Thread: KOTZ Caribou questions

Default KOTZ Caribou questions

Hey Guys basic question on Cothing/stuff for this Caribou hunt.

1- Are hip boots or rubber knee highs really needed? Wiggy waders?
    2- What are the temps around Sept 12th?
    3- Should I get a Wolf Tag?
    4- Regs state: meat must be left on the bone. I have always cut out all the rib meat between the ribs. If this is done does it meet the intent of the regs? Or if I have a high strung game warden will I be in trouble?
    5- Is a electric bear fence worth the weight and hassle?

Thanks Guys...

Steveo

Default Two answers

Yes, electric bear fences are worth the weight & hassle - no doubt about that.

It's going to be wet - rubber boots of some sort are called for. Which ones - depends on your tolerance for being wet!!

It will most likely be quite cool at that time also. How cool - depends on the year - I have no real answers on that one or the others.

Default Answers on OTZ caribou hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Hey Guys basic question on Cothing/stuff for this Caribou hunt.

1- Are hip boots or rubber knee highs really needed? Wiggy waders?
    2- What are the temps around Sept 12th?
    3- Should I get a Wolf Tag?
    4- Regs state: meat must be left on the bone. I have always cut out all the rib meat between the ribs. If this is done does it meet the intent of the regs? Or if I have a high strung game warden will I be in trouble?
    5- Is a electric bear fence worth the weight and hassle?

Thanks Guys...

Steveo
    Hello Steve,

I prefer hip boots up there. You never know when you're gonna run into water out on the tundra, and it makes getting in and out of the raft a LOT easier.

Temps are anybody's guess. Hope for the best and plan for the worst. My money is on cooler weather this fall though.

Yes, get a wolf tag. Or two.

If you're hunting GMU 23 you are required to salvage the ribs on the bone. This is outlined I think on page 20 of this year's hunting regulations. Bring a copy of the regs with you, and look it over carefully before your hunt!

Leave the electric fence home. Yes, there are grizzlies around, but I have never had trouble to the extent where I was worried. For the extra cautious, you could consider a fence around your meat cache.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I hunted out of Kotz about the same time as you last year. Temps were mild, we did have frost in the morning but it was warm during the day.
    Hip boots or rubber boots are nice to have but are not required. I brought mine and did not wear them. Wore Danner Prong Horns the whole time.
    We had wolf tags, but never saw a wolf. I would have one though. Meat must be left on the bone period, you will be ticketed if caught otherwise.
    Bear fences are great. We did not have one for our hunt in Kotz and never did see a bear. Some guys that hunted before us did see bears every day though. Be smart with your meat, food and bloody clothing and you should be fine.

Good luck, who are you flying out with?

On pg 104 of the handy dandy paper version of the regs it says,"Meat taken in unit 23 prior to Oct. 1st must remain on the bones of the front quarters, hind quarters, and ribs, until removed from the field or processed for human consumption."
    If you cut and wrap your meat at camp, is that "processed"?
    Would the quarters be the leg cut off at each joint with the body? If so, then you could bone out the hip bone and the spine after removing the ribs at their joint with the spine.
    Oh, just checked the "definitions" page. Front and hind quarters end at the joint with the spine/pelvis. So you can bone out the pelvis/ spine once quarters and ribs are removed.
    Have a good hunt and throw a side of ribs on the fire one night. A side of ribs will feed you and a buddy for a couple days. Don't use spruce wood if your cooking tho. Try and use willow/alder, or cottonwood.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

Checkout wunderground.com for the weather. You can do a search for the dates you are going and it will give you the historic temps for those dates. That'll give you some idea of what temps to expect.