Thread: Halibut on eggs?

Default Halibut on eggs?

Anyone tried using cured salmon eggs on halibut? Seems like since they'll bite herring, jigs, salmon bellies/heads, they would be interested in eggs. I've got some in the freezer since last year, maybe I'll try it next summer.
    One think I just thought of though; might be hard to get them to stay on the hook; maybe a bait loop? Or just dry/cure them so they're kinda tough.
    I guess you could drift with them instead of anchoring so they don't take a beating in the current. Hmmmm........
    Jim

Stick them in netting.

I dont expect they will last long no matter what but it may be worth it anyways.

I was on a trip in Homer where i was able to get a bucket load of eggs to try.

I just threw a whole skien of eggs around my piece of herring and the halibut loved it. I would get a bite and if I missed it the fish would just keep nailing the bait until they got hooked. I never had to let the bait back down. I know I had reeled in as much as 30' of line and they still would hit it. There was eight of us on the boat and we were catching fish pretty good but my pole had a dfinately higher rate of bites. If my bait was in the water it was hit.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I think halibut will eat just about any animal product you can name. The Dutch Harbor guide I used last summer told me his friend regularly catches giants on big gobs of bacon.

When they're on the feed, halibut are as dumb as a fish gets. I mean how many other fish will hit a 10oz jigging spoon TWICE within five seconds?

Stick them in stockings and make monster Roe Bags!!!!

Cure those extra eggs up and add a bunch of commercial scents, and it should be like candy to those Halibut. I am going to try it next week. Panty hose will be a good way to wrap up the eggs before tying on the hook.

I heard about somebody catching a halibut with just a red rag tied near his hook. If this is true, I would think eggs would be a bonus.

I have often wondered about this as well. Same for silvers to in the salt? Let us know the results.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I"ve tried salmon eggs, too. In my experience, they worked 'too' good!

As others have suggested here, I made big spawn bags out of netting, then zip-tied the spawn bag to my hooks.

The biggest problem I had was that I attracted far more than halibut to my bait - every sculpin, cod, pollock, flounder, and rockfish in the area was drawn in, too. I'd lower the rig and immediately get bit every time; the small non-target fish would tear apart the bait, and I spent a lot of time re-baiting. Yes, I eventually caught a decent halibut, but I was frustrated enough that I haven't done it since.

But the whole experiment intrigued me. It's obvious salmon eggs make for a superior bait, but how do I use them without having to deal with hoards of non-target (I won't call them "trash") fish?

By the way, salmon eggs make for a killer crab bait, too. I put some in a bait jar, and another skein in a net bag. When a crab in the pot pokes and tears at the bagged eggs, the eggs begin to "milk", sending out an excellent scent stream. Maybe eggs for halibut are more appropriately used as chum instead of bait?

Default anything, almost

If the bites on a halibut would eat your big toe if it could. I have used herring, sardines, pork rind, salmon and other fish parts, squid, octopus and bare jigs.

Default Hey D....

you mentioned using eggs for saltwate silvers; how about throwing them out on a bobber? Maybe they'd hold together okay as you're not mooching or trolling with them, just drifting.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    you mentioned using eggs for saltwate silvers; how about throwing them out on a bobber? Maybe they'd hold together okay as you're not mooching or trolling with them, just drifting.
    Jim
    Yes, bringing memories of Caswell Creek. I love Silver bobber fishing. As long as they are as attracted to them as I would like to think they would be I think a bobber would be a hoot, unless they are deep, then just drop and wait. I think I will have to give it a try one of these days! Let me know if you beat me to the punch.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I tried it for the first time last year and i got a good sized fish on it. I would guess i had a 1lb blob of roe on the hook. I later found it in a halibut belly at the cleaning tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Jim
    I works great in the estuaries where the silvers are staging. I ahve done this many times out in the Sound. It is a great way to get kids into salmon. I love watching that bobber dance!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.