Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anybody have a hydrofoil on their outboard?

Default anybody have a hydrofoil on their outboard?

i was thinking of putting one on my 75 yami f/s. what are the pros and cons? as i understand it they are supposed to help you get on step right? any info is appreciated, thanks

I've had one on my 40 hp Yamaha almost since the day I got it. It does help getting out of the hole and on step much quicker. At least it does on my 16' Sea Runner. I "A/B" compared on the lake on the same day with the same load when I first got it and there was a real difference. I have the "DolFin" or something like that...

Wink

I have a DolFin on both of my OB's. They are great, would not think of not having it on. My 20' Chrestliner Eagle sport fisher with a 150hp OB almost jumps out of the water compaired to the way it was without it and the trim control os greatly enhansed. Even the 10HP OB on my 16' drift boat is much better, most drift boats with OB's burry the transom on power. The DolFin lifts the back end and improves handling.

Don't give it another thought and get one!!!

TL

Now just to represent the other side of the coin....
    I have a friend from outside that has a 21' Starcraft with twin 40 Yamahas that he leaves up here & uses to fish halibut & silvers out of Homer & Seward 2 weeks a year. I stuck some on for him this year hoping to get him some better fuel mileage. He didn't like the way it felt with them on so they took them off & gained almost 3 mph & used less fuel. What's up with that? They were sized right for the engines & put on according to manafacture instr. Everyone else I've talked to had nothing but good to say about them & like Tight Lines wouldn't be without them.
    Fixed his another way. Before he left he picked up a 130 hp Honda 4 stroke to install this winter :-)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Vance,

Perhaps his engines were mounted too deeply and the fins were adding drag?

I need to put one on my kicker, as it should help on dinghy. With just me onboard the dinghy the 8 horse gets me up and zipping, but with the kids on board it just squats down.

Possible Paul.
    The guy that mounted them built a short lift on the transom saying it was neccessary to get them to the right height (originally built for short shafts), but he may not have got them high enough. Anyone can make a mistake....
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Vance,

Perhaps his engines were mounted too deeply and the fins were adding drag?

I need to put one on my kicker, as it should help on dinghy. With just me onboard the dinghy the 8 horse gets me up and zipping, but with the kids on board it just squats down.
    Actually, this is very common. When you trim the engine to put the bow down, because of the additional bite from the foil, the boat goes slower and fuel consumption can go up. Because of this extra push, it also can get the boat on plane faster. I personally like Permatrims the best for their solid construction as they are made out of aluminum not plastic. I lost some speed on every boat that I have owned (3) that I put foils on. But, what I have gained (better ride in the chop, quicker planing, and increased stability) far outweigh the tiny amount of top end that is lost and the slight increase in fuel consumption.

Default Dole Fin

I have tried them & my favorite is the Hydro-Shield bolts to Skeg and protects prop,
    I used it on Paul,s 8 HP on my Grumman Sport boat was noticible in how it kept the bow down. I have used it on several Zodiaks and felt safe alone, in wind with the added bow
    pressure.

They work great, and are best on an outboard that has tilt&trim so that once you get up on plane you can trim up a bit and raise the bow. I use an Edge one piece from Cabela's on my boat with an F115 and it gets up on step quicker with it than without it. Installed one on my folks' 16' boat w/45Honda and it practically jumps up on plane in 1/3 the time, the bow doesn't go way up anymore.
    They do get you on step quicker, saves fuel, and can raise your bow once cruising along which is necessary for less drag.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Do these work with jets? I have been having a few issues with my get on step and planing as fast as I would like. I have a Yami 90/65 on a 1860 G3 WOFJ.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Do these work with jets? I have been having a few issues with my get on step and planing as fast as I would like. I have a Yami 90/65 on a 1860 G3 WOFJ.
    I have yet to see one. The lower unit is very different between jets and props so there would be nowhere to bolt the hydrofoil as they bolt onto the lower unit on a prop setup just above the propeller. But, just because I have never seen one doesn't mean that there isn't one..... Your probably not getting on step as quick as you like because you used to have a two stroke and two strokes ROCK when it comes to hole shots because of their significant torque.

I did have a 2-stroke, but the green-pinko-commie-eco-terrorists made me buy a 4-stoke by threatening to self combust in my boat. Do you know how hard it is to get grease stains out of your boat?

Wow I bet I get in trouble for that.

I did have a 2-stroke, but the green-pinko-commie-eco-terrorists made me buy a 4-stoke by threatening to self combust in my boat. Do you know how hard it is to get grease stains out of your boat?

Wow I bet I get in trouble for that.

Well, if you do, it was still funny....

Default Have one

on our 40 yamaha on a 16 foot river boat. It REALLY helps get on step faster, a bit better fuel economy, and less cavitating on corners. Wouldn't run without one.

Where did you get it? I want to try one out. Did you install it yourself, or is it a shop job?

Where did you get it? I want to try one out. Did you install it yourself, or is it a shop job?
    You should be asking if it has a jet pump. Lots of riverboats runs without jets.

Northway, I took from your post that yours was on a jet. Please clarify what type of OB you have one on.

Thanks T.R.

Had one on my 90 and one on my 175. They give you so much additional control it isn't funny. When cutting wood I can load the boat, run the CMC down to the bottom, and then increase throttle and tilt down, bow comes down and the boats on plane. Also will work very well in rough water.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default not a jet

It was on a 40 horse prop. Sorry.

Default I guess I will end your search...sorry :(

The reason why you are not going to find a hydrofoil for a jet pump is because almost nothing of the jet unit sticks below the boat and into the free water. A hydrofoil must have water flowing over it rapidly for it to work. On a boat with a jet pump, you can see where this would be really hard to do as nothing sticks down, and if something was designed that did that defeats the purpose of a shallow running jet boat because as soon as you put something so far beneath the boat to get that leverage that the hydrofoil produces, you now have something down there to hit rocks, sand bars, logs, and the multitude of other things that create trouble. To sum it up, what you want does not exist and can not exist do to the reasoning above. People are going to continue to post that they have one on this and on that and it worked great on their prop motors, but they fail to realize that you have a jet pump. I do sympathize with you, I have the same problem on my jet pump at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast