for Arizona hunt. I normally load 225gr Hornady SST and Interbonds over R19 and Barnes 250gr TSX over same powder. I have Speer, Hornady, Accurate and Hodgden manuals and don't want to spend the $40 for a Swift manual to work up just one load. Unable to locate any data on the internet.

Thanks,
    If you can't find the data you are seeking, write an e-mail to Alliant Powders asking them for some loading data. I have done such thing in the past, and gotten the data. Very nice people at Alliant, I must say. What they do is to give you the Swift data for the specific bullet and the Alliant powder you are using.

Default 338 load data

That is a good idea. I have had great results with Alliant powders, especially R19 in my 338b.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post

Thanks,
    Try 74.0 grains of RL-19 with the 210 grain sciroccos. This is about 2920 fps and about as flat as the 338 WM gets.

Default 338

Thank you sir. Will reduce slightly and work up to it. Your expertise is appreciated.

Kevin

Hey Murphy what powder are you using with 250gr Swift A-Frames?