Thread: Heater for 3-man tent

Question Heater for 3-man tent

All,

I will be camping in a tent over labor day with my wife and 10 month old son. I was wondering of there are any safe options for a heater for the tent.

Thanks in advance,

Gusto

Default Mr heater Portable Buddy

If you have room the best way to go is the mr buddy heater. Runs on the coleman cylinders & shuts off if its knocked over amd has an oxygen sensor for carbon monoxide.

No way I'd trust a Mr. Buddy with a 10month old in the tent. I've gotten light headed from them and never had the O2 sensor shut it off. I do not know of a fail safe way to heat a tent in your case. I still use a Mr. Buddy to dry out clothes in the vestibule of my tent, but I won't sleep with it on.Frankly, I'd just get a big zip together sleeping bag along with big blow up queen size air mattress (one fits in my 3 man tents) and snuggle down. It won't get that cold on Labor Day.

I've found that a lantern works about as well as anything. You'll want to make sure you have some cross or high/low ventilation.
    Now what ?

Exclamation No..

This sounds like a big "what not to do" scenario. I agree with Doug. Use good quality bags and such. Be sure to have a good sleeping pad to insulate you from the ground. Throw a few Nalgenes with hot water in them at the foot of the bags perhaps. But don't put any kind of heater in the tent. And be aware that an adults body may tolerate something but a small child very well may not.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    If you have room the best way to go is the mr buddy heater. Runs on the coleman cylinders & shuts off if its knocked over amd has an oxygen sensor for carbon monoxide.
    Hey guys, everybody needs to be aware that a low oxygen sensor will not detect high levels of carbon monoxide or any other dangerous gasses. It only triggers when oxygen levels have been depleted. All combustion produces some level of noxious gasses (including CO), and unless they are vented out of the area there is a potential for these gasses to build up to deadly levels.

The Mr. Buddy type heaters are great products when used correctly, but they can be dangerous if not properly understood. Be careful out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Arctic Oven

Invest money, buy an arctic oven tent, and be done with it

Default zodi

zodi used to make a tent heater that had a heat exchanger and battery operated blower that blew warm air through a hose into the tent. Heating unit stayed outside so no problem with co or low o2.

Default Mr. Buddy Heater...

That's kind of crazy to me that you guys would have thought that the Mr. Buddy Heater isn't safe enough with a 10 month old.
    You have to think about it this way:
    Outdoorsmen, Wife, and 10 month old son will only be in the tent so many hours and will only need it to set off the chill when first entering the tent and getting ready to go to sleep for the night. They may only need it for 10 minutes, wife can nurse or feed the baby, and they all can cuddle together until morning.
    In the morning, when feeding and changing diapers, again... to set off the chill in the air for 10 minutes and then they are out.

I think that the bigger question is long term warmth for wife and baby. The lantern thing kind of stinks. Been there, done that... try nursing a baby with only a lantern for heat! It's not fun. It's not worth it. Actually, it gave me a REAL bad taste for being outdoors and hunting REAL quick.

Gus,
    Will you be spending a great deal of time out of tent than in tent (such has hiking, fishing, etc). If it's doing a cooler/cold activity (like boating in September), is there a place where wife and 10 month old son can significantly warm up before getting to the tent to alleviate the transitional time between getting into the tent and being able to warm up solely by body heat?
    Lurker.

A propane lantern actually burns the same amount of fuel as a Mr. Buddy. I get about the same amount of burn out of one for a tank of fuel, therefore it emits just as much heat. I don't like lanterns much either, but they do produce a tremendous amount of heat and can be really dangerous if the tent is too small because they have no safety for CO built into them.

On my recent hunt in Kodiak I was able to set my Mr. Buddy heater up in the vestibule and leave the front door open. That provided plenty of oxygen for the heater and warmed the tent up well. We ran it for six hours in one day and I never got the light headedness I got when I ran it in the tent with the door closed. It worked really well this way and I consider it pretty safe...even for a baby. It only took about 5 minutes to warm our tent from 44F to 70F..it was amazing how fast it heated up. Definately worth doing.

Use the Mr Buddy just run it when you are awake, shut it off before lights out and bundle up, in the morning start it up to take the chill off. September is an easy month...try January or Feb.