Thread: shrimping/Whittier

Default shrimping/Whittier

I am thinking about trying for some shrimp out of whittier...I have another guy who will be in a different boat that I can follow - so that should help with locations..

I am a non-res (just moved here in may) and am wondering whether the fishery is a personal use? I checked the regulations and did not find anything saying that I can't try for them....

Second question is who/where to get the gear? I am going in 1.5 weeks. Will probably only fork out the cash for 2 pots on 1 rope....(will be hand pulling using a rental boat).

Any help would be great!

randy

Not sure on the regs but you can get pots through Potbuilder (forum member)

It is my understanding that shrimping is a personal use fishery and only available to residents. It talks about this on pg 16 of the regs. Somebody else jump in here if I'm wrong but I think you're out of luck shrimping until next year.

Default will check

I will go look at page 16...thanks.

Yeah, what Hewey said.

Default regs

The regs don't pull up right now - I called the ADF&G and they said that I can shrimp. Personal use is for crabs and tanner crabs.

Game ON.

Default From what I

Read, the Whittier shrimping is OK, but the North Gulf Coast is a Personal" Use and for residence only
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I stand corrected you are good to go as long as you stay in PWS. Have fun and good luck shrimping.

Yeah, what Hewey said

You're supposed to mark your buoys with boat registration number, etc. Don't know how that works when you rent a boat. Good luck.

Default same thing

I was wondering the same thing. I am guessing - but it would allow the troopers to watch via glasses for a boat that didn't match the number to see if somebody is pulling others pots.

I plan to put a piece of duct tape on the buoy with the boat numbers on it. The rest will have my name etc. I will call the fish and game and ask if that is cool. I try to be informed and really don't want a ticket for stupid stuff - that would ruin the day for me.

I am only going to leave them sit for 3 or 4 hours so the tape should be fine.

What is the best bait?

Smile Potbuilder has bait to

Pot builder in Palmer has the best fishing pots, ropes, buoys, and the knowledge to get you started in the right direction. Great guy to talk to and has a vast amount of knowledge in this area. (Boy if that doesn't get me a discount on my next pot nothing will). But for real check out his products. Very good and priced right.

I've had the best luck with the 3 to 5 hours sets like your going to do. Best bait is the stuff Potbuilder sells. Believe it's called super prawn bait. If you get pots from him you're going to need some bait jars. I went to Value village and picked up some old plastic water bottles or large drink cups with lids and drilled holes. Only cost me like $3. Don't drill the holes too large or you'll get too many sea lice. I experimented with larger holes to see if it helped my catch and it didn't just more lice. Good luck.

Default the pot....

he's stoppin by tomorrow - to pot me up I picked up some old pots on craigs - and getting the remainder and other gear from Steve.

How can I get ahold of Steve? I am intrested in another 2 pots with rigging.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post

thanks

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/member.php?u=3308

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post

thanks
    THANKS GUYS for spreading the word around on my gear !!
    just email me, the addy is at the bottom of the page or the email is on the yellow ID tag on the pots
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    THANKS GUYS for spreading the word around on my gear !!
    just email me, the addy is at the bottom of the page or the email is on the yellow ID tag on the pots
    Steve
    No thanks necessary, Just Send Shrimp!!!