Thread: Whittier Report- Sunday Aug 10, 08

Default Whittier Report- Sunday Aug 10, 08

Went out to Whittier today, milled around for abit then went back to our pink filled bay and I was catching em every cast. Amazing how many pinks were there... when we first came in and spooked them we thought we were getting hit by our wake only to find there was a couple swells 2-3 ft high of solid fish, thousands of them if not tens of thousands.

After catching about 20-30 or so we went out to the entrance of the bay with a new jig (smaller hooks) for rockfish.

1st drop landed me a small 10 inch or so cod
    2nd drop- 4 inch rockfish
    3rd drop- 16 inch lingcod (not greenling)
    4th drop- Yelloweye rockfish, decent dize, keeper.
    5th drop- Greenling
    6th drop- Another small cod
    7th Drop- Copper rockfish (another good keeper size) - mom caught this one
    8th drop- Snagged a starfish from 160 ft
    9th drop- something quite big and lost it

It was nice to use the proper equipment and actually catch some fish in whittier!!! I was amazed to catch a lingcod; always wanted to try one- just wish it was bigger so I could have kept it.

I also have always wanted to catch a yelloweye so that was great (especialy since it was a fairly good size)

All in all a great day on the water- landed one pink 3 oz away from being a trophy fish aswell =/;

As for silvers reports coming in from radio transmissions sounded grim; things seemed scattered and very slow.

It was cloudy but didnt rain a drop- once again great day

-Nick

Glad to hear you had such a great day, Nick! No pictures?

Thanks Brian, got a couple of the rockfish; gonna post em tommorow after i have my appointment to get contacts.

I think Im gonna compile a pic gallery of my years catch in a month or so and post all the pics of good times in bad weather this year as well

-Take care,
    Nick

Hey Nick,

Thousands of pinks? Wow, sounds like a crazy fun time... do you enjoy eating pinks? I'm not a fan of the taste, but they sure are fun to catch down at Bird Creek

We are heading out of Whittier this weekend for some fun, relative newbies, gonna hit some of the close coves and do some trolling. I would love to see what you are talking about reference the bay full of thousands of pinks like that! That must be some crazy sight... Mind sharing the bay, via Pm maybe?

Thanks,

-Ken

By now most of them are starting to spawn, caught maybe 4 bright ones for 20 starting to show green- We kept one ; I always bring fish to a friends house and cook it over an open fire and it usually turns out good.

Ill send you a pm

We also had great day out of Whittier sunday in a cove on Esther island, silvers and pinks jumping all over the place, the southern mouth of Esther passage also had a bunch of fish jumping.

Each of us caught about 15-20 fish, mostly silvers. The ones we kept were so large that I looked real close at their mouths to see if they were kings.

Also caught 5 copper rockfish pretty much by accident in only 15 feet of water. I'd cast my red squid stinger near a school of salmon and the dang rockfish would come up from the bottom chase it down.

BTW, lessons learned are that rockfish spines are SHARP! Got me a few times even through the thick neoprene glove I was wearing. I'd never caught any before

Saw a bunch of boats on the water but was really surprised to see that we were the only ones the cove

Sounds like I need to head out of Whittier again I've been debating Seward vs. Whittier this Friday, looks like Whittier might win out.

Make sure you thoroughly clean your hands after getting *****ed by a rockfish, those spines are full of bacteria and can make for some nasty infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    We also had great day out of Whittier sunday in a cove on Esther island, silvers and pinks jumping all over the place, the southern mouth of Esther passage also had a bunch of fish jumping.
    Esther Island?! They're getting closer! I like fishing through Esther passage, nice and quiet when we went through there.

Now you got me all excited for the weekend... when is Friday anyways????

-Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    1st drop landed me a small 10 inch or so cod
    2nd drop- 4 inch rockfish
    3rd drop- 16 inch lingcod (not greenling)
    4th drop- Yelloweye rockfish, decent dize, keeper.
    5th drop- Greenling
    6th drop- Another small cod
    7th Drop- Copper rockfish (another good keeper size) - mom caught this one
    8th drop- Snagged a starfish from 160 ft
    9th drop- something quite big and lost it

-Nick
    So what happened on drops # 10 to ???? Surely you didn't stop fishing after 9 "drops"????
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

9 drops was in general probably was around 12-15 drops total and yes i stopped after that.. sorry pics wont be up today because i havent been home since around 7 am