Thread: When the bite's off

Default When the bite's off

We were around Esther yesterday (sunday) and just hammering silvers and pinks and then about 4:30 it was like somebody flipped a switch.

All of a sudden they were ignoring lures that they'd been chasing down just an hour ago, we were in only about 5-15 feet of water and I could see all the way down to the bottom and watch the lures go right through large schools of fish and get totally ignored.

We through everything in the tackle boxes at them; pixies of every color, red, chartruse, green, pink, squid stingers, spoons, black and whites, bait, mooching, heck you name it we threw it at them, only to watch them go through schools of fish and get completely ignored. We even tried bait under a bobber....

What the heck?! The lighting was the same (overcast), it was a real shallow tide change, nothing much changed.

I've seen this hundreds of times and I've never been able to figure out why it happens. Anybody have any ideas?

where you jigging the pixies? Did you have a marabou jig to jig through the school. There is always one silver in every school that has to have a jig.

I have seen it in Ship creek where silvers were ignoring everything and I used some homemade jigs to catch a limit when no others were being caught.

I could see the schools going under me and watch them evade all the lures. The jig would be ignored just like everything else until that one silver would have to have it. The silver would bite at it until they got it. It was like a shark in a frenzy. They would twist and snap at it. I learned that if the fish did not get it on the first snap then let the jig be still and the silver would nail it. If I let the jig be still before the fish ever snapped at it the silver would turn away at the last second.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

No ideas - but snagging in saltwater is legal

Default Moving on...

I've seen it all the time for years; bombard the fish long enough and they get wise to you and shut you off. Sure, there are exceptions and every once in a while some different offering will renew interest.

However my acessment is one that I have used for years. When the fish ignore me, I move on...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Marabou jig is about the only thing I dont have in the tackle box, heh its worth a try at least.

After the bite was off we went to another cove nearby that also had fish jumping, same result. By then it was 6 and we had a cooler full of fish and both had to go to work in the morning so we knocked off and headed back.

Killer whales may have been in the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Killer whales may have been in the vicinity.
    They fight waaaaaaay better than silvers!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    They fight waaaaaaay better than silvers!!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHA! Especially if you snag one in the tail!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

The best fight I have ever had was with my mother-inlaw when I snagged her daughter .