Thread: Woods river moose hunt

Default Woods river moose hunt

I am wondering if anyone knows whether or not i could get a 21 ft jet boat in there for moose hunting? I am trying to find a good place to hunt without too many worries on the boat running too shallow. Any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks again

David

the wood is a pretty small river, smaller than the salchaket slough, although similar, if you're familiar at all with that one. the trick is the mouth. it is really shallow and pretty sketchy. we ran it a while ago in high water in our extreme shallow and rubbed bottom a couple times at the mouth. depends what kind of boat you have

Hot rod,
    I have a hewescraft with the deep V. I am basically looking for somewhere i can get to, to hunt moose with that boat. Any "pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated". I just got back from Iraq and haven't had any time to plan out a good river yet, and im not overly familiar with non-valley rivers. Thanks again for the help...

David

Not with that boat, that is for sure. You won't make it...

yeah, you probably won't make it in that boat. i wouldn't try it. as far as other rivers, the teklanika is pretty good, about the size of the chena. the yukon is always a safe bet. those are the two i can think of that probably wouldn't be overly crowded. good luck
    andrew

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NOt sure you can use a boat on the wood river, most of it is closed to motorized vehicals.... i would guess that includes powered boats.. but i hear a lot of people float it in the summer for the fishing....

Default Woody debris

Seems to me with all of the flooding people are talking about that the mouth of the Wood ought to be easily crossed with a jet boat. Agree?

Just watch for large woody debris in the raging torent!

I'm slightly confused. Are we talking about the Wood river on the Tanana? Or is there a "Woods" river somewhere else?

If it is the Wood River, then you can hunt it by boat until roughly the japan hills area. It is a CUA. I mapped it out a few seasons ago, so I can't remember the boundry of the CUA, but the reg is pretty clear on where it is. Tough place to get into though.

The wood river is basically considered a air boat river though small jets like mine can make it if you can negotiate the mouth of the river. My boat is 16ft with an outboard jet, it is light and small. I would not attmept it in a 21 foot boat particularly if it is an inboard.

The mouth is broad and braided, the water is very silty so visibility through the water is zero. You need a high skill level of reading current to pick out the main channel. With high water the river is actualy more difficult to read. There are places in the river that are broad and flat leading one to belive you can run straight up the middle, when in fact, the channel snakes through that portion.

There is alot of area and moose along the tanana river and the larger tributaries of that river. Finding a place to hunt along it shouldn't be too difficult.

Good luck on your hunt.

Default Broads and Braids

I definitely understand the caution. I have a 16', 5' widesmokercraft jon which I can barely move by myself when it goes dry. Ironically, especially when loaded, it draws more water than most larger heavier jet boats because there is less surface area to displace and share the weight.

Is the Tanana flats area SO flat that the rivers don't actually rise in water elevation during flooding but just disperse wider and into the marshes? Even the Taku R. which is a mile and 1/2 across can be mere inches, if not altogether exposed. There is a channel, but finding it can be difficult. But when a super high tide comes in, or when the river hits flood stage, even with all that water being dispersed over such a wide area, the river still becomes passable just about anywhere, even with a tug boat or 32' fish trawler! I'm just not seeing how the flooding can make navigation even more risky, unless during normal waters the mouth is filled with all of these super tall sand dunes that you weave between and then lurk beneath the surface when flooded.

In any case I kind of like my modified jet canoe for running the really little sloughs and beaver dam jumping. It doesn't do so well in fast current though.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I'm just not seeing how the flooding can make navigation even more risky, unless during normal waters the mouth is filled with all of these super tall sand dunes that you weave between and then lurk beneath the surface when flooded.

In any case I kind of like my modified jet canoe for running the really little sloughs and beaver dam jumping. It doesn't do so well in fast current though.
    the flooded river washes the channel Bottom FLAT. there is no longer any single channel and the spreading of the river actually drops the depth of the water.. it is not until the water begins to subside that a new channel is re-cut into the river bottom..

for instance///

go to the beach on low tide and dig a ditch in the sand. it will allow water to run through it until it is covered by the high tide.... go back on the next low and your ditch is no longer there.. and in the case of a river it may have been filled with rocks, the size of a VW or half the forest that was growing upstream weeks earlier...

speaking off... any one headed out the next few weeks remember to watch for sweepers.... don't get dead...

The non-motorized use or 'controlled use area' (CUA) of the Wood River Unit 20A, and the associated restrictions on motorized vehicles, have nothing to do with using a conventional power boat on a navigable water-way to access that area.. The regs for the Unit 20A CUA strictly prohibit vehicles that utilize a motor for purposes of accessing the -lands- on the East and South sides of the Rex Trail, between the points that the regs identify as the boundaries for that CUA. As stated earlier, the regs are fairly clear as to defining that area.

B-U-T!!! That whole area has recently flooded quite badly! Goldking Creek became Goldking River, complete with whitewater. The Rex Trail out that way had water running down it sufficient for a shallow drafting kayak to maneuver at times.

Make-shift bridges, barrels/drums, and other debris were washed away in some instances, and some of that carnage was spotted downstream from the Rex Trail's crossing with the Goldking Creek, either making its way to the Wood River, or getting hung up in sweepers.. or becoming sweepers..

Places that folks used to cross the water on the Rex Trail have, in some cases, had the banks eroded by a serious multi-week torrential flooding to the point that some of those places will now swallow your 4-wheeler over the top and then a few feet more, where as last year you might've crossed there, and barely been up to your hubs. TEST THE DEPTH OF CROSSINGS, EVEN IF YOU"VE USED THEM A HUNDRED TIMES BEFORE. THEY'VE LIKELY CHANGED.. A LOT.

The last report I had was that the Wood River is still high, the Rex Trail in many places is still either wet, or still with (slower) running water, and we're not even out of the rainy season yet!!

In short, if you thought that the Rex Trail was wet and miserable last year, you ain't seen nuthin' yet... There's some reports that folks can't make it to 7-Mile Lake, let alone the CUA. No confirmation on the accuracy of that though.

Good luck, and take a video camera. If you don't get to photograph any wild critters, you might just get the opportunity to submit some valuable footage to America's Funniest Home Videos of persons taking non-amphibious rigs through water two or more times the depth of their rig's height. And take plenty of beer, because there's no doubt that when that occurs, THAT will be 'Miller time.'