Thread: Which .22 handgun under $270.00

Default Which .22 handgun under $270.00

I will be buying a .22 handgun here in the near future.

I will be looking for several things when i buy one

Ability to cycle a wide variety of ammo
    Accurate to within 1" at 25 yards ( or somewhere close )
    Preferably an auto loader.

I have been loking at the beretta neos
    and maybee a browning buckmark

anybody have any feeback i would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Frank

I have a Ruger 22 auto that does very well but did have a gun smith do a trigger job on it. Cheap, reliable and mine is more accurate than I can hold it. J.

I just bought a Mark III .22/45. So far so good.

Brent

Default Ruger MKii or MKi

Ruger 'standard' mark 1 or 2 with fixed sights could be found used for not much more than $200. Great value for the money.

Buckmarks are nice as well - the 3" or 4" versions are all over town. I have owned and shot both and slightly prefer the ruger, but honestly its just a subjective difference.

Good luck.

Nate

I have a S&W M22A and will not recommend it. I couldn't even sell it in good faith because it jams so much. I will be sending it back to them for repair pretty soon but it fails to extract 80% of the time and will not feed when the temp drops. The feeding problem is due to the clip contracting in the cold and will never be fixed but hopefully the extracting problem can be fixed. I purchased it for carrying on my sled to use on ptarmigan but honestly the only way I could kill one with it is with a lucky throw... If I had it to do over I would get a Ruger

I have only heard bad things about the 22a. Thank you for the heads up! I have been doing a lot of research and will probably get a Beretta Neos and a little later the carbine kit for it.

since you hate the 22A so bad how about a good deal on it. Alex

Well talking to the guys at several sports shops around here. I will not be buying a neos. i will either get a mk111 or a buckmark of some sort

Well I am pretty set with the buckmark now. I just have to figure out which model i want

Talking 22 auto

I have the S_W 22 semi auto pistol and it came in a kit with 2 stainless clips and a case. Its always been reliable with proper cleaning and good ammo even in below freezing temps.. Its easy to take apart and comes with a weaver style scope base built into the barrel thats works great with a red dot scope. With the simmons red dot I had on it would shoot 1" at 25 yards easily. That was a chunky 5 moa red dot. I ended up taking the scope off and giving to my mom for personal defense.

I have a Smith & Wesson .22A-1 that has a 5-1/2" barrel, and a gray-color trigger guard. It's very accurate, and I haven't had a single jamb with any .22LR ammo I have shot. It comes on a case that includes 2 magazines. I mounted a Tru-Glo 30mm Red Dot sight on it, and use this pistol for hunting grouse on an ATV trail.

My son has another one like it, except that his has a shorter barrel than mine. Like mine, he hasn't had any problems with it, and is very accurate.

I also have a Walther .22LR pistol that is extremely accurate, and comes with a threaded barrel's muzzle for installing a silencer, or a compensator. This pistol fails to extract the first shell from the chamber once fired. It only happens with the first shot every time, so I have to cock it to extract the fired shell and reload the chamber, but just one time. I haven't been able to figure why it's doing that. Maybe a cold chamber grips the round a little too tight? I will try polishing the chamber just a little to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    I have the S_W 22 semi auto pistol and it came in a kit with 2 stainless clips and a case. Its always been reliable with proper cleaning and good ammo even in below freezing temps.. Its easy to take apart and comes with a weaver style scope base built into the barrel thats works great with a red dot scope. With the simmons red dot I had on it would shoot 1" at 25 yards easily. That was a chunky 5 moa red dot. I ended up taking the scope off and giving to my mom for personal defense.
    I am going to call smith on mine when I get some time. It is a neat package and it takes down for cleaning really slick. I don't understand the little plastic tab that wears out, why would you design that into a pistol? For me the failure to feed and constant jamming despite deep cleaning is just unacceptable. The biggest thing is that the extractor fails to hook the rim of the case and has since new. This causes double feeds. If it goes back to smith and still won't shoot it will be on the board for a very reasonable price!