Thread: DIY jet conversion

Default DIY jet conversion

40 HP merc on a 16' flat boat. What am I in for? I've pulled lower units before, pretty easy on a merc., how hard is it going to be to hook up the jet? Should be here any day now.

1st time 2 maybe 3 cold ones. If you like to down them before they even think about getting warm....

Default simple

very simple, follow instructions included w/ jet....IF new jet DOESN'T come w/ installation instructions try to get them online @ outboardjet.som

First, buy a dedicated waterpump for the jet-foot, trust me on this one. Saves 10 minutes on the dark, rainey, mosquito infested gravel bar when you are swapping out lower unit to jet-foot (or back). Have a mechanic help you assemble the jet (torque specs and all) before you pull it out of the cardboard box for the cool hat. (don't forget 2-3 beers for your machanic also).

Swap the lower unit and jet foot in your driveway on a nice sunny day... take it to the boat ramp, get it wet, start it and see what you did incorrectly. Make appropriate adjustments and get it wet again. Make a couple more corrections. Repeat untill you've got it right. Make note of how much each different component needs to be adjusted to make it function correctly on the appropriate drive-unit Go home. Enjoy more beer.

Next Day, go to your driveway and swap the lower-unit and jet-foot out again and again and again and then possibly again. Take the fabric bag that comes with the jet-foot and place the bolts, nuts, washers, shims, etc from whichever unit you are swapping out into said bag. Every bolt, nut, washer, shim, etc that you drop, or almost drop or could possibly drop while you are: busy swatting at a mosquito, bee, or kid, or, when the boat starts to bounce around on the wake of a drunken sport-john that goes ripping buy and ...go to the store and buy 4 spares. Every tool that you use, as well as said fabric bag, goes into a seperate, smaller, "popular tools" kit. Put your spare bolts, nuts, washers, shims etc into your regular "big" tool kit.

Now that you feel like and expert, forego dinner, wait untill it's getting dark, have the now hungry wife and kids join you in the driveway while you swap the lower unit and jet-foot back and forth a time or two. Every bolt, nut, washer, shim, etc that you drop, go to the store and buy two more.

Remember me when you are swapping jet and lower-unit on a dark, rainey, mosquito infested gravelbar with hungry kids and a less than enthusiastic wife and you drop a bolt, a nut, a washer and a shim into the water and you have enough spares and practice to do the swap in less than 20 minutes. And then when you get back to town, send me two or three beers.

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

^^That was funny, good one.

And since we're talking jet units, what is the difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke unit? I've been looking for a used one for my outboard and only found one for a 2-stroke. Bolt pattern is the same. And I know the 4-stroke rotates in opposite direction from the 2-stroke. Different impeller work? And possibly the main drive shaft?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Not really meant to be funny...humorus? sure, but not funny. I don't know 'bout the rest o'yall, but out here on the Kuskokwim, we typically will travel the main river with prop and then swap-out to our jet when we head off the main river and into gravel. The info is a combo of lessons passed to me and lessons learned the good old fashioned way. It's d@*n amazing just how quickly a stack of shims will dissappear when they unexpectedly slip off the drive shaft and into the cold clear water...if you don't have extra shims all your hard work and planning for that epic moose/caribou/bear/trout/grayling/salmon slaying/camping/get back in touch with your kids/family trip is completely shot. D@*N! not a marina/hardware store for 200 miles...well guys/Dad/honey/kids, I guess we'll camp here...on this dark, rainey, mosquito infested gravel bar...

Pretty impressive though, where some of the long-time locals gan get with a prop...you know, those places we spend thousands of dollars investing in a boat and motor and jet-foot to get to after what seems like a herculean, extreme Alaskan, REAL MEN ONLY, super adventure...and then here comes this OLD guy in a 20' "Yukon Raider" with an '82 Mariner 75 horse, plugging along with, literally, 10 people in it, right through the same section of river you sucked enough gravel through your jet that it took you 20 minutes of filing your impeller, just to make it look like the red-headded step-child of the shiney-new impeller you, only 72 hurs prior, took out of the Specialty MFG Outboard Jets box, only after oohhing and ahhing over the foam-fronted, mesh-backed trucker's hat you paid $2000 for and got a free jet-foot with. not to mention the $1200 you paid for the hydraulic lift...Some people got skills...

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

to the original post,
    I've seen that happen personnally.. i put a jet on my Yami and made it up the river where I thought only I (or others with jets can go) and here comes my cousin with a 70 Yami w/prop unit... kinda gives me a sense of appreciation to his skils in navigating the river, but **** it, sometimes it pisses me off that I could have done that too my self.. anyway.. good post. lots of good info..

I've done this before, run up the river with a prop and switch out along the banks to a jet.. been there/done that so I know what I'm doing...

I agree with the advice to get a dedicated water pump if you intend to ever switch back and forth from jet to prop. I never did. If you run a jet in silty water for a few years my tip is to buy a spare shaft and bearing assembly to have ready when your bearing fails. I did so for years and needed it several times. I can replace the entire shaft assembly on a riverbank in about 40 minutes and be running again. I'd take the bad shaft home and rebuild the bearing and stick it back in the boat as the spare.

If you run a jet....know how to repair it on the river bank. Tools and spare parts are mandatory equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethell View Post
    Pretty impressive though, where some of the long-time locals gan get with a prop...you know, those places we spend thousands of dollars investing in a boat and motor and jet-foot to get to after what seems like a herculean, extreme Alaskan, REAL MEN ONLY, super adventure...and then here comes this OLD guy in a 20' "Yukon Raider" with an '82 Mariner 75 horse, plugging along with, literally, 10 people in it, right through the same section of river you sucked enough gravel through your jet that it took you 20 minutes of filing your impeller, just to make it look like the red-headded step-child of the shiney-new impeller you, only 72 hurs prior, took out of the Specialty MFG Outboard Jets box, only after oohhing and ahhing over the foam-fronted, mesh-backed trucker's hat you paid $2000 for and got a free jet-foot with. not to mention the $1200 you paid for the hydraulic lift...Some people got skills...
    Your comments gave me a chuckle and they are true! About 20 years ago I was helping a neighbor ready a big jon boat with a outboard jet on it for his fishing trips to the Deska. Summer finally came around and he bragged to me about the places he could now access and he was mighty proud of himself with his new jet boat. He offered to take me fishing one day and we traveled a long distance and he was telling me how remote we were, etc.
    Pretty soon we heard the sound of another boat rounding the bend and it held about 6 adults and was going so slow it was not on step. They stopped to say hello and we discovered there motor was a prop drive.

Thumbs up New Shift Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    40 HP merc on a 16' flat boat. What am I in for? I've pulled lower units before, pretty easy on a merc., how hard is it going to be to hook up the jet? Should be here any day now.
    Do you have a console? I ask, because if you do, you will need to change your shift cable with one that is shorter. You will also need a transome extension to raise the outboard 5" of so. PM me if you need more info.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public