Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whisker Biscuit VS Fall-Away rest

Default Whisker Biscuit VS Fall-Away rest

Hello folks.

I've been shooting a Whisker Biscuit rest for some time now and still am not completely sold on it. Though I like it better than the old prong style rest I used to shoot, it seems to make my arrows fly kind of screwy...maybe it's just my imagination. Anyhow, I've been playing with the idea of maybe checking out a fall-away style rest. Anybody here shoot one? Thoughts?

God bless.
    Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

I have been looking at getting into archery and in doing so shootin a bunch of bows and to see what I like. So far my favorite rest is the QAD Ultra-Rest Hunter. I don't have any field experiance with it but I like that it doesn't fal away untill I actually shoot where as many I have tried fall anytime you let off from full draw. I don't know if it has any problems in the field or with wear over time as I only used it indoors and it was brand new.

Default Drop Zone

I shoot the trophy ridge drop zone and love it never touches the arrow after you release so your arrow flys true every time been flawless for 4 years.

My vote for the QAD ultra rest. Ive tested it in the field and it works awesome. I like the fact that it stays locked up unlike a lot of the trophy ridge ones that only come back at fully draw.

I asked Scot at Bear Paw Archery (formerly Fletcher's) this same questions. The biggest complaint on the whisker bisket is that when it gets wet, should it freeze Your fletching will have to go through ice...NOT a good idea in Alaska IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I asked Scot at Bear Paw Archery (formerly Fletcher's) this same questions. The biggest complaint on the whisker bisket is that when it gets wet, should it freeze Your fletching will have to go through ice...NOT a good idea in Alaska IMHO.
    I've heard about the same issue regarding whisker biscuits - but only in theory. I haven't heard of anyone actually having the problem, and some folks have mentioned that because they are flexible whiskers, pushing your finger through them will take care of any issue that might come up. I don't have a WB -yet - but would like to get one just for the stalking ability to not have the arrow flopping around.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

The biggest complaint on the whisker bisket is that when it gets wet, should it freeze Your fletching will have to go through ice...NOT a good idea in Alaska IMHO.
    If it gets wet, everything else will be wet and frozen too. Your cables, your arrows, your cams, your limbs etc... all of which effect the arrow flight every bit as much as a frozen bisquit. Read about Tony Russ' story about how he drew a frozen bow on a sheep hunt and the cables came off the cams.

I once did a test. I soaked the rests on two of my bows, one with a Whisker Bisquit, the other with a drop-away and stuck them outside at -20F. I then went out and shot them both without touching a thing. The WB only missed at 20 yards by 3". The drop away failed to drop, it crunch it's way into the upward position..but that was it..and the miss was over 10".

I'm a big proponent of shooting what you are comfortable with. I happen to shoot a WB, but I'd never tell anyone to get rid of their drop-away to get one. I just hate the "freezing" up wive's tale.

Default Ah, one of the eternal questions

Have shot both and have bows with both. Whisker biscuit is a great hunting rest. Full capture & foolproof. However, I've actually gone to a ripcord dropaway on my my newest bow. Can't speak to the freezing but the Whisker Biscuit was hard on fletching (not a tuning issue) and the bristles also get frayed after awhile and had to be replaced. Both of these are problems only if you shoot alot. No problems with the ripcord in a couple years (knock on wood.)

Default Drop Away, no question!!!

Hunted with a drop away for years and would never change. Have a Shakey Hunter, swear by it. Tried a WB and didn't care for it. They can be nice if you are doing stalks, don't have to worry about the arrow falling off. A finger works just as good though. Great for treestands too since you don't have to worry about straight down shots.

WB are great for short shots, but longer shots I think they have their drawbacks. Drop aways, without their contact are better for longer shots.

I've hunted caribou up north in Feb. and March with the drop away and never had a single problem. Temps down to -25. At those temps it's never going to get wet and have a problem with freezing up anyways. Even if you are in freezing rain it's never going to freeze solid enough to not drop.

IMO drop away is the only way to go. I have shot TM's, whisker bisckits, Bodoodle's and will never go back. There are many quality brands of drop aways to choose from too.

Thumbs up Octane Hostage Pro

Check this arrow rest out, made by Bowtech. Holds like a WB but with a lot less contact. I shoot a WB but will replace it soon with this rest.

Another vote for trophy ridge dropzone... Have had good luck with no problems...YET

I have a WB on one of my bows, but my newest bow has a NAP Sizzor rest and it works great.

I've got a Ripcord drop-away rest and like its ability to be cocked in the upright position to hold your arrow -

Smile

I unstalled a NAP center rest the flipper/ berger button type, and bought a spare flipper just in case I broke one.

I have never had a reason to change it it works absolutly great and cost like $20. Its now 10 years old and going strong. It handles vains, and feathers witch I shoot with a set angle and helical.

I shoot arrows with a combined arrow weight of 500grs from a Hoyt Aspen set to 65lbs draw weight. This set up is good for 40 yards and is not the least be cridical for great arrow flight and acuracy. And goes completly through moose and bears. What more could I want from a arrow rest/bow/arrow?

Default Removed RipCord and went to WB in April

Quote Originally Posted by Landis View Post
    I've got a Ripcord drop-away rest and like its ability to be cocked in the upright position to hold your arrow -
    I pulled the RipCord off, and put a WB on. The RipCord, cord that cocked the rest, was chaffing where it went into the mechanism. I didn't not want any problem. From talking to the guys at SW, there small pieces in the mechanism that if you open it up to change the cord, would be impossible to put back together.

Also went to WB based upon other opinions in this thread, from March-May. Basically, eliminating the chance of a arrow falling from the rest, in the heat of battle.

Default Ripcord chafing

I just looked at my Ripcord to make sure I don't have the same chafing problem, and I don't. No fraying at all. There's an adjustment procedure on the ripcord site for where the "football" clamps to the cable. If the football is adjusted so the cord is pulling directly out of the hole instead of scraping against the side of the hole at an angle, it shouldn't chafe.

I'm leaning more and more toward getting a QAD Ultra-Rest Hunter. It has great reviews and seems to be one of the better designs for fall-away rests. Can anybody tell me..is there that much of a difference between this model and the other ones in that family that cost twice as much? I know one usually gets what they pay for....but coughing up close to a hundred bucks for a dad-gone rest is tough on the ol' wallet....I'm saving up for a DYI moose hunt after-all!

Fr. Joe
    HuntingForGod.com

Default Rip cord

I shoot a rip cord too and i havent had a single problem. I stayed away from the WB because i shoot right helical fletched arrows and everything i read said that WB are not good for that.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Wink

I threw out my bow and started throwing my arrows.. seems i am a better shot and no equipment to fail............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast