Thread: Honda outboard mechanic

Default Honda outboard mechanic

I have 25 horse Honda's and was wondering if anyone knows a Honda mechanic that I can talk to about a problem. I am really bush and it would not be prudent to ship this in for a diagnositic. Looking for some help here, last year when I tried AK Mining and Diving I was told the mechanics don't get paid to talk on the phone.

Thanks,

George

Post your problem we can get it figured out......or try talking to the Honda guys Kenia way they were the only ones to help us with a gear problem on a jet unit when it was over revving.

Default trouble shooting

Kenai has helped me too. There is a lead mechanic there that is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. I want to say his name is Dan or Dave, but I forget.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    I have 25 horse Honda's and was wondering if anyone knows a Honda mechanic that I can talk to about a problem. I am really bush and it would not be prudent to ship this in for a diagnositic. Looking for some help here, last year when I tried AK Mining and Diving I was told the mechanics don't get paid to talk on the phone.

Thanks,

George
    George,

They are not paid to talk on the phone. They are not on salary. They get paid by the book that says how many hours it takes for the job that they perform. They get done sooner - good for them They get done later - bad for them Please post your engine's troubles here and we will see what we can do. I have worked on hondas before.

AMDS is full of bs and I'd rather shot anywhere else before going there.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I have four Honda's and one is starting to be difficult to start in the afternoon. Last time it happened I found a loose sparkplug but this time it all looked fine. It starts fine in the mornings but after it has been running a bit it seems to have trouble starting.

If you could get the name of the place in Kenai that would be a great help.

Thanks for the help.

George

I would start would fresh fuel, and replace the spark plug. Sounds like a spark plug may be fouling.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have four Honda's and one is starting to be difficult to start in the afternoon. Last time it happened I found a loose sparkplug but this time it all looked fine. It starts fine in the mornings but after it has been running a bit it seems to have trouble starting.

If you could get the name of the place in Kenai that would be a great help.

Thanks for the help.

George
    Run a compression check. This will give you an idea what's going on cylinder wise.

Worst Case...You may have a valve that is tight or worse cracked. It's odd that it starts good cold but harder when warm.

Could be....a fuel delivery problem????? Need to check the fuel bowls after sitting for a while. Also check for debris and water in the bowls.

Dupont,
    I know what you mean about good cold but warmed up tough???

Thanks guys for the ideas.

New batch of silvers came in and the rainbow fishing is good.

Thanks again,

George

Stormchasers in Seward are excellent on Honda's. I drive past the Anchorage guys and go to Seward everytime.
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((
    Rich Adventures
    PWS is my office. Can't get better than that.

Default Other forums to consider

Good evening George,

You may want to consider posting your questions on these other forums as well.

http://www.hondapartsus.com/

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin//YaBB.pl

I have found them to be very helpful in the past.

Regards,

yhc

Dupont,
    I know what you mean about good cold but warmed up tough???

Thanks guys for the ideas.

New batch of silvers came in and the rainbow fishing is good.

Thanks again,

George
    Thanks George,
    I was trying to figure out how to get to you.Cheap..what I am thinking is you may have burnt the cylinder that had the loose plug. Not bad enough to be apparent on the spot but enough to fail quicker. I even thought about a coil pack. May be worth swapping some parts around if you can before getting to deep.

Could also be a bad lifter. The warm oil theory.

I know we are throwing a bunch of stuff at you but better then sending it back to find out it's terminal.

John

On Edit:

I am currently away from home so I can't get the number for the Kenia shop. State Cup Soccer Tournament has me in mobile mode.

This may not relate but I had a dirt bike that did the same thing. It would start right up cold but once it got warm the only way I could start it was by coast starting it. Turned out it was a bad stator. So I would take Du Pont Spinners advice and try the coil pack and like he said do some part swapping.

Default Stormchasers

I second the Stormchasers recomendation. Ask for Carl the number is (907) 224-3536.