Thread: Prop on the rivers?

Default Prop on the rivers?

I'm an experienced boatsman getting ready to move to Alaska. My question is this: Are there any salmon rivers in the valley that I can safely run a prop or should I just plan to make the jump to a jet?

Depending on the conditions you can fish the mouth of the Deshka with a prop. It kind of depends on how the deshka landing is doing. Later in the season as the kings move up the deshka you would definately need a jet.

As far as the valley is concerned there are only 2 places that I have ever ran a prop. The Little Susitna (downstream only), where 99.9% of smart people use a jet. I have done it but it really isn't the best place for a prop. The other is the Big Susuitna, depending on the water levels you can use a prop on it if you are good at reading the river. This year would not have been a good time to use a prop as the water was very low at times. I ran a prop for several years, had 2 incidents I could have done just fine without. I now have an inboardjet which IMHO is the best way to go. There are many boats in Alaska that use outboard jets and do just fine. Funny thing is that a jet is like a four wheel drive. It gets ya in further before you get stuck. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are running jets and still don't pay attention to the channels. There is always someone beaching it when the water drops.

I bought a jet because I don't want to worry about tearing a lower unit off miles from a launch or help. A couple years ago, you could not get your jet into a shop to be fixed. The water was so low that the jets were getting torn up. An old timer said to plan for low water every few years (and sometimes for short periods most years). It is just a matter of time before a channel changes, or the wind makes it look like it changed or many other reasons cause you to ground your boat. With my jet, I just shut it down and pole/push or come-a-long it back to the water, clean the grate and go. You may be able to run a bit with a prop and a jack plate but the cost of repairs will soon catch up to a jet pump.

Default Jet...

Many thanks for the sage advice from all. Where is a good place to have the jet installed, who makes the best one and what should I expect to pay for it installed? Once again many thanks in advance for all the advice.

Default Don't move to Alaska

We don't need any more river runners. What we need is people who care enough about this land that they respect it for all it was rather than for all it can become.

Default Hey Ernie,

Just curious, where did you move up from?

Default Go ahead Big Brown 767

Big Brown, not so long ago I got a reply like Ernie's as a reply on a question of buying real estate for hunting bases. Of course I couldn't care less as usually it comes from someone who cannot do and will never have the means to do yet resent those who can. I did realize through correspondence that most Alaskans appreciate good sportsmen with a respect for natural resources as you probably are. Funny thing, more often than not those I know and speak with moved from some other state to Alaska. About your motor, has anyone seen or used a "mud buddy" www.mudbuddy.com ?

Ok Ernie, you win I'm out. I'll break the news to my family. To the others thanks for the help, I'll take a look at the Mud Buddy as soon as I get the tears out of my eyes... Oh hey they're gone.