Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Success

Cool Opening Day Success

Day 1:
    skydiver_99654 (Johnny) and I headed out Saturday morning for our weekend bou hunt. The plan was to set up camp and then scope out the area for animals. Saturday was miserable, it rained and rained and rained. The swamps and bogs were awful and full of water. The trend of the ride in was stuck, winch, and drain the johnson. After camp was set we drove around until we were just down right sick of the rain. Soaked from head to toe we headed back to the tent for some zzzZZzz's and a sign of hope the storm would blow over. After a couple hours we hear a couple atv's drive by. Great we have competition. We ate some food, glassed a bit from the tent and then hit the sack thinking of bou.

Day 2:
    Johnny wakes me up and I poke my head out of the tent, partly sunny. We eat and head to the valley we wanted to glass. If we saw no bou we would climb the mountain and glass the next valley over. Once we get close to the first valley we see two lonesome atv's without riders. We figure they are glassing another valley to the south. We head down the trail for a couple minutes when we see a hunter at the bottom of the valley climbing up. Then we glass the hill side and spot four bou half way up the hill side. Johnny and I couldn't figure if he was going after the bou we spotted or another animal farther up the mountain we couldn't see. The wind was not in his favor and we knew he was in a bad position if he planned to take one of the bou. He stood out like a sore thumb against the green and brown hillside and the bou would either wind him or spot him before he would have a chance at a shot.

We decided to head to a ridge line directly below the caribou. At this point the caribou are a good mile away. Suddenly I see two other hunters hidden in the rocks at the point we we planned to sit. Now the hunter climbing the hill is almost horizontal with the bou. Long story short the caribou either wind him or see him. The four bou bust rump downhill and stop after a couple hundred yards. We see the hunter shoulder his rifle and fire a round. The ground explodes roughly five feet behind the caribou in the back of the small herd. That was enough to convince the bou to turn on the after burners and head to Canada. The bou are now heading straight towards us. We grab our rifles and continue to wait watching the bou hoofing towards us like running of the bulls. Now the bou are a mile away from the hunter climbing the hill and atleast half a mile away from the other two hunters in the rocks, The other hunters lost their chance and considering the circumstances I wasn't about to let these bou run right by me without taking a shot. Johnny let me have first shot and now it's game time.

The bou came within 200 yards directly in front of us. Once they spotted us they made a b line to our direct right crossing a filled in and grown over pond. The four bou are in a dead sprint, I'm leading one in my scope. I pull the trigger, BOOM. Darn, the bou is still running. I lead it again, BOOM. It's still running. I lead it again, BOOM. The bou dropped right after the bullet connected, and the rest is history.

We dress the bou, and find two bullets connected. Johnny and I put the meat on the racks of my atv, and head back to camp. Instead of hunting another day we decided to pack up and head home so the meat does not spoil. Not bad for two days, one night, and one bagged bou.

I've had more bad experiences with hunting partners than good experiences. Those times have made me leary of new hunting partners. I can confidentally say Johnny was a great hunting partner and good company in the field. You don't find people like that too often.

The first two pics are of the ride in and camp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Gear Review

TAG Bags:
    After this hunt I will not use another game bag! The bags were compact, light, and performed as well as the cotton bags I've used. I've read some people have had problems with air circumlation while using the tag bags and their meat did not develope a crust. From the point the meat was bagged to the time I got home was 10 hours and the meat was almost completely crusted over. When I washed the bags with the hose they came out almost as white and they were the day I bought them. Two thumbs up for the tag bags.

The first pic is the bou on the hillside and the second is me with my bou. Yup, she's no double shovel but it's meat in the freezer.

Finally, this is a picture of my dog the moment she was introduced to miss bou.

were you up by chicken or Tier II

Congratulations; did you need a snorkel with that weather? J.

This bou was part of the nelchina herd.

I didn't even get to test the snorkel. The wife would kill me if I sank her atv.

Alright James!!!! Your success always shows from your hard work. Make sure to keep the "extras" for trapping this winter. If you need freezer space let me know. I will need those wolf snares back though,lol.

Thanks Steve. Those snares have been bugging me, I need to get them back to you asap. Name a day and time in the evening and I'll drop them off.

I wanted to take more extras back for tapping but I only had so much room on my wheeler. It would've been real tough to get a meat wagon in there with the lil rancher. I do have some bones and such.

Congrats James, and thanks for sharing the story and pics. So have you fried up the loins or anything yet; how's it taste?
    Best,

Thanks Mark. We havn't tried any meat yet, but plan to soon. I've been too busy packing up the meat and cleaning, drying, and putting away gear.

Default Congrats

Nice to read the first story of the season. Glad to see that you had some success.

Congrats on your bou. Thanks for the story. Nice to see someone connected last weekend. I was wondering how things worked out on the opener.

WG congrats on the Bou! The kids loved the pics, now they are bugging me to get one so they can have some moose sticks.

Congrate to the both of you! But, Johnny, are you cheating on me?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Congrate to the both of you! But, Johnny, are you cheating on me?
    What goes on in the Talkeetna Mtns.....stays in the Talkeetna Mtns.....

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post

Another gear review:

Outdoor Edge's Swingblade
    http://www.outdooredge.com/product_d...D=4&prod_ID=44

I love this knife! The price of $70 is a steal considering you get two knives in an all in one easy to use package. The gutting knife tracked like a laser cutter through the hide and the drop point worked well for everything else. The knife is comfortable to hold and will always be in my pack. The only downfall is the steel required frequent time with the stone compared to my Helle that needed one or two runs on the diamond.

more atv fun.... ! ! !
    Thank God for WG's winch.... ! ! !

Default In the mud.

Hey john you should save your milk money and buy a winch....

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter300saum View Post
    Hey john you should save your milk money and buy a winch....
    Better yet buy an ARGO for that slop ,You could of been in in out in a day.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver99654
    Don't worry Curt...you'll get him back at some point <grin>. Busted a gut at that response Johnny, glad you guys had a successful hunt!
    Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast