Thread: How long are Reds good to eat??

Default How long are Reds good to eat??

I have a question. at what point to Sockeyes loose their table quality. are they still good when they start to turn red? What color are they when they hit the russian? I know the closer to saltwater the better but when are they not their best? Thanks for all your help guys!!

If they have a hint of color - maybe light pink skin - they're still generally good. Once they turn fire engine red, though, you're better off throwing them back. As for their color in the Russian, it ranges from ocean bright silver to dark red.

In my opinion any pinkish color on a female and she goes back. The meat on a male is generally good even when they are pretty well red as long as the tail doesn't have any areas turning white yet.

If I can't see my reflection in them, they go back in the drink.

I keep them if they are a little reddish. The head will have the slightest hint of green. They will be mostly silver colored still and the meat will be bright red.

In my opinion reds last the longest of all five salmon. The meat will be of high quality for a longer time in fresh water.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Last year I fished the Russian on the second run for the first time(won't do it again if I can help it).The majority I caught were just starting to turn. Couldn't tell the difference when it came to taste and texture.