Thread: Fairbanks to Deadhorse how long?

Default Fairbanks to Deadhorse how long?

How many hours does it take to drive a pickup from Fairbanks to Deadhorse if you are driving straight through? Current road conditions? Heading up on Sunday for a Monday fly out to hunt Caribou. Any info would be great. I am bring 15-30 gallons extra fuel, two spare tires (tires and rims), another tire, tools, duct tape, clear plastic and etc. Just looking for how long it would take to drive straight through and are the fuel stops open 24/7? Would you recommend renting a SAT phone for the week (Mostly for the drive)? I am going to throw in a portable CB what channel do the truckers monitor?
    Thanks,
    Tim

It's 490 miles. "If" you could run non-stop at an average of 50mph (and that is fast), it would be about 10 hours.

As for fuel, make it the 30 gallons or more. Fuel availability is very limited and you'll pay a LOT for it beyond Hilltop.

SAT phone would be good. CB is mandatory. Monitor 19 at all times.

I did a pretty detailed post on the haul road several months ago. You can read it here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...924#post190924
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

hey man we made it to deadhorse in a little over 7 hours but thats not stopping and taking pictures. As far as fuel that will be plenty just fill up your truck prior to leaving fairbanks at the hilltop cafe and then your next place to top off is right passed the yukon, and then Coldfoot is the last place to get fuel (great food) before getting to deadhorse.

Sat phone is a good idea because you never know whats gonna happen but there is a fair amount of traffic on the road.

enjoy your trip

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    hey man we made it to deadhorse in a little over 7 hours but thats not stopping and taking pictures. As far as fuel that will be plenty just fill up your truck prior to leaving fairbanks at the hilltop cafe and then your next place to top off is right passed the yukon, and then Coldfoot is the last place to get fuel (great food) before getting to deadhorse.

Sat phone is a good idea because you never know whats gonna happen but there is a fair amount of traffic on the road.

enjoy your trip

Richie

You must have been hauling *** We left Wasilla last year at 7:00am got to Fairbanks about 1, and arrived in Happy Valley about 10:30. Did stop for food, fuel and other needed breaks so it's a long trip.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

we were moving but the road was in great condition and it wasn't too busy at the time

We usually make it in 7-8 hours. Leave from Fairbanks, gas up in ColdFoot, then use 5 gallon cans while we are on the haul road, and fill up in Coldfoot if we have to on the way home.

Two years ago did a marathon trip. Up after work on Friday, shot a small bull in the morning and back that night to sleep in my own bed. Not fun by any means, but it was worth it!

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. So do you put your meat in game bags and then the cooler with ice for the trip home? Can you get ice in deadhorse? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    hey man we made it to deadhorse in a little over 7 hours.
    Thats a 70mph average on a gravel road with a 50mph speed limit. I wonder why hunters get a bad name on the haul road?

Crumm: I sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Thats a 70mph average on a gravel road with a 50mph speed limit. I wonder why hunters get a bad name on the haul road?
    I was wondering the same thing. It took me over 4 hours to tow the boat to the Yukon.

rambling raven I think its pretty simple, you're towing a boat. I have made the same trip in the same amount of time without hurting myself, my vehicle, anybody else, all in the same time not making a bad name for hunters.

Default Haul road

I've pulled a boat up the haul road several times. It always took us about 12 hours. Take your time and enjoy the trip! We always stopped and ate at Coldfoot. People drive it entirely too fast. That's why they need 2 spare tires. 80mph on a rough road will destroy tires. In all my trips, I never had one flat tire or as much as one crack in my windshield. When I see a truck, I pull off and give them room. I never had a CB either but it might have been nice. Definitely not a necessity. My vehicles have never been very new either but mechanically sound. Just take your time.

I've stopped hunting up there. Between the kamikaze drivers, hunters stopped in the middle of the road, trooper harrassement, and the sickening amount of pay hunters now on the Ivishak....It's just a shame. But back to your question, about 12 hours for a safe enjoyable drive.