Thread: Yamaha Tachometer hook up/wiring ??

Default Yamaha Tachometer hook up/wiring ??

Any of you guys know how to hook up a tack to my 50hp 4 stroke yami outboard? I bought a Yamaha tach but the tach has 2 square plugs and a few socket type plugs on it and my shifter has a bunch of socket type plugs on it. I'm guessing that the plugs on the shifter should somehow match up to the plug ins on the tach?? Anybody know what color goes to what?? or do i have to go to the stealers and get some kind of adapter plug for the whole mess. couple of pics to show ya what i've got. Thanks in advance for any help.
    P8110438.JPG

P8110439.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Off the 703 controls I know GREEN is tach signal, RED is key-on Power, and BLACK is ground . . . I hooked my F50 to a non-Yamaha Tach.

I originally got that info from looking at a Service Manual my neighbor had that covered models actually slightly older than my model year.

Since you have a Yamaha Gauge, it will also read a number of other feeds il pressure, temp, tilt position, etc. so I'm not sure which goes to what on that.

Default Yamaha tach

Did you get the kit with the wiring harness or just the tach? I recently installed one on my Kenai boat and the kit I got from Dewey's came with two wiring harness's and it was all plug and play. One harness goes back to the motor and the other goes from the tach to the wires coming out of the 703 control box. Hope that helps.

Madman

Default try IBOATS.COM

try Iboats! enter the forum, and search for yamaha tach installation... I found a complete set there last spring... used it to install my yami tach... works great!

If you still come up wanting... drop me a line and I'll try to get you a copy of my install instructions.

good luck

Thanks for the replies guys. I stopped by the yamaha shop on Spenard today and talked with one of the guys in the shop and he got me lined out on what i need to get things going. Had to order a couple of harnesses. One thing i can say about that shop is that they seem to be willing to tell you what you need and how to do it, not like the other place where its "you better bring it in" so we can do it for you. I also asked about putting the "brain box" back in to make the motor a 50hp again and was told yeah just swap it out with the 35hp brain box and all should be good. The other shop told me it had to be reprogramed on their computer or it wouldn't run. I'll keep you all posted on how things turn out but so far i know where i'll be going for any other problems i have with the yami.(if i have any ??)

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default more?

Im suprised you had to buy more harness. I just bought a Yamaha tach to hook to my F50/703 box and it was pretty straight forward.

Ive yet to run it with the new tach but am looking forward to it, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Im suprised you had to buy more harness. I just bought a Yamaha tach to hook to my F50/703 box and it was pretty straight forward.

Ive yet to run it with the new tach but am looking forward to it, good luck.
    Its one of those digital tachs so i guess it might need the extra harness for all the other readouts. I not going to buy more than i need so we'll see what comes from the yami guy?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692