Thread: Sheenjek maps?

Default Sheenjek maps?

I am trying to order the 63,360 scale topo maps that cover the Sheenjek River from Last Lake to the Koness River. Does anybody have an internet ref to an index map for these maps in AK, know a map shop in AK that I can call to help out or happen to know the actual quad names for this stretch of the river? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

CG

http://www.mytopo.com/map.cfm

I use the people above and make my own map just the way I want it. Type in "Sheenjek River" Pick Alaska. And then you can follow from there. My last map took 3 days to get to me. Nice work too.

Default USGS-REI-MyTopo

We're looking at backup plans in case Interior flooding pushes us to another river area. At the USGS office (4230 University Dr, Anchorage), I looked at the Sheenjek on their 1:63,360 maps. Staff there was very helpful and their file system was simple to use. The office is set up to accomodate close inspection of the maps before you buy - $6/page I think. The Sheenjek though was broken up into 3 or more maps, with only a corner of some maps useful. By the time you trim and tape the sections together, you've wasted a lot of map. The maps are printed on what looks like plain paper.

The staff there mentioned REI, where I found the mapping software could be centered on your area of interest. The Sheenjek was still 3 maps, but you can center each segment so that the remaining smaller maps are more useful. $10/page and waterproof paper.

The site posted by Caspar50 seems to work well and offers the same advantages, including waterproof paper. Good luck on your hunt.

You can get raster images (.tiff) of topo maps here for free:

http://agdc.usgs.gov/data/usgs/geoda...drglist_A.html

Not sure where the index is located. If find one topo, the others sheet drawing names are listed in the margins.

I have had good service from www.mytopo.com and hence have continued to utilize their service.

Thanks everybody for the help - I have what I need. CG