Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: russian river bear ?

Charterboat Operator

Default russian river bear ?

Anyone hear anything about a gentleman shooting a big boar down on the river over the weekend?
    had a friend that saw a guy with a heard shots, saw the guy with a rifle, and his wife toting a pack frame knives and a camera to where the bear was, somewhere near the cotton wood hole.

curious on this one, unless there is some special permit I dont know of, I think he is just a little bit out of season,

Default black or brown

well i know there is a law that you have to be so far away from the river before you can shoot
    not too shure where he was at.
    black bear are open year round and there is a draw hunt for that area for browns if it is still open after all the dlp's there this year.

I believe you can hunt that area come August for blacks. Maybe he decided to pop the one that used to consistently fish cottonwood?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default Unit 7

Page 51, Rule 5:
    Russian River Closed Area: Consists of the area within 150 yards, and including the river, from the outlet of Lower Russian Lake down-stream to the Russian River/Kenai River confluence is closed to hunting during June and July.

Page 52:
    Black Bear: Two Bears every regulatory year

Brown Bear: One bear every four regulatory years by permit - Drawing. Seasons are Oct 1 - Nov 30 and Apr 1 - June 15

So, theoretically, it was a black bear more than 150 yards from the river. All is legal if this is the case.

I assume I have seen the big boar you refer too. Thought about goin in after it myself.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Default June/July

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Page 51, Rule 5:
    Russian River Closed Area: Consists of the area within 150 yards, and including the river, from the outlet of Lower Russian Lake down-stream to the Russian River/Kenai River confluence is closed to hunting during June and July.

Page 52:
    Black Bear: Two Bears every regulatory year

Brown Bear: One bear every four regulatory years by permit - Drawing. Seasons are Oct 1 - Nov 30 and Apr 1 - June 15

So, theoretically, it was a black bear more than 150 yards from the river. All is legal if this is the case.

This is August; so it's open?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    This is August; so it's open?
    That's my interpretation of the rules.

One of those areas that I've wanted to hunt, but not sure I wanted to deal with the media after packing out a monster black bear

I was there over the weekend, and even though I did not see the kill, several anglers did and I also spoke with the F&G guy that had to move the gut pile. The bear was shot right on the gravel bar at the cottonwood hole in the presence of several anglers and tourist. It made quite a stink amongst those present. F&G told me that it was not a legal kill, and in my opinion, even if it was legal it doesn't make it ethical, especially where it took place. We need to be more aware of how our actions may effect public opinion and this was VERY BAD P.R. for all hunters. But that is my opinion. It has created a very dangerous situation at the cottonwood hole because the gut pile has attracted several big brown bears that come right down to the kill site looking for it, we had to give a 2 year old the right of way several times Sunday because he kept coming back.

Glad I didn't witness the incident, I would have been upset myself.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Default Concur

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    Glad I didn't witness the incident, I would have been upset myself.
    If the details are accurate, then the whole thing is bad juju.
    IMHO, that's the reason there is a 150 yard restriction on the Russian River.

Too many folks don't have the ability to use their God given common sense.

So, we all have laws to make up for them.

Ah well... such is life. If it was the big boar... it was a nice BIG black bear. He had a great coat... I watched him fish a couple of times this summer.

The F&G said that the bear was confiscated. If it was not a legal kill, I am sure it was, but he was just one of the guys that moved the gut pile, he did say that he did not see the guy that shot the bear.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Default Real shame

Real shame... figure that the hide is awesome... but I doubt the meat is worth a darn - as I mentioned the old boy was chowing on lots of carcasses and live fish.
    Hopefully the hide makes a nice rug for ADF&G - like they need anymore of those (grin).

Later!

Default ????

Help me understand this, the rules clearly state that it is closed June and July. Why was it "illeagal" and confinscated? No hunting license maybe

Charterboat Operator

Thanks for al the info guys,
    I had heard it was a brown bear, glad that was not the case.

intrested to hear the whole story, and to find out what happens to the hunter. or if he was actually in the right.

So if he was in the right, could make for an easy "group: hunt

Thumbs down Rumor/Conjecture

Quote Originally Posted by kenaislider View Post
    Help me understand this, the rules clearly state that it is closed June and July. Why was it "illegal" and confiscated? No hunting license maybe
    All is based solely upon rumor, hearsay and conjecture.

Personally, I wouldn't hunt that area, or, that close to the river:

A - could be bad for folks fishing, hiking, photoing, frolicking, etc. Bears sometimes don't go down on shot one.

B - I don't want to hear from those that feel the bear has a higher purpose in life than I do.

C - The meat must be absolutely hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    All is based solely upon rumor, hearsay and conjecture.

Personally, I wouldn't hunt that area, or, that close to the river:

A - could be bad for folks fishing, hiking, photoing, frolicking, etc. Bears sometimes don't go down on shot one.

B - I don't want to hear from those that feel the bear has a higher purpose in life than I do.

C - The meat must be absolutely hideous.
    You don't have to salvage fall black bear meat just because of C.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaislider View Post
    Help me understand this, the rules clearly state that it is closed June and July. Why was it "illeagal" and confinscated? No hunting license maybe
    It might have been confiscated because the bear was shot within 150 yards of the river? Not positive, but curious myself.

How big of a bear was it?

Not sure if it was confiscated, but the cottonwood hole is really close to an improved campground and parking area in the federal park. I think there is a minimum distance from habitated campgrounds in which you can hunt. But don't quote me on that because I haven't really researched the reg for that area becaause I would never hunt bears down at the Russian fishing areas while the salmon run is going on because of the amount of people there.

Why is it ok to slay 1000's of pounds of salmon there in front of people but kill a 200 pound black bear and your the devil ????!!!!!

The answer of people are scared of guns is unacceptable.

Maybe he should have used a spear to gore a big hole in it like a hook does to fish.

The 150 yard corridor is only closed in june and july.

--

The violation I see is to leave the viscera in plain site of trails.

The regs state viscera must be moved out of plain site of roads and trails.

No you aren't the devil, but you have no consideration for public safety. What would have happened if the hunter had just woulnded the bear and it charged one of the fisherman in the area? I think it was in very poor taste if it did happen as it is being laid out.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Why is it ok to slay 1000's of pounds of salmon there in front of people but kill a 200 pound black bear and your the devil ????!!!!!

The answer of people are scared of guns is unacceptable.

Maybe he should have used a spear to gore a big hole in it like a hook does to fish.

The 150 yard corridor is only closed in june and july.

--

The violation I see is to leave the viscera in plain site of trails.

The regs state viscera must be moved out of plain site of roads and trails.
    I don't know enough details about this particular story to chime in on it - but as for your question, sometime in the past 10-20 years it seems like it has become more acceptable for people to impose their beliefs on others.

I'm not sure why people who have no problem killing fish scream bloody murder if someone kills Bambi or Smokey Bear; I'm equally as puzzled as to why people who eat meat or wear leather have an issue with hunting.

We've got more than our share of those idjits in maryland, and sounds like anchorage has a pretty fair share as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast