Thread: Handgun purchases: 5 day law??

Default Handgun purchases: 5 day law??

Could someone please shed some light on what I was told at a local gun shop today.

I was told you can only buy one handgun every five days in Alaska. The trouble for me is that I bought one today (spur of the moment thing) and I have another one coming in on order through a another shop that might be here on Thursday or Friday.

Do I have to wait 5 days? Does this include weekends?

Thanks for the help.

Never heard of such a thing!

There is a very simple explanation for what you heard........it was BS!

I bought one last Thursday and another Friday. The FBI was called each time and they let me exercise my 2nd amendment rights. Wasn't that nice of them. You not only can buy more than one a day you can buy 5 at one time and put all five of them on one 4473 form and get all five approved in one FBI call. I've done that also.

Now some states may add all kinds of BS restrictions on your purchase but it is not a function of the ATF or FBI to restrict those sales.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I would LOVE to know what shop told you that and the employees name.

Default You CAN buy as many handguns as you want...

BUT...multiple purchases from one FFL must be reported by the FFL holder to the BATFE. The form is filled out after you leave, and you won't even know that it's happened. A multiple purchase is reported if you buy more than one HANDGUN from that FFL in a ten day period. Nothing happens if you buy one revolver from a shop downtown, and another that afternoon from a shop in the suburbs. Nothing is reported if multiple handguns come back to you after you pawn them, you already own them.
    One copy of the three layer form stays in the store for their permanent records, one copy goes to local Chief Law Enforcement Officer and can do whatever they wish with it (MOST departments don't even want to accept the things!) and one copy must be sent or faxed within two business days to BATFE.......
    NOTHING, unless it's store policy (and if it is, you owe it to them and yourself to not argue with it, they're trying to stay in business, and that's how they cover their own butts), local or state law, prevents you from multiple handgun purchases. Nothing. Just gotta ask yourself who you want knowing it.
    Oh, and by the way, IF you buy from two different shops inside that ten day window, your name and social security number flag a multiple purchase when the NICS check is called in. Yeah, yeah, they DON'T keep records, I know......
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 08-13-2008 at 05:21. Reason: .

Thanks for the relplies.....I didn't think this was the case from multiple FFL dealers but I have been surprised before.

If anyone is curious about where it happened pm me. It was at an Anchorage shop.

Thanks again

Default BATF no-no

If the BATF has the information inside a ten day period regarding the purchase of more than one handgun, then they are functioning illegally. They are required to expunge background check information at the end of that business day, so if they don't, then they're up to their old tricks. it never ends.

Well, the other gun came in today so I will pick it up tonight. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get carted off to the big house........

Two guns in back to back days, and my wife is ok with it, I don't know if the stars are lined up or what but this is quite a roll. Kinda makes me nervous.....

Default no worries

My friend, you need to chill about this. It ain't no big thing. When I was still at GNG, there was a fellow who came into some money and started buying guns, sometimes 4 or 5 at a time, God's honest truth. He went through a LOT of money in a short time, but he was a great guy and loves good quality firearms. At any rate, the multiple forms were filled out as usual and he never had a problem, niether FBI nor ATF calling back. So, two guns in two days. No fear...

If a person purchase more than one handgun at a time, not within a five or ten day period, from an FFL dealer, it will be put on the 4473 form where all serial numbers are recorded. (up to three guns on one form) The dealer is then required to fill out an additional form (3310.4 I think) with that info on it. This form is kept with the 4473 and there may be a requirement ot send copy(s) elsewhere, I don't know. This has nothing to do with any number of guns in any number of days and it is for multiple handgun purchases from the same dealer at the same time or more specifically on one 4473 form. Anything other than this is ....BS!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Correct

Murphy is correct about this. You could buy any number of shotguns and rifles and one handgun and there would be no need for a multiple purchase form to be filled out. Two handguns and it has to be done if at the same dealer. You could go around town and buy any number of handguns and as long as you only buy one at each dealer, no problem. There is, however, the possibility that when you are called in on the background check a number of times on the same day that a red flag could go up, A scarce chance. One part of the form goes to local police, one stays with the 4473 and you have to, as a dealer, call in the multiple purchase on the same day purchase is made to the feds. You have the option of sending another part of the form to the feds, which we usually did, but the call in to the feds usually covers it. Boy, how I love private sales!

Default A little light reading for those interested...