Thread: Friesen Cabins

Default Friesen Cabins

Has anyone dealt with Friesen Cabins out of Palmer? I have checked out his website and it seems like a good idea for me. I have limited carpenter experience and he will come in and build a dried in cabin and the rest is up to me. I also like the idea of being able to finance for the big chunks i.e. roof and foundation. Just interested in what people have heard or experienced with him. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Has anyone dealt with Friesen Cabins out of Palmer? I have checked out his website and it seems like a good idea for me. I have limited carpenter experience and he will come in and build a dried in cabin and the rest is up to me. I also like the idea of being able to finance for the big chunks i.e. roof and foundation. Just interested in what people have heard or experienced with him. Thanks
    I don't have any personal experience BUT I know he has been advertising his packages a long time (20yrs + or -).

That is probably a good thing.

I've talked with some people on his reference list and of course they are all singing praises. I like what I see on his sight and if I ever get an email back from him I hope to break ground next spring/summer. Anyone else ever hear of or work with him?

Freisen does a good job. I have never had him build a cabin, but I have worked with others that have and they like him.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

He is currently building a cabin for one of my coworkers. I havent made it up there yet to check it out but he is really happy with his work so far. The price seems to be pretty good from what I have seen and what he is charging my buddy. I just finished putting a roof on my place so I will have time to go up and check out his work more!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

As long as Jay has a good crew framing for him his places are good for the price. Right now a friend/customer of mine is doing work for Jay and the work is good.

Jay gets busy and gets spread kind of thin at times because of it.

He had another contractor build my cabin and along the way, Jay forgot things that were spec'd out in the contract, or he'd tell the contractor the wrong information.

An example were my sono tubes. The cabin was spec'd at 48" tall tubes, and Jay told the contractor to put them in at 18" tall. Thankfully, I made the trip up to Talkeetna and caught the error before the concrete was poured.

The were other things like the example that happened, but all were corrected, no problem. It was just frustrating for the contractor and myself. The situation started to wear on the contractor and he finally asked for my phone number because it began to get like a comedy of errors. I'd show up, see the errors (some times as they were happening) and I'd tell the contractor to hold on, because it wasn't right. He'd tell me that Jay told him that's the way it was supposed to be, so I'd have to call Jay, refresh his memory, and then hand the phone over to the contractor or have the contractor call him so he could tell him what I was telling him to do was right.

Default I would recommend Jay

I had Jay build a 16'x20' 640 sq. ft. cabin a few miles west of the Deshka last winter & am very pleased.The construction is good & solid,he is easy to deal with,down to earth kind of guy.It was finished a bit later than planned,but through no fault of Jay's...lots of overflow on the lake & had to wait for it to firm up,but he kept trying & kept me informed.A window got cracked in building which he pointed out to me & replaced...no hassles.
    You may sign a contract with Friesens...but Jay is the kind of person I would make a handshake deal with.Good luck with your project.
    Buzzy

Default Check out this guy

There is a guy named Steve with Birch Mountain Builders that does great cabins and is alot cheaper than Freisen. He has a web site
    birchmtnbuilder.com he does all sorts of cabins and has a great selection of cabins to build from, or does anything you want. Give him a try.............

Default website correction

When you're looking up the Birch Mountain Builders website, add an "s" to the end of the site. Couldn't find it until I googled the company. Enter as www.birchmtnbuilders.com. That will get you there. Thanks for the link!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I know the guy who owns and operates NEMESIS ENGINEERING LLC, his name is Vince and he is on this site.. oh wait thats me...

I don't build down in the matsu area anymore but am willing to help steer folks in the right direction of steps and planning, material types and such things you need to get started...

Nemesis engineering is a log and frame home co... though i do lots of other work... if you need any advice feel free to ask.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here