Thread: Ship creek moose hunt

Default Ship creek moose hunt

I drew DM446 and was wondering if anyone has any experience on what not to do on this hunt. Also what is the popular vote for the best route to take going in, Arctic valley or Highland rd?

P.S. if anyone wants to help pack out just give me your contact info and standby in mid Sep.
    Last edited by forgotvirginia; 08-11-2008 at 15:48. Reason: spelling

Default Lots of Work

Was drawn 2 yrs ago, went in thru Artic Valley trail down to Ship Crk for a solid couple of days. No visibility in the woods. Saw one party get a small cow. I guess if you sat around for a week you might see something, but I have a job.

Use to hunt the area before it was a draw. A lot of moose in there 5 or so years ago. Take the arctic valley trail and walk in from there. It opens up down in the bottom a bit after you pass the wilderness sign and we had a lot of luck calling them in scraping and grunting.

Default just my thoughts

I hope you have horses for that packing job!!!

thanks for the input and no I don't have horses but do have 9 friends with strong backs.

Default Good luck

I've hunted / helped in that area 3 times. We always went in over the saddle off the end of Hiland Rd. and camped on the hillside overlooking the drainage. A friend shot a nice bull in there 2 years ago and we always saw moose every hunt. Glassing from on high in the early AM proved best, but in the second season you may be able to call a bit better. Lots of bears back there... BTW, horses were banned from the trails last year because of the very wet conditions. Don't know if that will apply this year as well.

RFM

spot from the top of the chairlift... depending on where I shot a moose down there it would dictate how to get it out...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

thanks for the advice on the hillside approach. What is the difference in distance traveled and elevation change from the Ship Creek trail?

I hunted Ship Creek drainage this past spring for brown bear, if I were going to hunt that area for moose I would go in from the saddle off of Hiland rd. We saw a hammer of a moose in there last year but he gave us the slip. Get about halfway down and sit and glass, the closer to the end of the month is when you want to start calling them. Thats a tough hunt and when the moose is down the fun is DEFINITELY over!!!

Default Agree

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I hunted Ship Creek drainage this past spring for brown bear, if I were going to hunt that area for moose I would go in from the saddle off of Hiland rd. We saw a hammer of a moose in there last year but he gave us the slip. Get about halfway down and sit and glass, the closer to the end of the month is when you want to start calling them. Thats a tough hunt and when the moose is down the fun is DEFINITELY over!!!
    I have never gone in from Arctic Valley ski area along the Ship Creek trail, so I really can't compare the distance, although on a map it looks about the same. The advantage to coming in from Hiland is that you are already high and can side-hill for a camp site / glassing area as opposed to hiking up out of the valley. I would guess we were situated a good 5-600 feet above the actual Ship Creek itself. The moose we packed out a couple years ago was 5 miles from the parking lot at Hiland - AKHunter is absolutely right in saying the fun is over once that trigger is pulled, but it was a great experience (in hindsight) and a unique opportunity so close to town. Best of luck.

RFM

thanks a bunch guys...Wish me luck on my hunt. If you see an exausted looking guy sneeking around with a bow then it's probably me.