Thread: Dc001

Default Dc001

I drew a DC001 tag this year and would like to talk to anyone with the same tag. We can compare ideas and strategy, maybe hunt together if things work out. I know it is a tough hunt and teamwork lightens the load for everyone.

Right now I am planning to try going in by snow machine in early December depending on trail conditions. Thought about a September bike along the trail but the wife has a moose and caribou draw tag to try an dfill that month.

Anyone with experience on this hunt is welcome to chime in...

F4rom what I understand its not likely youll have enough snow to get in on snowmachines before end of season but who knows....Drew last year and gave it a good shot and came back with sore feet only. Dont get me wrong,I'd do it all again in a heartbeat as the area is awsome.
    Went in 2nd week of September and hiked to East creek cabin first day and spent the night. Woke up and hiked back down to Moose creek,crossed Ressurection and up moose creek valley to Big Indian and followed it up towards the headwaters. Looking up the valley(moose creek)the right side is all shale but doable,get your water jugs filled before leaving moose creek.Seen black bear and had wolves moving through camp one night but didnt see any caribou,basically ran out of time. Beautiful country up there,youll have a great time. Bikes would make the trail portion easier even if you are just pushing them along with your gear packed on them. Reading the log in the cabin it sounded like more was seen(caribou) along the mountains from the trail during later weeks of August. Best of luck to you and enjoy.

A couple pics of that trip...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I drew that hunt last year and arranged to go in by horse with one (highly recommended) of the two outfitters licensed by F&G to take hunters with tags into the area. He was reported to be very experienced, knowledgable of the area, and had drawn the same tag so was motivated to go in himself with a friend (party tag). I sent in a $1000 deposite to secure a spot about 4 months ahead of time. 5 days before the hunt while I was in the L48 the outfitter called me on my cell and told me he wasn't going to be able to go because he was worried about the weather!!!!!! Not much I could do - hunt trashed. I did get my deposite back....but what I really wanted was to go on the hunt. That's my story and I am stickin' to it! After researching all the options I came to the conclusion that the most reasonable means to hunt the area was by horse. Below is the link to the outfitter that I had contracted with. You know my experience so you are forewarned. There is a good potential for a trophy bou from the area...if you have a means to get in and get your game back out. Check the archives for others experience re:this hunt. Good luck.

http://www.alaskahorsemen.com/

" Looking up the valley(moose creek)the right side is all shale but doable,get your water jugs filled before leaving moose creek."[/quote]

Just caught that I wrote right side is shale looking up when its the LEFT.

Check out this link:

http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/ala...nting_2005.htm

This couple has some great hunting stories and there is a story about their Kenai caribou hunt.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Opening day success!

I also drew a DC001 tag this year and was successfull on the opener. Not a huge bull but it didn't matter to me. The area is beautiful, and I was on the east side of Resurection Pass. Good luck to all this season.

Default plenty of horsepower but no tags here

I look forward to drawing DC001 one of these days. They give out 250 permits each year but so far I have not drawn it in 10 years. I have the horses and live nearby but in a wait until next year status again . . .Unless I draw the killey mountain caribou tag first. That one I have hunted . .it is a jewel.
    Good Luck, DrB

Just hike it.

Charterboat Operator

Default snow machines

no sence waiting till you can ride in as this year the area is closed to motorized travel, they (parks) left the season open last spring till the snow cover was lost and are closing the entire year to sleds. might be a good trade off.
    better not get started on that issue, just do it and dont wait to ride in.