Thread: Difficult extraction 270 wsm

Default Difficult extraction 270 wsm

I have a kimber montana 270 wsm that sometimes has very difficult extraction with factory loads. I have tried federal fusion and winchester supreme accubonds and both cause the problem. Sometimes I can barely open the bolt. The brass and primers look OK afterwards. Accuracy for this gun has been marginal. It shoots 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards from a rest. From the same rest I can shoot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards with my Ruger Hawkeye. Any ideas on what is going on with this rifle or should I send this rifle back to kimber?

Thanks

Especially since it's happening with factory loads, I'd be on the phone with Kimber and planning to send it back. Way too much money for a rifle that won't perform flawlessly with factory ammo. It would be a real stinker to try and reload for.

How old is this Kimber? The Kimbers have had very inconsistant performance. Some seem to work well and some don't.

Definitiely give Kimber a call and your dealer.

Default send it back for sure

I recommend sending it back to Kimber. They will function test it and test fire it. They don't test fire new rifles at the factory from what I have heard.

Couple years ago, I had a Classic 84M (bought new) in 7mm-08 that I worked real hard to get accuracy out of and it just didn't happen. Broke the barrel in properly, ran factory and a many different recipes from handloads and it wouldn't group well. Tried everything. It just plain wouldn't shoot (meaning accurate, most loads ran 2+ inches at 100yds).

I contacted them and told them that it wouldn't shoot and they said to return it. I had very detailed records of every round shot, what the loads were, etc. They re-crowned the barrel and test fired it and sent the target back with the rifle. Said it met factory accuracy standards, but didn't define what that was. The target had hand writing on it but I couldn't read it. Looked like a doctor wrote it.

It still wasn't that great in my opinion, but it was better.... I sold the rifle, and they guy that bought it is super happy with it and the accuracy.

I really like Kimber's, and have wanted another ever since selling it. Big bonus, it is made in the USA by an American company! If I wasn't such a "buy American" kind of guy and such a fan of mauser type actions and Winchester type safetys I would have bought a Sako. I've never had accuracy problems with the used, not bought new, Sako's I own. Same for a new Tikka I bought. The Fin's shoot them and guarantee the moa though.

A few months ago I came up with a plan, I bought two new identical Kimbers! I am a glutton for punishment... Figured one of them will surely shoot. Figured I'd keep the best one and sell the other one. I am shooting them side by side, both identical Montanas and scoped the same. I have only got to the range once with them and have fired a total of seven rounds each so far. I think both of these are going to be shooters, from what I've seen so far.

Even though these rifles are very, very light I feel they should still shoot three shots less than or equal to one moa with quite a few bullets and loads. Not every bullet and load, but a good many. The components are high enough quality to do it.

From everyone I've talked to that has or had Kimbers and what I've read online it seems you either get a real shooter, or you don't. I think I've heard it referred to as Kimber roulette...

Good luck and if you send it back to Kimber I'd be curious to know how it turns out.

I called Kimber this morning and the rifle is going back. Hopefully they can fix it. If not, I think that I may be done with Kimber. This is the second firearm I have had to send back to Kimber this year.

Makes me wonder how problem guns get out their door (or any other manufacturer, for that matter). It just seems like your problem on this one would have been diagnosed with a simple test firing. Other problems might lurk and take more shooting to surface, but difficult extraction.......

I talked to the representative at Kimber yesterday. She told me that it will take several months to fix my rifle. I guess they are really busy right now. It's a good thing that I have another rifle to hunt with this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I talked to the representative at Kimber yesterday. She told me that it will take several months to fix my rifle. I guess they are really busy right now. It's a good thing that I have another rifle to hunt with this fall.
    Several months!!!

I wouldn't put up with that. That would be grounds to speak with the highest ranking official in the plant, or his supervisor. And I would do this everyday if need be until I got my rifle back home fixed. I bought a used S&W that had been recalled back in 1987. I sent it back for recall modification and it was back in less than thirty days. I sent a Ruger rifle back twice and it wasn't in their facility more than three days each time. Several months, that would be unacceptable to me.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have a Kimber 270wsm that doesn't like to feed. It's marginal with factory Winchester accubonds or xp3. I tried shooting some 130gr Rem Core Lokt a couple of weeks ago and wound up placing one round into the gun at a time, firing, ejecting, then putting in my second round, etc. Absolutely wouldn't push a round up from the magazine area and allow it to feed.

I haven't had time yet, but I'll be calling Kimber.

Murphy,

I agree, several months seems much too long. I have other guns to use, so it's not that big of an issue to me. I think that I am going to just let Kimber deal with it at their leisure and see how long it takes. I am starting to loose confidence in this company. I got a new Kimber 1911 last winter and they did not entirely fix the problem after sending it in. So, I traded it off on another gun.

I really don't care for the east coast attitude when dealing with the Kimber representatives on the phone. They usually try to get me to pay for the shipping to Kimber or tell me that the gun is over a year old and may not be covered by their warrenty. All this changes after I tell them that I purchased the gun from a Kimber dealer and have a recent receipt. They also usually start out by blaming me for the firearm malfunction. I have several kimber rifles and 1911s. I have had no problems with the older guns. The newer guns look great out of the box, but have had major functional issues.

Unless this gun comes back as an absolute tack driver with no cycling issues, I may not be buying any more Kimbers. All I can do right now is wait and give them a chance at fixing it.

Sean

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Maybe, yer problem is with the cat'tridge.

If I hadda nickel for every time Iíve heard about pressure signs with Factory Loads, in the WSMs, OR, feeding difficulties, I could buy a nother rifle.

It seems apparent, that the WSMs are loaded too HOT, and the Short Fats cases, donít feed as well, as longer ones.

No SF cartridges for me. Iím too smart, or uhhh, well, I like to think so.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

They have to load them that way so the will equal the belted mags!

I'd say your right about that. The ammo is maxed out and any variation in the guns can cause that to be an over pressure load. Also I tend to agree about Kimber guns here in the past few years. When they are good they are good but sometimes they aren't so good. I have personally had two guns in the past three years that had to be sent back and one of them was not fixed after it went back. Their facility is small and the demand was high so they had to sacrifice quality for quantity. Bad plan!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Feeding problems... My Browning A-Bolt 325WSM feeds a little mechanical feeling but it is very sure and never seems to bind. You can definately feel each step in the cycle which for me adds some confidence that it is doing what it is supposed to be doing while I am still looking through the scope. My tikka 270wsm is the smoothest cycling rifle I have ever shot. It is so smooth that I have on more than one occasion double checked to see that it actually chambered a round! I think that the WSM seem to prefer the single stack type mags over the offset style.
    Of the 2-3 boxes of ammo I have put through each of my WSM's I have never had a hard extraction. Sad to see the Kimber quality fall off there was a time when I really wanted one of those rifles, now there is not a moment I regret buying an A-Bolt AND a T3 for about the same money!

Red face

I'm considering a Weatherby Vanguard in .270WSM so I'm hoping the problems are with the particular rifle and not inherent to the caliber. Maybe I'll switch to a .257 Weatherby instead....always wanted one of those too!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    I'm considering a Weatherby Vanguard in .270WSM so I'm hoping the problems are with the particular rifle and not inherent to the caliber. Maybe I'll switch to a .257 Weatherby instead....always wanted one of those too!
    There are a lot of guys in this forum who have 270 WSM and I haven't heard a problem from one of them, except this thread which I believe is related to Kimbers and not the 270 WSM. I've read a number of other posts in various forums with similar Kimbe feeding problems as well as other problems.

Having said that, the 257 Wby is a great cartridge also.

There all good cartridges eh...