Thread: Valdez Fishing Questions

Arrow Valdez Fishing Questions

Alright I am pretty new to this sea fishing. I have been paying charters for many years now and I finially bought a boat for myself. I have made one run to Valdez already. I had some luck in Jack's Bay with salmon. I really would like to find some good spots for some rock fish and the butts. Any of you out there have any luck around Bligh Island? Fishing the Northern coast? I am in a 22' boat so I am not really ready to bring it out to Montague or Hinchinbrook. I am set up with a good GPS/Fish Finder. Can anyone here help point me in the right direction?
    What about shrimp pots? I had some luck setting them out there near Alyeska area in about 120' of water. Where would be another good spot to try? I am pulling them by hand stil so I would like to keep them is relativetly shallow water 200- or so if possible.

Thanks for all of your help so far, I am finding loads of useful info so far just reading these other great topics!

come on guys, anyone gonna help out the new guy? lol

Default Check Out

My post "Valdez Silvers", has lots of info...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    My post "Valdez Silvers", has lots of info...
    Yeh, thanks for talking about the comm fishers! I did not know about that. So anyone out there know anything about shrimping and finding some flat fish out there? Bligh Island?

Yes, Bligh Island would be a good spot to try for Halibut and Lings. Shimp pots are best dropped in 300ft of water over hard rocky bottom. Places like Jacks bay.

Well thanks for the info " Steelieguy ". I plan on trying Bligh Island. I was really hoping someone out there could shoot me a little more info about fishing that island. Any land marks that you have had good luck with? Where is a good place to find out a little more info about shrimping? Any of you guys ever mounted one of those open hub style anchor winches? Use them for your shrimp pots to?

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Any of you guys ever mounted one of those open hub style anchor winches? Use them for your shrimp pots to?
    I used to have an anchor winch but they are a big pain in the butt to pull an anchor in any current, don't even like it for shrimp pots, too uncomfortable, slow and annoying.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Cool

how slow are those capstan winches? about 75ft a min? That is doable for me. Well back to my main questions, anyone have any info about Bligh island? I am gonna try to head out there, I just was hoping one of you gentelmen would shoot me in the right direction for some Halibut and rock fish. Come on Please!

Default shrimping

Powderhound, last year was my first year shrimping around Valdez but after we got in about 300' and baited it with 1-2 coho carcusses and a 2-3 cans of cat food we tore em up. I dont know what your shrimp pot is like but ours had a hole in the middle that we could put roughly a 12oz tupperware (Gladware?) or some sort of plastic bottle that put the cat food in and cut small holes in it.