Thread: Anyone loading lead bullets in 9mm?

Default Anyone loading lead bullets in 9mm?

I am looking for someone with some experience loading lead cast bullets in a 9mm. Doesn't matter the bullet type or purpose (target, hunting, plinking) just looking for some advice. PM me if you are / have loaded these.

Thanks,
    Greg

Default Lead bullets in 9mm

I used to load a lot of them for my Luger and Browning HP before 9mm got cheap years ago.

I never had any problems that I recall. The Luger took pretty stiff loads compared to the HP but both feed and shot well.

The conical bullet Lyman makes was one I used the most but I also used some RN. I think I used Unique because I had a lot of it but there are probably better powders now like AA #2.

Quote Originally Posted by aktrapper View Post
    I am looking for someone with some experience loading lead cast bullets in a 9mm. Doesn't matter the bullet type or purpose (target, hunting, plinking) just looking for some advice. PM me if you are / have loaded these.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I don't own a 9x19 right now but I have run lots of cast bullets through them. Many semi auto will accumulate lead shavings at the mouth of the chamber and will eventually keep a round from chambering. Frequent cleaning is the answer. The "don't use lead in a Glock" theory isn't sound, they have worked well for me with the above consideration.

9mm bullets should be sized to .356 and be hard for best results. Even 125 grainers can be supersonic and will lead the barrel after a while. The same considerations of cleaning apply. Also the choice of powder will make a difference and of course the proper lube makes a difference.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?